Hino vs. Freightliner

48ST8s

Seasoned Expediter
Hello all! We are thinking of purchasing a D unit a year from now and are doing some research. We would like to get some feedback regarding your thoughts and opinions on the new Hino trucks. We have driven a few Freightliners in our day so we are familiar with what they have to offer, but know nothing regarding the Hino as of yet. Any thoughts and/or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
48ST8s

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Not much to think about in my humble opinion.

Hino = Toyota = Quality = Trouble-Free Driving

"It's a Toyota...you can't kill em'"

Freightliner service centers are extremely high on their charges.

If you do go with Freightliner make sure to take out two loans. One for the truck payment and another for the servicing.

pellgrn

Expert Expediter
I would take the Hino if it was a 72 bunk 22 box,If you go with a big sleeper 84 and up along the a sink,shower,toliet,I would want at least 300 h.p cause of the xtra weight.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The Hino is a city truck that has been modified for expediting. The engine is weak and the gearing is too high. It does have the benefit of being a Toyota product with a strong warranty however I wouldn't consider one until they get it an OTR engine and highway gearing. Sterling, KW, Pete and Volvo would be my only "suspects".

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Leo we are hearing the same thing about the Hino's from talking to other drivers. One truck had dropped back to a C Unit with FedEx Custom Critical over the weight issue. Truck just could not pull the hills with a heavy load. Owner bought it for the great price with a big sleeper on it then added a reefer. Just to much for the truck.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I have to agree that they would only work in certain applications. A city truck or a very regional truck. 260 Horsepower isn't really enough for OTR use. A 5 speed automatic would be another big question. A six speed manual would seem like the only choice on one of these. But, they have a good warranty and are a cheaper truck to get into.
Pretty much get what you pay for.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
When I looked at them at the expo it seemed they were only about 10% less than a similarly sized Sterling, M2 etc. so the price advantage isn't what it was a year ago. The 260 hp is definitely on the weak side but I think what really kills it is there's only 585 lb of torque. When you could get one with an 84" sleeper for about $79k I considered it briefly but now a 96" sleeper unit is about $105k. With a 96" Sterling available for around $115k it's just not worth gambling to me.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
EO Forum Moderator
----------

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Yes to the 300hp.

Agree on the initial price differential being narrower.

The power to weight ratio wouldn't be an issue depending on how one operates the unit.

BUT, consider this most important factor...after purchase operating expenses.

We continue to see numerous posts on here about M2 glitches and weird problems. On the road, the CB chatter is filled with negative comments about Sterling drivetrains. It seems they have some transmission issues.

Overall, the best bang for the buck comes back to Toyota.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
Well when I think of the best class 8s I've ever operated I say Pete and KW are neck and neck. Then again they are both made by Paccar. Then I'd have to say western star and freightliner who are made by the same company. The KWs and Petes are a little more price. If I was going to buy a truck today I'd would most likely buy a freightliner columbia. It's economical and comfortable. Economacial in the sense that it get better fuel milage than most of the other class 8s. A long nose pete or kw can't get mpg a columbia does. I would buy the columbia weather it was for a t/t application or a d unit. Then again I would be running solo and not need an apartment behind me. Just my 2 cents worth. If you hold on a second I'll give you some change.:)

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sterling uses vendors like Eaton or Allison for their transmissions and other drive line components. I would be surprised to hear they are having some kind of on-going problems that other makers using these vendors are not. As far as "weird glitches", trucks will have problems. I don't care what make it is, class 7 or 8, you will have some problems somewhere along the way. It's the nature of the mechanical beast. Most of the time, when I go by any service facility they are working on trucks. KW, Pete, whatever. I think it's a bit premature, at this point, to assume that Hino's relationship with Toyota will assure an owner of some better level of dependability.

