Hino Owners

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
Just curious to hear from Hino owners about there experiences with thier trucks. I am considering getting one as a starter truck. FECC told me that they have a few Hino's in thier fleet and that thier OO's
are pretty happy with them. The various non-hino dealers I've talked to about putting together a truck have given me mixed comments, which is to be expected, but thier competition had nothing really bad to say. I've heard worse about the class 7 FL.

Just curious,

Thanks,

John

Deville

Not a Member
Fedx is deader than dead right now, has been for about almost a month
Becarefull..they will tell u almost anything to get you to sign on. they have 1200 trucks and are barely cracking 600 loads a day, what does that tell you? It tells me that half the fleet maynot be running

gratefultruckin

Seasoned Expediter
When I decided to purchase the Hino I was told the fuel economy would be 11-12 mpg(a nationwide publication with an article about a dealer stated up to 11.5 mpg). After driving two of the condo style Hino's the actual mileage(not economy) is approx. 7-8 mpg, far off from what I was sold on. Reliabilty is great but when running these trucks as a team who really cares about reliabilty due to the extra fuel expense(we are looking @ approx. 10k/yr more in fuel expenses). That equates to $40k over 4 years when running these trucks as a team. I'll continue to purchases my "old reliable" freightliners as i know i will not spend 40k over 4 years per unit in repairs and i know i can take that money to the bank. Please do not get me wrong in terms of the Hino, it can be a great truck, just be cautious in how you spec. it out! I believe the condo style is probably the downfall to the better fuel economy as I know a small fleet owner who just added a Hino 338 with a step through sleeper and on his first fill up got between 9-10 mpg. He was also told that the fuel ecomony was not that great but he would spend much less on maint. If you are interested in purchasing a Hino there is a dealer in Findlay,OH and the Detroit area who can probably spec. out the right truck for you. The dealer who sold me the Hino just did not do the research needed before offering this new truck to the expedite market. I could go on and on about the other issues that arouse out of my purchase but i will arise to the situation and not go to that level. What I will conclude on is that Hino can be a great truck for expediting depending on how you spec. it out and a few of us were the "guinea pigs" for the rest of you who decide to purchase a Hino.
Take Care & Keep Truckin' On-Uncle John
"together for a lesson life just keep truckin' on"-truckin'
"well,the first days are the hardest days, don't you worry anymore cause when life looks like easy street there is danger at your door"-uncle john's band
"may the four winds blow you safely home"-franklin's tower
"sometimes we walk alone, sometimes the songs that we hear are just songs of our own"-eyes of the world

bigguy1001

Expert Expediter
I have to ask, is anyone getting 12 mpg in a 33.000 GVW truck? I think the average is closer to 9 - 10. There was one of the Conway Hinos in here yesterday and the driver says he is getting 8.5 avg for all miles. He stated he got 9.1 on the trip from South Carolina to Ohio that brought him here. He had 1000 lbs on. These are his numbers, not mine. And he stated that he loved his truck. He was a breath of fresh air. Oh yeah, it was an Alumibunk condo. Expectations are the damndest thing. Even if the real numbers are comparable to other non-Hino trucks, if you were expecting more you won't be satisfied. Your driver stated in a post that he was getting 8.5 in that Freightliner. Uncle John, I truely wish your buying experience had been a better one for you. Good Luck in your future endevours.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
When I was in Seville a couple weeks ago there were two Hino operators there. One told me he gets about 7-7.5mpg after being told to expect 10 or better. The other was getting about 8-8.5mpg. The bigger issues to me are that it tops out at 74mph at max allowable rpm so you are running the engine to death in 70mph states. The other issue is only 260hp and 585 pounds of torque so you are running near capacity with no reserves left for hills/mountains. Maybe my expectations are too high but I just can not call a 585 pound torque truck an adequate 33k 48 state truck. Yes, it will do the job, struggling severely at times. It also will wear itself out prematurely, Toyota name and backing or not. Now, if you can get it with the 84" condo for about $70k it might be worth looking into since you've covered your losses in lower price but I doubt that's likely.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 4958, 5447
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
We've driven only class 8 trucks in our 2.5 years on the road; a few Freightliner Century Class trucks and now a Western Star; all D-units, all with auto shift or full automatic transmissions, various engines and axle ratios. Our fuel economy numbers range from 6.9 MPG to 9.5 MPG, depending on the truck.

