Hino Service Issues With Hino Reps

garman351

Expert Expediter
Hi everybody:
One bad fuel injector in July and we were down several days before the corporate service Rep authorized the repair and ordered the part. (One Injector) Five more to go to deal with?

August 1st:
Truck was runinng rough and blowing heavy black smoke? corporate Hino Rep has to arrive on the sceen and his best guess? a check valve in the fuel pump was needed over nighted the part. Four days later on August 5th we were told to pick-up the truck because it was (repaired) I drove 150 miles and 2 1/2 hours to drop off my team. Later in the evening I received a call the truck was blowing out heavy black smoke still and not running right still.

Back to the dealer again today 6th same crap the Hino service Rep had to be contacted before they could do anything? Plus if it needs a fuel pump they want to burn me $200 to have the part over nighted or a few more days will go by before I can pick-up our truck. All these problems with a truck still under warranty?

Lets see I lost four days the first time now it will be going on several more days before I can pick-up our so-called repaired truck again. Toyota will be looking for it's monthly lease payment at the end of the month. My letter to the Dealership and Corporate very clearly states you can shove-it! I'm fed-up with the whole trucking thing. Drivers & owners clearly are barley making it let alone the truck sitting at the shop all the time by incompitant Hino service Reps who only guess what the problems may be. Ever hear of computer diagonistics and a road test before the customer actually picks-up the vehicle so you actually know if the problem is resolved.

I quit lets go fishing, it's better than trucking if nothing happens at least I'm happy.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Garman, is the honeymoon over with the Hino? Whatever happened to the "how good the truck is" responses. Coupl'a weeks outa lots of years, ain't bad.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
the pain of breaking in a new truck....sorry to see your having a problem... but your not alone out there...

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
What kills me is, they get "burned" by the very thing that they make a living from. I'm wondering where the mental processes come from with some of these posts. Amazing, ain't it?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
What kills me is, they get "burned" by the very thing that they make a living from. I'm wondering where the mental processes come from with some of these posts. Amazing, ain't it?

They never have made a trouble free truck...problems "should " be expected. No matter how much or who made it...and IF there aren't any ...just count your lucky stars....

theres a saying...Always expect the worst and pray for the best...something like that.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
OVM, weren't typing about the truck. Wuz Typing about getting "burnt" by the overnite "expedite". Hmmm, maybe they been get'in paid too much for their efforts. Magine what THEIR customers must think??

jwc

Seasoned Expediter
seems to me that us americans want top dollar for our work and pay bottom dollar/but isn't that what has gotten us in trouble with over inporting etc

garman351

Expert Expediter
Garman, is the honeymoon over with the Hino? Whatever happened to the "how good the truck is" responses. Coupl'a weeks outa lots of years, ain't bad.

X06col:
You seem to be missing the point, asking me if my honeymoon is over defending Hino trucks etc. I will also address trucks having problems as they get older, "of course they do." We have had nothing but good service out of our Hino truck since we brought it home back in Nov of 2006. With 170K miles on it to this date.

The problem is these so-called Hino Reps who must authorize any repaires before the dealership can actually do something about it. The Dealership service dept (DID) drop the ball by not road testing the truck before it was given a clean bill of health, they also (DID) not put the truck on a computer other wise they would of seen on the machine the problem was not resolved.

I fully understand the truck being down for a couple of days once I drop it off, but I do expect it to be repaired when I pick-it up.

Also X06col. What do you mean by the "mental process," (YOU) seem to be taking a personal interest in bashing me and my post? with several of your statements why is that?

We haul freight like everybody else with a 100% pick-up and early deliverys so you all can shove your personal attacks about how we deal with our Customers and my post.

Hino trucks are made in Florida by American workers, transmissions are allisons, along with most of the parts on this truck are actually American made except the motor. This is for the guy who made the comment about dealing with imports?

Lets talk Freightliner at 11% interest rate to finance their truck with (GOOD) credit and costing you around $5,500 for all their warrantys compared to Hino at 6% and three years all parts & labor free with unlimited free towing if you have a problem. We have never used the towing yet. Bring it on guy's Hino's are low on power bla bla bla. Most of our loads are around 6,000 pounds and we get around 10.0 MPg with our six speed. No speed demon, who cares. I would rather have the MPG than bragging rights who is to the top of the hill first.

Garman

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Garmin;

I think you would agree that the issue is that dealers, or repair facilities of any type, just plain do not care anymore. It is much more profitable for them to "guess" at what the problem is, then throw your money at that problem, and hope the problem is fixed. This applies to your truck, your car, your motorcycle, etc...

The worst part is with the truck, if it is "repaired" on the road, they know you will play heck getting back to them to have the "repair" corrected.

I wish you luck in having your truck problem solved. Hang in there.

