Hino 268 No Throttle Response In Gear

Evilbean42

New Recruit
Mechanic
Hey,
First off, I'm a long time creeper in this forum. The 92 page GreasyTshirt thread has fixed a few issues for me. So thanks for the past fixes. I am a career auto mechanic (regular cars, not diesel trucks) who became a facilities tech for a company that has a 2006 Hino 268 that is used to make runs between 2 buildings. Today the truck completely lost throttle response on the last run of the day. Everything is fine in park, if I step on the pedal it revs right up no problem. Once in gear I can floor it and it will not go above 1,000 RPM. It doesn't sputter and miss, it's just like I'm not stepping on the pedal. I'll probably have to get it towed to the dealer in the morning, but I figured I'd see if anybody had something for me to check before I do. Thanks in advance for any advice, and more importantly one more big thank you for all of the previous fixes this forum has handled before I needed to sign up.

Hino123

Expert Expediter
Researching
Sounds like a turbo/ VNT to me, especially that vintage. Is the check engine light on? It’s hard to diagnose without dealer software but... look at the linkage rod on the turbo and have someone turn the key on and off. It should “sweep” up and down. This moves the VNT vanes. I have had a few that would not move at all due to the linkage fell off and not the compressor wheel was biinding so bad it would not move on flat ground. You can also get a long screw driver and push it down with the key off, then look it see if the linkage rod comes up when you turn the key on. If it doesn’t the VNT is not operating properly. Hope this helps

Evilbean42

New Recruit
Mechanic
When I came in this morning the truck was running normally. I anticipate the problem will return in the near future but now I'm just waiting to see what happens. I'll take a look at the turbo when I catch it acting up again. Check engine light was not on at any point.

Reactions: Hino123