HINO's

Wingnut

Seasoned Expediter
I have a question for all of you who have the new 2008 and newer HINO's with the DPR emission system: What do you do to run power for the sleeper? Do you have an APU? Do you have a portable generator? Do you idle? With these new systems on these trucks, too much idling will blow all the injectors plus other components & really mess up the truck. I was curious to see how some of you get around this.

moose

Veteran Expediter
Sorry , i c'ant help .
although i bought my Hino with a tri-pac ,that was one of my concerns when shopping for a truck.
i had the option of choosing .
so i picked up an 07 .
those systems cannot be good for the fuel millage ,nor for the engine if you buy new and planning of keeping the truck for 8 years or so.
why don't you have an APU ? , if i may ask ???

C

CaptainCarl

With these new systems on these trucks, too much idling will blow all the injectors plus other components & really mess up the truck.

The new systems on the Sterlings and Freightliners are blowing even if you don’t idle. You must have read the same article.
Capt Carl

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Well, it's never good to buy a truck or car for that matter, with new untested(on the road at least)technology. If you already own the truck, oh well. If your looking at trucks and your able, I'd wait for a couple years for them to work out all the bugs.
I know a couple makers, Volvo for example don't use the DPR system.

Wingnut

Seasoned Expediter
Sorry , i c'ant help .
although i bought my Hino with a tri-pac ,that was one of my concerns when shopping for a truck.
i had the option of choosing .
so i picked up an 07 .
those systems cannot be good for the fuel millage ,nor for the engine if you buy new and planning of keeping the truck for 8 years or so.
why don't you have an APU ? , if i may ask ???

I have a portable generator. I've found that APU's are too expensive for what use you get out of them and have too much maintenance. I only keep a truck for 3 yrs...... so for me, paying all that $$$$ for an APU is not worth it.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I have a portable generator. I've found that APU's are too expensive for what use you get out of them and have too much maintenance. I only keep a truck for 3 yrs...... so for me, paying all that $$$$ for an APU is not worth it.

I know while working at Brink's we received a new truck, an International with the new DPR system. It had alot of problems. Those trucks idle all day long at each stop and on the city routes, they rarely go over 40. It wasn't like you can turn the truck off and roll down the windows LOL. We needed to keep it running for AC or Heat. They ended up regenerating three or four times a day...Now tell me that is helping the environment