While picking up freight in Tucson recently, I was having a conversation with a Hino owner about our trucks. I asked him about his fuel mileage. Now, if I'm asked, my reply is 10 to 10.5. A simple answer to a simple question. His response was to first pause, then go off on some kind of story that never got to a number because he had to go put his truck in the dock. I was only left to assume that the number would not have been impressive.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
As it sits right now, comparing downtime, frequency of repairs, and repair costs, I would say there is a pretty good margin of difference in our case. KW, Sterling, and Freightliner in that order.
That is looking back over the last three years.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I consider the M2 a definite step behind the Sterling, KW etc. and wouldn't want any FL unless the new Cascadia is everything it's supposed to be. For a solo I believe it's possible to run a class 7 and that be a good choice. For a team a class 8 is the only way to go. I've heard Hino drivers claiming anything up to 13 mpg. I've heard several at 7.x mpg as well and based on the city gearing am inclined to believe those numbers more. Toyota quality and reputation not withstanding, a truck that has to run at 92% to do the speed limit at 70 (70 divided by 76mph top speed) is running too hard for me to believe it will last. Regearing it with highway gears erodes the already narrowed price differential. If I had a local application or perhaps a short regional one I'd be all over these. That is their design niche I believe. Cross country OTR expediting just isn't what they are for, at least not now. I've heard they will have a new engine rated something like 300/950 hp/tq. If highway gearing on a 6spd Allison is part of the package they will be hard to beat then I suspect, provided they can hold the price in line.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
EO Forum Moderator
----------

FAMILYEXPDT

Seasoned Expediter
We purchased a 07 hino and a 07 freightliner same time.....both 96" sleepers hino has a 16' foot box...still qualifies as d unit because of weight it can carry.....fl has a 24' box. Hino is outperforming the fl by a significant margin. The fl has been in to shop 3x with problems ranging from air dryer needing replacing at 45000 miles to compressor at 56000. Hino has performed flawlessly first 100k. Same trans in both trucks... FL is set up better ...for some reasin hino put the shifter in the middle between 2 seats instead of on dash....but all in all payments on hino are 500$ a month less and 1 year less than the fl for a better truck imho.

-charlotte

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm glad you're having good luck with your Hino. I'm not too surprised about the FL. I'd be more curious to see the same comparison with a Sterling or T300 as the second truck. The Hino wouldn't change but the overall results would probably be different.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
EO Forum Moderator
----------

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Just close inspection between the two would convince me. Side by side the Hino isn't anywhere close to a T300. If the prices are narrowing, the nod would go to a KW. A two or three year old KW is going to bring alot more money than a Hino would.
Sometimes you can look to the construction industry for questions on durability.
You will see plenty of KW's or Petes used as dump trucks, but it would be seldom that you would find a Hino or M2 in that application.
Probably should add that you will also see Sterling and some Volvos in that trade as well.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

48ST8s

Seasoned Expediter
Thank you all for your comments. They will help us a lot when it comes time to buy. We didn't realize the Hino was equipped with a smaller engine, which obviously helps explain the price difference. Thanks again!:D

Packy

Seasoned Expediter
I looked at the Hino trucks but decided on buying Sterling trucks instead. The Hino warranty was awesome, but when you put a large 96" sleeper and even a reefer unit on the truck, they don't have enough power to pull the hills. Down the road if Toyota puts together a over the road truck with a bigger engine and trasmission they will be a player in the expedite market.

FedEx Custom Critical
Fleet Owner & Operator
D Units

rollybil

Expert Expediter
Just a little advice. I would stay away from the Hino's. Going up hill's it barely could do 40 m.p.h. The best I could register on fuel was 7.5 miles/ gallon. The truck was a 2006, D-unit, and it spent at least 1 month in the shop for repair's out of the 10 month's that I owned it. I fell for the trick of a little cheaper truck and easier financing, but in the end I got burnt. You get what you pay for and a Hino truck is not built for expediting.

Brunno

Rookie Expediter
Hi, now its end of 2014. Can you tell me which one is better? FL or Hino?. We do operate within 200 miles of Chicago Il. No hills, no loads over 10000 lps payload. Need to make a decision. Its a big investment for us.Thank you and drive safe....:))

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Hi, now its end of 2014. Can you tell me which one is better? FL or Hino?. We do operate within 200 miles of Chicago Il. No hills, no loads over 10000 lps payload. Need to make a decision. Its a big investment for us.Thank you and drive safe....:))

Whats with the name?