HINO and HIRO ROCK!

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Edited reprint.

WOODSTOCK, Ont. -- Japanese truckmaker Hino might be making headway into the medium-duty conventional truck market, but there’s nothing conventional about the company president Hiro Omori.

The theme of the meeting was “Hino Rocks.â€

The show opened with a four-piece rock band fronted by an Alannah Myles clone who got the crowd clapping.

After all the marketing and technological announcements were done, out to the stage came Hiro Omori. And rather than delivering a speech, which is what most people expected, the president of the company -- in black pants, shades and black shirt -- strutted around the stage with his seasoned Ibanez six-string, jamming with the band and even at one point hoisting his axe up over his head and playing behind his back.

By paying homage to what Hendrix did at that other Woodstock a few decades ago, Omori has arguably earned himself the title of Coolest Truck OEM Pres On the Planet.

Today’s Trucking senior account manager Jack Meli was in attendance. Meli himself is an accomplished musician and former professional bass player. His comment about Omori’s debut? “I knew he played but I didn’t know he was that good.â€

NOTE: It sure beats the "Good Ole Boy" concept where they offer prospective truck show buyers a pass to a company suite and then hit you with the smooze and booze. Standard fare truck manufacturers have been doing business the old way for so long I seriously doubt if they will ever change. Moreover, their business practices are reflected in the quality of their products.

"You can lead em' to school, but you can't make them think."

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
So are thier trucks going to be any better for otr/expedite application or not? I was expecting to find out they were making improvements to thier trucks or something.