HotFr8Recruiter

barney

Expert Expediter
I have seen a lot of negative posts about Hino service or lack there of. Just wondering what their reasoning is and how many sales have been lost because of the problem. I know I will never buy one but then again I won't be buying any truck as all I drive now is a desk. The pay is better and the mileage is pretty good too. Seriously though, Why would a company produce a product and not stand behind it?

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
From my experience with Toyota Motor Corporation they have been more than willing to resolve any, and all, customer concerns.

A quick search regarding the posts about Hino Trucks, as compared to a search of competitor's trucks, makes this service issue seem pale by comparison; both in number and depth.

In the course of selling thousands of Toyota vehicles I can only recall one instance when TMC refused to facilitate a repair to a vehicle still within the warranty parameters. It was within approximately 1,000 miles from the warranty mileage limitation.

Apparently, the sales rep made the statement, "Just lease this new truck from us, bring it back in three years and drive off with another new truck...you won't have to do anything else." Uh, I know the Sales Rep was indicating that the lease customer would not incur any major repairs because the truck would be under warranty during the lease period (based upon her previous odometer readings from past vehicles).

The customer took it literally. At 35,000 she brought it into the Service Department complaining that the engine was running rough. Yep, you guessed it. No oil changes for 35,000 miles, no tire rotations, no lubrication, etc.

I had to sort through all of the conversations that had transpired between the Sales Rep, the customer and the Service Department. It was a mess. I documented everything and presented it to Toyota. Personally, I agreed with their decision as the customer did not perform "Basic" maintenance as clearly spelled out in the Owner's Manual.

As with every issue, and I have had some with GM over the years, it is imperative to document everything; not only the dealer's written and verbal responses, but mine too! I always have another person present to verify what is being said. In fact, I was at a dealership in South Carolina, explained my situation to a customer in the lounge and asked if they would come with me to the service manager's office and verify the conversation should it become necessary provide a witness of the conversation at a later point in time. You should have seen how quickly that service manager's demeanor changed when two of us walked into his office.

Document, document, document.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Here is what reading everyones post underlying problem most likely is. "Most Likely" See Col. has a very NICE Retirement income so running a business to him is a side kick. A broken down truck to him out on the road could mean finding the closest park with a tree to lie undernieth and watch all girls walk by.

Most not all others are not exactly sitting on a ton of $ otherwise they would be able to pay cash and deal with repairs with a different attitude sure its costing $ but they are not about to go out of business or worry about which bill to pay next A B or C. This is a warning to anyone considering getting into this without enough capitol, and trying to get by on hope and promise instead of saving before enteriing this or any industry. Many will loan you a truck with little or 0 down, a sure way to find yourself loosing everything including ones credit.

I feel for the posters concern, he did do something though that many expierenced people on here would not (D.Casey) for instance myself and that is buy a newly designed introduced truck to the market place. Some other brands may cost $80.00 more a month but come with a track record and the interior design also goes hand and hand. (even though I drive a Volvo) it has a long reputation of fuel economy, comfortable ride, and well enginered. In having owned a T-3 by KW I went thru the same problems of fuel injectors. They were replaced at different times. Unlike another Poster on here who stated he only buys what the MFG builds cause of ease of repairs, I ask this I can choose from Cummins shop or any Dealer who services them. So from a business stand point (commonsense as well) who has a better selection of repair facilities? Hmmm.

One does not always stand protected by one MFG of both Chasis and Engine. Poster read between the lines of peoples comments. They mean well, but are not real business owners as one could read post of their comments. Instead of offering advice on how to cure your problems this is to show you how smart they think they are instead of offering the advice or solutions. We all know it takes greatness to become rank above a Sargent.

If one is gona stay in this business, my suggestion would be find a different MFG of truck and get out from under what is causing all of this stress and loss of income. 170,000 miles its still new, one more thing, I thought these trucks came with a million mile Warranty for 10 years? So whats the problem with someone from corporate looking at as if they should? A warranty is a warranty is it not?

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Ohh Broomie, if that is sposed to be derogitory, better try again. With more grey matter process. I'd suggest sitt'in under a tree watch'in the girlz go by is the national past time. If not, betcha it's a close second. Potential breakdowns are in fact one of the alligators we wrestle with in this business. Problem is, when folks rely on warrantys, they feel there is no need for, or, can't get systimatic parts replacement to avoid breakdown issues. They just wait till it breaks, then bemoan their predicament. It's just about choices. My "business model" chose not to play that game. With just anuther potential block in the gears, with someone else pulling the strings breeds the opportunity for more downtime. I always preferred to plan my downtime, so I could enjoy watch'in da girlz.

garman351

Expert Expediter
Ohh Broomie, if that is sposed to be derogitory, better try again. With more grey matter process. I'd suggest sitt'in under a tree watch'in the girlz go by is the national past time. If not, betcha it's a close second. Potential breakdowns are in fact one of the alligators we wrestle with in this business. Problem is, when folks rely on warrantys, they feel there is no need for, or, can't get systimatic parts replacement to avoid breakdown issues. They just wait till it breaks, then bemoan their predicament. It's just about choices. My "business model" chose not to play that game. With just anuther potential block in the gears, with someone else pulling the strings breeds the opportunity for more downtime. I always preferred to plan my downtime, so I could enjoy watch'in da girlz.

