Horn not working

Deville

Not a Member
2000 Frieghtliner FL80

My city horn's aren't working. I bought 1 new horn thatIi knew I needed because the wire harness broke off the horn.

Pluged the new horn in & it's not working. Disconnected the other horn & connected new horn still not working. Fuse is good, power is going to the connections. Turned the key on & retired both connections, still nothing. I Cleaned the connections. I poped the horn pad out of the steering wheel it seems to be making contact.

I'm kind of leaning towards the horn pad being bad at this point. But I wanted to hear other thoughts & suggestions first.

moose

Veteran Expediter
Can't help you with the horn, but if you ever have an antler issues, i know a good tree.

Monty

Expert Expediter
try jumping from the battery, (or any hot spot), see if the horn works ...if it does, it has to be a fuse or the horn ring .... there is a small wire that hooks up with a spade connector, (on most applications), sometimes it simple comes off ... btw .... there is a spring in that thing ... watch it does not get away and leave ya beeperless!

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ceeck the horn swich, relay and wire for continuity from plug to plug could be simple as a corroded wire

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Pardon my ignorance but does that truck have an airbag? If it does the clock spring could be bad.

Sent from my VM670 using EO Forums

Deville

Not a Member
Pardon my ignorance but does that truck have an airbag? If it does the clock spring could be bad.

Sent from my VM670 using EO Forums

No airbag.

I removed & disconnected the horn ring. I'm going to get a new one & see if that works.

What is a spade connector?

jt1980a

Active Expediter
You can buy an air powered horn from a party supply store. They only last as long as the can has air but if your using your horn your probably flipping someone off anyway and you will definately get your point across as those things are loud. Especially when you have it extended out your window. But.... if you relly want to get the regular horn fixed I'd test the wires coming off your steering wheel horn ignited thingee depressed. If you have power there then I would keep moving down the line. Jump to your fuse box and slam the test light right into the fuse slot, a small 4 lb sledge hammer and coupled good blows to the test light will ensure you are reaching the wire (just kidding about the hammer thing, dont actually do that), with the fuse removed and then installed (assuming you are able to pull the test light back out of the firewall and finally through the fuse box). Still have power with the horn depressed? Have a beer & two excedrin. Now you are going to want to test the wires on the engine side of the firewall and keep working towards the horn checking every junction. Remember to get your test light shoved into those wires good and far so over the next few months water can get @ the copper wires. and start to corrode them, even though water is an excellent conductor of electricity.

Deville

Not a Member
Horn is repaired. I had power at the wheel & horn connections. I had to replace the horn ring & horn

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Hey,you can get a job at a Freightliner dealer.
Keep replacing parts until it works.

Deville

Not a Member
Hey,you can get a job at a Freightliner dealer.
Keep replacing parts until it works.

It really wasn't like that I tested all the wores & connections they had power. SO the obvious was that I needed a ring & a horn.

I did leave out one part, a while back I was doing my paperwork & my horn was on it's way out it was vey low. It sounded more like a squeak, anyway it was barley audible from inside the cab.

One day I was leaning on the sterring wheel doing my paper work & I was pushing in the horn, i'm not sure for how long, but it was long nough for the horn ring to start smoking.

So that was kind of in the back of mine he whole time when they entore system went down.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I had a Mack dealer change the air compressor. Problem not solved so he changed the air drier. Then he changed governor.
He thought I should pay for the compressor when Wabco denied the warranty claim a few months later.
I told him that they should have changed the govenor first since it was the defective part.
I hate any dealer that hires parts changers instead of mechanics.
I was just messing with ya.