Hino 338 vs. Freightliner M2 106

mainline253

Rookie Expediter
We are replacing a 2001 F-750- I got Pricing for an International Durastar, Hino 338 and Freightliner M2 106. All are pretty equal in chassis, engine and options. I was not impressed with the International's quality so that is off the table, now its down to the Hino and the Freightliner. I was hoping pricing would be a more deciding factor, but they are literally within a couple hundred dollars of each other. Looking for any opinions, thoughts or ideas.

A little about the truck use- we are a highway guardrail installer, we will be mounting a 17,000 lb hydraulic post driver and auger on the back of this. Don't put a lot of miles on our equipment- roughly 10,000 miles a year, however, we do put a lot of hours on the engine. The Freightliner was priced with a Cummins ISB 6.7, the Hino with their own J08E-VB engine. horse power and torque are both 260 hp, 660 lb.ft. Both are 33,000lb GVW trucks.

Thank You!

paullud

Veteran Expediter
If you were concerned about the International's quality just wait until you are driving that Hino. :D I believe Freightliners are the way to go, lots of dealers if you need parts and TA/Petro are service points.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Frtlnr for resale, parts availability.

If you have a Paccar Dealer nearby look at KW or Pete.

Or better yet, Isuzu. Can even get a four door if that would help.

pandora2112

Seasoned Expediter
We have Hinos and Freightliners in our fleet and if I could trade the Hinos for a wheelbarrel I would! Trying to even get an oil change on the Hino is a process...no one ever has the filters. Had the radiator go out in one, finally found one after a lot of searching but most parts dealers were saying if they ordered the radiator it'd take two weeks to get in from Japan.

Sent from my VS910 4G using EO Forums mobile app

mainline253

Rookie Expediter
I have heard from several people that the parts can be difficult to get. I read one review online that Hino's are really more of a "delivery truck" than a "service/utility truck", any opinions about that?

mainline253

Rookie Expediter
The impression I got, they were inferring not as rugged or durable- "lighter duty" compared to other trucks in its class..not really anything on or about off road capabilities.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I hauled trucks for years. Did Hinos for the first few years they were over here. Never was impressed.
I can see them being sort of light.

Why new ?

mainline253

Rookie Expediter
Just a standard cab, we never travel more than 100 miles from our shop. Hino put up a good fight- decent price, good warranty and well represented, but in the end it came down to the truck itself and after driving/testing all three the Freightliner just seemed like the best fit. This is going to be our only Class 7 truck, we have 4- Class 6 Trucks and 23- 1-Ton Trucks.