MPG-wise, the best truck was a Freightliner Century Class equipped with a Detroit 500 HP engine and two drive axles (tandems, not a lift axle). That truck moved too and rode smoother than any other truck we've driven, except one other that also was tandem-equipped.

Having read what others have said about the difference in ride between class 7 and class 8 trucks, I'm partial to class 8. The Hino is new to the expediting world. If I were in your shoes, I'd be inclined to buy another truck this time around and keep a close eye on Hino's over the next few years, and consider them as a purchase option after they've proven or disproven themselves over 500,000 miles.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Try checking with one of the EO family of sponsors at www.churneys.com. They specialize in Hino's for expediters. One of their sales staff members is an experienced expediter who knows what the drivers need. Ask to talk with Geoff.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
They have potential with alittle more horsepower, and a 6 speed auto, rather than the five.
That would address the torque, fuel milage, and longevity concerns.
Other than that, at their price point, they are very competitive.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Dave price competitive? I meet a FECC with one three weeks ago. He paid only 4K less than I did and he only had one 51 gallon fuel tank.

What I got that he did not.
Duel 120 gallon Alum tanks
Auto Landing gear
Locking Diff Rear end
Duel Air Ride Seats
Sink
Hot Water
Alum Rims
Side Tool Box
Goucho Bed
Fantastic Fan
Alum front bumper
Heavier Duty Suspension Meritor

When he told me what he paid and asked if the Pro-Heat came with it and I said yes.

It was a nice truck, and I was impressed until he asked me about $.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
One advantage Hino has that I didn't see mentioned was they have an unlimited mileage warranty . I believe it's for 3 years . I still think they need more service centers to cover OTR trucks adequately .

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
KW dealer in FL sold both and there was roughly a ten thousand dollar difference on chassis price with the KW300 having a bigger engine, fuel tanks, and a couple of other things. I would figure the sleeper, box and other items would be simular? Sounds like the dealer made some extra cash after the chassis cost with regards to the Hino.
I would stay with the KW for a 4,000 difference. Your truck will last twice as long and the resale aren't even in the same ball park.
I would have to see at least a $10,000 spread to consider one.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

sixwheeler44

Expert Expediter
sixwheeler 826 Hi John,sixwheeler here,i am in the process of ordering new hino from rush in Dallas.338 with 6speed trans instead of automatic.96 inch AA high rise no condo,22ft.marion smooth side box. this truck will be well equiped and my total cost will be 82,000 bucks.I will have it in 6 wks or so.dont buy from ab.
:)

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Let us know how you like it once you get it, and put it on the road.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
>Don't plan on unloading your Hino at the GM plant in Ft.
>Wayne. Sign by the gate reads "NO FOREIGN VEHICLES ALLOWED"
Does that include vehicles made in Canada and Mexico ? Where are sprinters manufactured ?

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
That is the kinda a Price I was expecting to hear. For that its a nice truck, if the ride is as nice. Do yourself and favor and order the air ride seats (both).

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I would really be careful and do a lot of research and thinking before putting a Hino on the road. It's too close in price to a similarly speced Sterling and the biggest thing is they aren't similarly speced the Sterling is way ahead. One huge difference is drivetrain.

Horsepower/torque RPM @ 70mph
Hino 260/585 ~ 2400
Sterling 300/860 ~ 1800

You can't turn the engine as fast as that Hino and expect the same lifetime out of it. You also don't have near the power when climbing 26/40 in North Carolina going to Tennessee and having done it near max gvw in the Sterling let me tell you it's needed. With the same drivetrain and sleeper specs the difference is maybe $10k and a Bentz sleeper is top of the line which is worth some of the difference so you're looking at very very similar costs.

I may be all wrong and if after a minimum of 3 years service the Hino proves me wrong I'll say so but I won't be one of the real world testers without a very significant cost savings up front and it's not there. At $60k for a non-condo sleeper truck I might give it a try, above that and the risk is too high. YMMV.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 4958, 5447
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.