X06col:
(WOW) Folk's rely on warrantys. Thats right! Weather it comes with the vechile or we pay several thousands of dollars for the protection we are intitled to have (reasonable service) and to be treated fairly. It's just like paying big money for health insurance for your protection only to get caught-up in all the paper work & required quafifications for each incident it's all nothing but big Corporate mumbo jumbo, you know all the little things they do not tell you about until you finally attempt to use their so-called insurance the first time.

X06col. Here you go again? People wait until the truck is broke down before they do something? We have to follow a strick service intervals for oil changes etc other wise if we have a problem if it is not documented that we have been taking care of the truck the company we have a contract with will not honor our agreement, plain & simple.

Broompilot: Running a business with out not enough capitol to keep it going? you are programmed to fail? I don't know about the rest of you? My little company has been struggling going on four years now and with the bad economy going out of control with everything, it's no wonder with reduced lack of freight and most freight companys putting on as many teams as they can to cover the high drop out rate it's a wonder most of us are still around.

Break downs are a fact of life, thats right Broompilot. My truck has been at the dealer since last Monday, than released than brought back on Tuesday morning because it was not repaired properly. Oh it needed a check valve, day later, no it must be the fuel pump, another day later. (OH) no O rings for fuel pump another day. We were supposed to pick-up our truck on Friday, (OH) we had an after market air filter installed at our last oil change that is why the truck is sucking oil into the air cleaner causing the truck to smoke more etc. Now the Hino dealer has to talk to the Hino Rep on Monday to see what their next move is?

Wait until they hear on Monday morning our last oil change was at a Hino dealer just three days before we dropped off the truck. It's not our fault if they installed a wrong or after market air filter. Broompilot I don't know about you? But if my truck is out of service all the time it's hard to make the truck payments. Again I was down for a week in July, "last month waiting for ONE fuel injector." Going on four years I have never had any late payments on my truck lease payments or business credit card, so I guess I must be doing something right.

I had a Senior Hino regional finance manager call me late on Friday, actually concirned about my service issues, and another Hino regional service manager they both have left me messages to talk to them on Monday morning. I'm fed-up with the whole thing! It's bad enough just being in this business, let alone trying to be part of it.

Come-On blast me some more I have big shoulders.

Garman351

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Garmin, I came on here offering you advice and you take it as blasting. Now someone elses advice I read as blastiing. But Garmin you dissagreed with others comments on how they felt about Hinos and the risk you were exposing yourself more than a year ago?

My suggestion is as I already said it, get out from under this lemon before it kills you. As to others getting into this you better have a savings to get you thru these spots. I have been at the repair center and seen the guy turn into Casper when he realized his Credit Cards were maxed and they just told him it would be three thousand dollars.

I wish you well, and I wish you would have not bought that Hino, to little to late now that comment is a blast I will accept.

garman351

Expert Expediter
Garmin, I came on here offering you advice and you take it as blasting. Now someone elses advice I read as blastiing. But Garmin you dissagreed with others comments on how they felt about Hinos and the risk you were exposing yourself more than a year ago?

My suggestion is as I already said it, get out from under this lemon before it kills you. As to others getting into this you better have a savings to get you thru these spots. I have been at the repair center and seen the guy turn into Casper when he realized his Credit Cards were maxed and they just told him it would be three thousand dollars.

I wish you well, and I wish you would have not bought that Hino, to little to late now that comment is a blast I will accept.

I'm sorry Broompilot Ive been beaten to death with the freight business, service issues with the truck it's non-stop. If you read some of the replys back to me they sure sounded like some personal attacks, like I have a warranty so we run the equipment in the ground because it's covered, to your point about managing money as I have mentioned In close to four years in this business I have never missed a payment or been late on anything, but I understand the point you were making. To the guy talking about buying foreign made equipment etc.

For the record we like our Hino truck, it's the dam Hino service Reps who have to authorize anything and everything before a service work is done. It's the best guess mentality from the service I'm fed-up with. It's funny I was down for a week for one fuel injector in July now they decided to replace them all? The Dealership has worked to resolve my on going problem with my truck down ten days (Wow) All over a fuel pump, reordered O rings and now all new fuel injectors. Our Hino Truck is not now or in the past a bad investment nor do I have any Ill feelings for the truck honestly. Would I buy one again? I don't really know I have not heard of any new model of truck being any better.

Garman