Hino resale values

king cobra

Seasoned Expediter
I see some folks buying the Hino Truck,Iam wondering what kind of shape they will be in these trucks in 5yr's when the truck has 500k on it and they have a 25% residual payment due ? Zero down and now payment for 60 day's is great but your going to pay sooner or later.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I would suspect something pretty low. Even the ones in trucktrader with much less milage aren't fetching a whole lot.
Pretty much, you get what you pay for.
But to be fair, you are paying less on the front end.
I will say that the Hino does show promise with some tweaking for a highway application.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
I will say that the Hino does show promise with some tweaking for a highway application.

Dave is now the king of the understatement.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Jim,
I was looking with my rose colored glasses.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

rollybil

Expert Expediter
I own a 2006 Hino and it has about 50,000 miles on it and it's a piece of junk now, so I am sure that it will not make it to 5 years old, unless of course it just keeps sitting because I can not keep driver's because of the big 7 miles/ gallon of fuel that it get's. It has become a lawn ornament.

darkunicorn

Seasoned Expediter
I own a 2006 with 75k on it and its doing great only thing I see as a problem is the bunk and box holding up the quality on the Hino is top notch. And if you do some research when these things was cab-over around town trucks the norm was 1 million plus, so what do you think the over the road is going to be and hey it’s the Lexis division of Toyota and Roger Penske that build the thing so what do you really think? This year they plan to jump in to the 18-wheeler with integrated sleeper etc so if your thinking Hino is here to day gone tomorrow think again they are building 3 new plants 2 in USA and one in Canada. The popularity is gone way beyond their expectations back to the Lexis thing look at their resale! For every unhappy Hino owner there is 49 happy ones so 1 in 50 unhappy customer is acceptable in any brand and that 1 in 50 probably wouldn’t be happy in any thing you put them in even if you gave it to them with all the bells and whistles and free no cost!

Alvin

Deville

Not a Member
>I own a 2006 with 75k on it and its doing great only thing I
>see as a problem is the bunk and box holding up the quality
>on the Hino is top notch. And if you do some research when
>these things was cab-over around town trucks the norm was 1
>million plus, so what do you think the over the road is
>going to be and hey it’s the Lexis division of Toyota and
>Roger Penske that build the thing so what do you really
>think? This year they plan to jump in to the 18-wheeler
>with integrated sleeper etc so if your thinking Hino is here
>to day gone tomorrow think again they are building 3 new
>plants 2 in USA and one in Canada. The popularity is gone
>way beyond their expectations back to the Lexis thing look
>at their resale! For every unhappy Hino owner there is 49
>happy ones so 1 in 50 unhappy customer is acceptable in any
>brand and that 1 in 50 probably wouldn’t be happy in any
>thing you put them in even if you gave it to them with all
>the bells and whistles and free no cost!
>
>Alvin

THE correct spelling is L E X U S
:7

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Yea that spells lexus but I wish Penske would go over to Telegraph and 94 and take that d*mn bridge arch out of Michigan.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
An observation I had the opportunity to make on I84 in CT. Cruising along at 62-63 when a Hino slowly passed me. I stayed right in behind it.

It was a Straight Truck with a 22 box probably 96 inches high on Box, no sleeper.

My observation was this. As we approached each curve the trucks front tires easily turned into each curve. But the rears did not follow and this was the same weather L or R the rears would all of a sudden POP in behind the drives at each curve at this speed.

Its as if the frame was somehow bending or flexing. For a brief second in each curve the rears were not following at all, and than pop they would push back in behind. This was not the same as when you see some of those old rusty cars up North (Ford F-100s and 150s) were typical of a rusted out frame and than would go down the road sideways, this was not doing that, but the rears just would not stay in place behind the steers into curves.

