Hino Vs Freightliner

Kevin_Sue

Seasoned Expediter
Looking at 2 trucks. One a used Hino with a 78" (Was told 78 might be 84) ITC sleeper 2007 with 62k miles and an apu, Also a shower.
The other is a freightliner with an 84" bentz No shower but nicely appointed 250hp mercedes benz diesel Auto trans, APU. Freightliner is new from FYDA. The used Hino will be $10,000.00 less. Considering longevity dealer network and all factors that go into the work cycle of the truck what makes more sense?

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Well I would pick the Kenworth. Oh wait that was not one of the choices, hands down the ICT sleeper on the Freightliner. Wait wrong again, take the Freightliner. More service locations, along with a longer track record.

Kevin_Sue

Seasoned Expediter
I do agree with the kenworth and ITC sleeper, or a pete 335 and ITC sleeper. I am afraid for now they will be to far out of budget. Also I do not know how much front seat room I would have in a kw. On day cab kw300 I would have to amputant my legs at my knees and remove the steering wheel and replace it with a joystick to make room for my belly. Next truck though I want a kw 660 "DR" unit. But for nowI must leave the white glove world to the pros until I understand this industry better.

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
I have a hino 338 with 96" AA sleeper and an automatic transmission.

Get about 8 MPG's, we have 86k on the truck and have not had any mechanical issues at all.

Hino has a 3 year unlimited mile warranty, with towing and roadside
assistance. There are plenty of places to get service, I would suggest you keep a couple of fuel filters and oil filters on the truck and a spare serpentine belt.

I would avoid Rush Truck Centers for service, I have been very pleased with the service given at MHC Kenworth/Hino in Nash and Memphis, also
Nalley Truck Center in Atlanta GA.

I did have one issue which turned out to be nothing I, the truck started to rattle like a banshee, Anyway I went to Nalley in Atlanta in a panic, It turned out to be a loose bracket that needed some loctight on the threads, it was fixed no charge.

I purchased my truck new from Churneys, and have been very happy with the truck.

Also READ YOUR OWNERS MANAUL!!!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Freightliner.

Why?

Servicablity

I don't see the number of Hino dealers on the road as I see Freightliner dealers.

Kenworth will work on FL trucks

If it has a Cat, Cat dealers will.

If it has a Cummins, Cummins dealers will.

I think, not sure but Hino uses their own engine, so service will be harder to come by.

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
Buy the truck that gets the better fuel mileage. Ask to see the fuel tax reports, they show how many gallons per mile the truck actually runs.

I like my Hino, but it I could swap it for a truck that was reasonably reliable but got 10 MPG's I would.

unorthodoxneon

Expert Expediter
I dont know if it just me. I know i havent seen too many sleepers. But having a shower in an 84" (if thats what it is) is kinda small and cramped. Now i could be wrong as i havent seen it in person. But if you seen it then i'm sure its not an issue with you.

Kevin_Sue

Seasoned Expediter
Hi
Thanks for the info.
I drove the truck yesterday and checked it out. It was a 96" ICT sleeper. 07 70k miles but was dirty had a bad tire severe vibration and the dinette table was broken and the microwave door would not stay shut. A very rough truck for a 07 I decided to pass on it. It did not appear to be cared for very well. Who knows what was or was not done for maintance.