Honeymoon is over???

xxiv24

Expert Expediter
That's funny. I don't ever recall a load one honeymoon.
I recall when i started a year ago, a flurry of nothing but short loads for about 5-6 weeks until i started to complain and requesting longer loads. After that it was all good until Oct a year later. I have personally never had any major hububs with dispatch, a couple of minor things but nothing noteworthy.
Over the course of the year, however, there are a few points of interest that i will bring up...mostly because i can. :)
1. THE ABILITY TO HAUL 3 SKIDS VS 2 SKIDS OR LESS - This happens to be my biggest sore spot. I have been told on a couple of instances that because i have a sleeper that i should be classed as a cargo van. Hmmmm, really? Over the course of a year i have lost maybe 4 loads that would not fit...this usually is because of dimensions being conveyed wrong...often a shipper doesnt include the height of the skid in thier equasion. Also it is not often considered that i can haul 4 skids if they are stacked. But the simple fact of the matter is that the majority of my loads are 2 skids or 1. Now I know some of you are naturally thinking yeah Scott, but they are only bidding what you can haul. True. I have also considered the full size van in my figure based on what others haul when i ask them. Unless everyone that i know lies to me, then what i have observed holds true. They as well haul, on average the majority 2 skids or less. In fact, one driver i know personally, could haul 3 skids and spent a great deal of time sitting around in seemingly good areas for days at a time and still come away with 2 skids or less perhaps with 3 skids or more around 4-5 times in 7 months. Does this constitute better loads with a full sized sprinter? I think not. All this does is grant a full size sprinter more opportunities to get a load based on what he/she can haul.
Based on this, i have to say when i am told that i should be a cargo van and get cargo van rates because of what i can haul, i should respond with then everytime a full sized sprinter hauls 2 skids or less the he/she should get cargo van rates. I do not feel i should sacrifice my comfort on the road for the ability to get an off chance 3 skid load, which i might add pays no more than a 2 skid load. Nor will i be hauling around what should be a straight truck load and trashing my vehicles life span...in the end the owner pays for the damage, not the company.

2.GETTING THE LOAD INFO WITH LITTLE OR NO TIME TO ARRIVE- This gem has been cropping up a bit too much here lately, more so on the delivery than the pick-up. There is nothing like getting the message telling you about the amount of time calculated for you to get the load to the consignee on time only to discover you get to drive 700+ miles with little or no time to spare.
A big mitigating factor in this is the deadhead to the pick-up is not calculated in this time, nor is any delay at the shipper. On a few occaisions dispatch will grant extra time for shipper delays and sometimes not. I have noticed that the longer the load the less time, the shorter the load the more time....isn't that a bit askew somehow?

3. 0 SKIDS 0 WEIGHT - This is a fav of mine as well. This is simply dirty pool by the shipper, a typical nlmi manuever. As owners we all have weight limits on our vehicles and more often than not this dreaded dispatch will likely mean you are going to get more than you bargained for. What this means for the owner is more wear and tear and increased fuel consumption on a 3k plus load...or finding that the load will not fit on you at all, full sized or sleeper...a pot luck load if you will.
Bottom line, shouldn't the dispatcher know what you are hauling? After all as an owner i know that a load of anvils at 3500 pounds is more wear and tear on the vehicle as well as greater fuel consumption, as opposed to a box of cotton balls. Yet this kind of dispatch does not differentiate.

4. PAY INFO- This one is a hot topic of late. Alot of drivers are beginning to agree that it is becoming risky to haul a load before you know what it pays. I agree with them...it is common sense. Who out there wants to pull a load 1600 miles for 900 bucks? Not me and i would be urked at the surprise of it. When dispatched, the load info is entered on the system and sent to the driver. The pay info is done the same. I understand that it is difficult for the dispatcher to juggle all of those calls and get this info out to the driver, but isn't that information a part of the load? Cutting corners cause the increase in driver to dispatch call volume and also seems to be causing an alarming amount of growing distrust. Which brings us to...

