Hino trucks..Panther said to get a Freightliner instead

mojoblues

Seasoned Expediter
I was talking to Panther about driving for them. They told me Hino trucks had a lot of problems. Especially Electrical
I actually like the ones I looked at but since I usually drive a T/T I dont know much about Hino
any ideas?...are they right?

dancorn

Veteran Expediter
I spent four weeks in a Hino this spring. Two on the road then two at the dealer in Sharonville, Ohio. I think Hino is a Japanese word for Haunted.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I know they get a bad rap, but mine has been okay. I have had plenty of problems with the Freighliner M2's at the last company I was with
Hino's are pretty weak up hills, that is my one complaint

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
I would have to say that based on my experience you got some great advice. Don't forget about Kenworth.

Wingnut

Seasoned Expediter
I own 10 HINOs and am adding 5 more to my fleet. The only problem I have with them is that they are hard starting when the temp drops to 20 or lower. I also have one of my 08's that has had alot of problems with the DPR system. The rest have been great and have had little or no problems.

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
Well i know at one time the ele logs wouldn't work with the Hinos and thats why Panther doesn't like them

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
They also (Panther) says they can't have a speed limiter put on to go to Canada. Not sure why other than that was in a fleet message.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
They also (Panther) says they can't have a speed limiter put on to go to Canada. Not sure why other than that was in a fleet message.

Funny, because my Hino has a speed limiter
it was at 65 but got it turned up to 70
If diesel keeps rising I'll be driving 55:eek:

Kazper1008

Seasoned Expediter
I had a Hino 338 for two and half years I loved the truck but for some reason after a few months with it I started having problems with the batteries going dead you could drive 600 miles stop for fuel cut the truck off for 20 min and it would be dead put it in the shop many times and no one could ever find a problem put new batteries in it 3 times all went dead had to run the truck constantly finally got fed up and got rid of it but I will say it handled well and other than that problem it was a great truck I should of had a apu but that wasnt the problem it just would have helped