Hino Problems

Darrick

Seasoned Expediter
Has anyone had overheating issues on their Toyota Hino 338. I have had a lot of problems. It seems the front air intake is not large enough to cool the engine properly. Secondly, It gets bugs built up on it every 3 months and has to be pressure washed. Also, the engine oil blow out sprays onto the transmission.

It takes 2-3 days, and sometime weeks to get parts from Canada and Korea.

I bought the truck brand new and it has been in the shop over 30 times.

I was just wondering if other people are having mechanicial issues with their Hino.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Has anyone had overheating issues on their Toyota Hino 338. I have had a lot of problems. It seems the front air intake is not large enough to cool the engine properly. Secondly, It gets bugs built up on it every 3 months and has to be pressure washed. Also, the engine oil blow out sprays onto the transmission.

It takes 2-3 days, and sometime weeks to get parts from Canada and Korea.

I bought the truck brand new and it has been in the shop over 30 times.

I was just wondering if other people are having mechanicial issues with their Hino.

Be careful with that pressure washing. Yu can do a lot of damage to the fins. A tech said only use a garden hose. A NAPA guy said to use oven cleaner for the bugs. Be careful to not get it on any painted surface.

moose

Veteran Expediter
Darric ,this truck need to be driven @ 1,700 Rpm or less , - it will solve most of your shop visits .
if needed - it will be way cheaper to simply change the rear ends ratio.
the Cleveland dealer can help .
also ,take the winter to fabricate a bug screen .
what year is the truck ,and what transmission ?

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter

If your talking about the front grill not being big enought,Im willing to bet the manufacture has the proper opening in it or a bunch of ppl would have picked up on this by now..I would look elsewhere for overheating first.
On the blow-by,,if ya cant stop the blow-by attach a long rubber hose to the tube, it will proplely end up on your back doors but should miss the transmission.

Darrick

Seasoned Expediter
If you look at the 2009 Hino compared to the 2010 or 2011. The 2011; Toyota really opened up the front end grill and added a lot more space and room for air to blow over the exchangers and engine. I think it must have been something that need to be changed from an engineering stand point.

In the 2008 and earlier any slight blocking of air will cause the temp to start rising fast. Including hazmat sign, bugs, or road trash.