Hino 268 misfire troubles

Techmaster

Rookie Expediter
Mechanic
Hello everyone, I have a Hino 268 J08E-VC, ECU# 89663-E2B47 with trouble code intercylinder compensation error #3.

I did injector cutout test with hinodx and cylinder 3 was dead.

Replaced #3 injector, coded it to ECM. drove for about 10-15km and code came back and misfire.

Hooked up DX and cleared the code and the misfire mysteriously went away...

I'm stumped on this one right now..what could be shutting down cylinder 3?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Check the flow damper on #3 for debris. The flow damper is the piece between the common rail and injection line. Sometimes you will find a small piece of wire stuck in the hole. This wire is from the injection pump, and pump replacement may be a priority if this is what you find.

Also, the wire pigtail between the injector wiring harness and injector will sometimes give a problem. It might even pass a continuity check. Often this is accompanied by a code for cylinder disconnection.

Techmaster

Rookie Expediter
Mechanic
Hey thanks for replying, somehow the injector hold down threads stripped and the injector came loose, broke the return rail, I replaced rail with banjo washers, new hold down, new injector pigtail, new oring. slapped it back together, still got a misfire on 3. Previous code gone and Now cylinder 3 disconnect code. I should of checked cont on the injector harness when I had it open....

I thought there was only one dampener in this system. Makes sense about it causing a problem if there is one per injector, might of been the original problem.

I noticed when reinstalling the new injector that the plastic top selnoid that is pressed into the top of the injector was pressed in on a angle (didn't seem right) possibly bad luck with a bad brand new Hino injector as well? Related to disconnect code?

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Got a pic of that injector? There is a clip on top, a wire guide that has the calibration codes printed on it. Was that loose, or the actual solenoid part?

Techmaster

Rookie Expediter
Mechanic
Ended up tearing it down again, removed the injector, checked resistance of the injector and had 0 ohms. Had another new one from Hino ready to roll just incase, checked resistance on it and had 0.06-0.11 all other injectors had the same resistance. Also checked continuity from cylinder 3 to injector harness connector and was good.

Installed new injector, kept the valve cover off just incase, programed it to ECM, fired it up, disconnect code inactive and misfire gone, guess I got a bummed injector from Hino... Going to take it for a good ride tomorrow to confirm it's all good.

Thanks for taking the time to help a brother in arms. I can still send a pic of it if your curious, time to fight with Hino for warranty lol

Hino123

Expert Expediter
Researching
I don't think I have ever seen a internally shorted injector on a Hino or UD.... ever. Nice find, ill have to keep an eye out for that going forward.

Reactions: greasytshirt