5. TURNING DOWN LOADS- Just recently i was told by a reliable fellow that turning down a load less than 200 miles could be done without penalty. The next day a driver attempted to turn down such a load as was promptly told he would be put down to the bottom of the cue if he did so. Now I am a bit confused. Which is it? And that smells like forced dispatch.
After being here a little over a year, i know load ones freight lanes very well and therefor know the difference between a good spot and a bad one.
Recently i got a load to Toledo being told i would get a longer load there. Then got a call to pick up in adrian, mi going to Troy, mi. This load was not the long load i was looking for and so i declined it. Not 30secs later i am called by another dispatcher complaining about the decline and professing how i would be in a "much better" spot for a long load. The much better spot garnered me a 50 mile or so load and the end of my week...mmmmhmmmm. Much better....
Bottom line here, I believe it is my right as an owner to choose if i want the load or not and not have to be harassed by another dispatcher if i so decline a load.

This past Oct is the worst i have ever done in a year. Load One is in a slump, it happens to the best of 'em. All we can do as drivers is to ride the wave and make the best of it....something we should all be used to in this field. I recall my first check for a month at Nations Express was 24.00 and change...didn't think that could happen here, but with repairs fees and fuel on a 312 loaded mile week, my paycheck last fri was a whopping -690.00 and change. I remain optomistic that things will turn about, even if i have to start saying no more frequently to shorties or not, as an owner that ball is in my hands.
Lets get back to the drive less and make more as opposed to the drive less and eat hotdogs right? Or better yet, Load One, not One Load.
You can all find me in a nearby Pilot using my card for dogs, waiting for that elusive load to the moon. Hmmmm perhaps flying lessons and air freight....
Ya'll have a good one!!!:)

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
Oh My .... such doom & gloom first thing in the morning :(

Is it cos I put that post on about snow in Monroe? Has that depressed ppl to write such things? :(

Where did all the faith in John and dispatchers suddenly evaporate to?

Lulls happen, its no-ones fault. Take the good with the bad and keep smiling :)

Oh and one other thing IMO .....

If you have a gripe then a pm is the way to go.

As we say in UK ....

Don't put out your dirty washing for all to see !!

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Oh My .... such doom & gloom first thing in the morning :(

Is it cos I put that post on about snow in Monroe? Has that depressed ppl to write such things? :(

Where did all the faith in John and dispatchers suddenly evaporate to?

Lulls happen, its no-ones fault. Take the good with the bad and keep smiling :)

Oh and one other thing IMO .....

If you have a gripe then a pm is the way to go.

As we say in UK ....

Don't put out your dirty washing for all to see !!

Venting is good therapy....:D

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Implosion is always a bad thing LOL :p

But there is a difference to venting and being rude ;)

The rude was the "fool" comment indeed....

Hopefully a divorce is in short order....

when the going gets tough, you can really then see the attitudes and experience or the ME thingee...as long as there was gravy to be had with the meat and potatoes all was ok...

pssst..we have a looong waiting list...no one will be missed...

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Yes I am a Cheerleader...but I have issues at times also, 2 of them in the last 2 days..one was taken care of before i could react, the other is still a burr in my shorts and i won't forget it...I know why it happened, don't like it, but thats life...

Yea i accept runs without asking how much they pay (unless they appear off the wall up ft) for the most part...and most times all is good, but there are those that I don't alwayys agree with...but I certainly don't look at it as someone trying to get one over on me and take advantage of me because they know I don't ask about pay. I look at it as they did the best they could to get the load and they paid me the best the could...if I look at it any other way, then I have to look at those in dispatch in a different light..and i look at them as a extension of John Elliott and that they do their job as a reflexion of how John would do it...So there is no chance that I am about to think these people are working to take advantage of me our any of us...its just not happening as far as I am concerned.

We all have something we can feel screwed over over, I used to forum to voice my displeasure a while back, and was in short time shown the that Load 1 does what it can to right what I thought was a wrong...I wasn't wrong, but efforts were made on multiple levels from admin and management to at least explain why what happened happened, (even though I whined like a baby before instead of seeking the info 1st) The people at Load 1 took the time to at a minimum let me know they were aware and explain it.