Curoius, what would make a new truck do this? I have never observed this on such a newer truck before.

rollybil

Expert Expediter
It seems that Darkunicorn becomes very upset when I speak negatively about the Hino truck. When I purchased the truck in May 2006, I thought I was getting a good deal and a good truck. I am just speaking facts about what has happen to me personally with this truck. The truck has been on the road for 9 months and there is only 50,000 miles on it. It has sat in the truck shop for at least a month of that time with battery, transmission, air conditioning, and electrical problem's. When it has managed to move the driver's quit within a few weeks time and the same complaint from all of them is the truck goes up hills under 50 mph and they are only getting 7 mpg. As far as me complaining about me being in any truck that is not true. I have driven trucks locally for 14 years and have driven Kenworth, Freightliner, Peterbuilt etc. and they were all great trucks.

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
I have 58k on my 07 Hino 338, Have had no unexpected problems at all. Knock on wood. 5 speed Allison Auto with 529 rears, I get about 8.5 mpgs. Don't get passed on hills. It has been a little frustrating finding a dealership that has experience with the truck. Nalley in Atlanta seems to be the most knowledgeable, their mechanics had nothingbut good things to say about the truck. I was there for routine fluid changes by the way.

Speedco doesn't carry filters, so you have to go to the dealer for maintenance.

darkunicorn

Seasoned Expediter
Sorry didn’t mean to imply you never drove a truck just that it seams from what you have said that you have not drove the Hino your self all your input has been from your drivers and not personal experience?

Alvin

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
Have 67k on my Hino now. I just found out that the make an exhaust brake for the truck and I'm having it installed next monday.

The only complaint I've had with my Hino, is that the dealership mechanics don't know anything, If I was toyota I'd be ##### about the level of training with dealership mechanics.

For 90 bucks an hour I shouldn't have to explain that the tranny takes
8 gallons of fluid not 4. Of course there have been other challenges similiar to that. Anyway our truck is fine, I just got a fuel statement that shows 9.8 mpgs for a month, my mpgs have been slowly creeping up,
but they are mostly around 8.5

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
I assume since the Hino is a Toyota that these trucks are also used in Japan. I wonder if, like the autos and pickups, the larger trucks have to replace there engines after so many miles as i have heard has to be done for environmental laws? Will you be able to find 'Japanese Take Outs' for the Hinos in a couple years that have plenty of miles left? I purchased an engine for my '91 Mazda B2600 that was guaranteed to have less then 40k mi's for $1200. The motor was in excellent shape and looked to have way less then 40k. Just a thought, maybe the Hino will end up being the cheapest to operate come overhaul time. I ran a quick search on eBay and found some Nissans and Isuzus that look like Med duty take outs. I'll run the question by the seller and see if he can expect any Hinos anytime soon and will get back with the answer. May take a while to run up the miles over there judging by the size of Japan x( .

"Take your time... Don't live too fast,
Troubles will come and they will pass.
And don't forget son,
There is someone up above."
Simple Man
Lynyrd Skynyrd

Prarysun

Seasoned Expediter
Broom, just an observation, that Hino who's rear-end wasnt following the front, I am buying a Hino, however with a sleeper and it had to go back to the frame shop and have the frames "sleeved" for more stability and the extra weight of the sleeper/box. I am wondering if most are sleeved in such applications? Our rear axle was also moved way back (136" I think) to accomodate the extra length/weight. Perhaps this truck you saw was not retrofitted properly? Just a thought. Anyone else running a Hino with a sleeper had sleeves added to their frames? Just curious to know, thanks.

Dianne

greg334

Veteran Expediter
The engines don't always get replaced but the entire vehicle is scrapped.

I was talking to someone yesterday about buying a japanese Suzuki pickup truck and he mentioned that the reason he gets them so cheap is the taxes on older commercial vehicles.

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
Here's one answer so far, looks like the commercial trucks in Japan are going electric instead of diesel? if he's talkin about the power source??....might work on an 80 mile run, ha.

Hello,

Thank you for visiting my auction.

I have 1990 Hino H06 TC diesel motor =/- 200hp $2450. With an Allison 643 trans $2950. No new Hino motors yet. Notice they are all electric on the new ones and still on warranty.

Best Regards,

"Mama told me when I was young
Take your time... Don't live too fast,
Troubles will come and they will pass.
And don't forget son,
There is someone up above."
Simple Man
Lynyrd Skynyrd