Hiring!

duwayne86

Seasoned Expediter
How do u know for sure that if you go an buy a used or new sprinter van some company will hire u as a new owner? Does anybody know if, any company out there is actually accepting new company sprinter van drivers for sure that can save up to became a new owner for him or herself? What about a husband and wife team in a sprinter van company that's also hiring? Thanks Duwayne

duwayne86

Seasoned Expediter
I did that the other day one yes that one way of doing it, but not the smart way. Another company just go ahead and buy one but either one offer a job.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Right now most companies if not all are just not hiring right now due to the time of the year. I would wait 6-8 weeks before I would do anything because the work load is not there for additional vans.

duwayne86

Seasoned Expediter
That's a great thank u. It will take awhile since I don't have a van yet. But I did get noticed that Nation Express was going to add a few.

Scotimier

Rookie Expediter
Serious red flags here. My advice is to not finance a used or new sprinter. Used are cheap enough you should be able to buy one outright, going into debt to do an underpaid segment of expediting that is flooded with too many trucks just doesn't make sense to me, and is a recipe for disaster financially. A quick online search came up with about 50 used sprinters in the $7k to $17k range depending on age. Many with only 100k miles on them. Remember also, if you hate this job, or can't make ends meet, how easy will it be to sell when the market is flooded with used sprinters?

Don't forget you will need some money set aside just to get going and an emergency fund. This isn't a high profit business, so debt and credit card debt will sink you fast. There's a reason why all trucking companies are recruiting all the time! The average driver/owner typically doesn't make it. Do your research and ask lots of questions.

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A quick online search came up with about 50 used sprinters in the $7k to $17k range depending on age. Many with only 100k miles on them. Remember also, if you hate this job, or can't make ends meet, how easy will it be to sell when the market is flooded with used sprinters?

Buying an used Sprinter might be a pain in the wallet. I'd rather go for a used E-350 within 150k miles, replace the roof with a high top one and that vehicle, if you take good care of it, will last more than you expected.

duwayne86

Seasoned Expediter
If I don't make it I can turn it into a conversion van put a ramp in it to get my wheel chair in an out, use it as a personal vehicle, use it to deliver pizzes, a local personal delivery jobs.

duwayne86

Seasoned Expediter
Well that was one of the questions I was going to ask anyway.. How much can you expect to make in a average month after all bills paid?

Scotimier

Rookie Expediter
There is no average to quote you. There are too many variables such as do you live near popular freight lanes, number of unpaid deadhead miles, cost of vehicle, maintenance, fuel costs, food expenses. Etc... To make a living at this you will need to put in a lot of hours and a lot of miles. You may sit for days between loads depending on where your last load left you, especially while learning how expediting works. Can it be done? Yes, but it's not as easy as many think it will be.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Quickie off-the-top-of-the-head thought: Even if I win the lottery and can buy a new vehicle outright, I doubt that I would put a NEW anything into this business. Used is the way to go. You're gonna put between 80K to 100K miles a year on this van, and the resale for high-mileage vehicles is an abomination. So, your loss the first years-- no matter how you account for depreciation----- fergiddaboudit.

A used van--- whether American Slop Bucket or Sprinter/Sprinter type van-- will be cheaper to buy, a large amount of the depreciation has already happened so you won't lose so much, and you can use the difference in purchase price to set up the van the way you want it. Right off the top, you'll want decent insulation and heat in the winter if nothing else. E-track and fittings to secure loads. Decent electrical to carry your "house" load when you're standing by somewhere. It's not hard to find things to spend money on in this business.

Buying used also helps you to keep the payments-- if you MUST have them-- as small as possible. You're running on thin margins, so keeping your overhead as small as possible is the way to go here. Buy a new Sprinter-- the companies prefer we get the longest, tallest 2500 series that we can get--- and you will put a serious dent in your wallet, your payments could probably finance a small country, and you won't be getting as much sleep because you'll be worrying yourself sick over the difference between what you're making and what you need to keep going.

duwayne86

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks MJM for the information! So many things to think about! New, used, high roof, low roof, short long and the most important thing which company to go for.

duwayne86

Seasoned Expediter
Still looking for so information about how much you can earn per month after all bills or paid?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Honestly anywhere from 1200 a month to 3400 a month assuming no major repairs. The net income does vary that much and it's why no one can give a good answer.

Last edited:

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Still looking for so information about how much you can earn per month after all bills or paid?

You're not going to like this. The answer is---- it's wildly variable. You can lose your shirt if you have a bad month, with vehicle breakdowns and not enough miles because your van is in the garage more than it's on the road that month. You can follow that with a month where you seem almost to have a license to print money, with good paying runs and a van that runs faultlessly that month.

Anybody who says he can tell you what you can earn per month after all bills are paid is--- guessing.