Scott's right, theres no Honeymoon....there is a ongoing business relationship with a Company and the people there that I value and am happy to be involved in....Yeap there are and will continue to be issues at time...but nothing that I feel that can't always be given an honest answer to from those involved...

Now If this place here in NC will decide if they want their freight, I might be able to get unloaded and get another load today....

Oh one other thing to keep in mind, we have 4.5 new bodies in the expedite dispatch area....they are and will make mistakes, give them the time to learn their jobs and how things get done and to earn our trust....

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I had a load last week....when I got the money screen I darned near pooped my pants.... .73 a loaded mile?

Well ya know I was on the phone, quicker then a buck after a doe in November...LOL

Turned out just a simple math error..inverted numbers a newbee dispatcher trying to be quick and impress he boss..

at NO TIME did the thought ever occur to me that someone was trying to pull a fast one...I even went to get the load while trying to get a hold of said dispatcher to get it resolved...all knowing from past experience Load1 would make it right or have an explanation...

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
I had a load last week....when I got the money screen I darned near pooped my pants.... .73 a loaded mile?

Well ya know I was on the phone, quicker then a buck after a doe in November...LOL

Turned out just a simple math error..inverted numbers a newbee dispatcher trying to be quick and impress he boss..

at NO TIME did the thought ever occur to me that someone was trying to pull a fast one...I even went to get the load while trying to get a hold of said dispatcher to get it resolved...all knowing from past experience Load1 would make it right or have an explanation...

Again?! Pooped your pants that is! Lol Gotta change your diet! *l*

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
Just a personal opinion on this and this is not geared towards anyone specific. I feel that Load1 has a higher standard that they are held to. some people get their expectations set so high that when things do not go that way people easily find reasons to complain. I am guilty of this as most of us are. When things are "subpar" its the standard rates and loads that most of us experienced at our previos carriers. Even a well oiled machine breaks. Its so easy when things are bad to be negative. Instead we should be looking at the positives. We are with a carrier that cares.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
LOL, you have no idea how many times i have talked with OVM and we have said that when we look at a "slow week" here and complain to each other, that we then say in the same breath that we would have been happy as all get out with that kind of week at our previous carrier....When you have seen the good and then have a "off" week, the "expectations" are the problem, not "off" week...

Its the same in any business....no business ever hits a continous home run and never strikes out....but, if you take the time to look at the big picture, it all comes through in the end.....

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
On the "0 SKIDS 0 WEIGHT" issue, it's really and truly not dirty pool by the shipper or a typical NLMI manuever, as it happens with many 3PL loads other than NLM. The most common reason for it is the shipper knows they are shipping something out, usually parts they are currently building or are getting ready to build, usually on short notice, but they don't yet know exactly how many parts they're gonna have ready. All they know is they will be shipping as many parts as they can bang out by the scheduled pick-up time. They know the "standard" dims and weight for the various vehicles sizes, and when asked for pieces and weight, a typical answer might be, "I don't know yet, but it'll fit on a cargo van. Just send a cargo van." And there ya go, 0-pieces 0-pounds.

mss1963

Expert Expediter
On the "0 SKIDS 0 WEIGHT" issue, it's really and truly not dirty pool by the shipper or a typical NLMI manuever, as it happens with many 3PL loads other than NLM. The most common reason for it is the shipper knows they are shipping something out, usually parts they are currently building or are getting ready to build, usually on short notice, but they don't yet know exactly how many parts they're gonna have ready. All they know is they will be shipping as many parts as they can bang out by the scheduled pick-up time. They know the "standard" dims and weight for the various vehicles sizes, and when asked for pieces and weight, a typical answer might be, "I don't know yet, but it'll fit on a cargo van. Just send a cargo van." And there ya go, 0-pieces 0-pounds.

That is very common in this bussiness, with automotive never know what you will end up with..