Hino 258 uphill problems

Damian Rodriguez

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Okay, I have a Hino tow truck 258. When I hit the 2000 RPM my power cuts off and there's turbo lag. I bought a 4000 dollar DPF filter, rebuilt the motor head and the turbo. When I installed the DPF filter (did it myself last week) I still had a check engine light from the last filter so I went to Rush Truck center so they could take it off. I got it back today and it's still lagging at 2000 RPM with a loss of power going uphill but not down hill. before these problems, I remember towing a car in loose sand and unfortunately I got stuck so it took me a while to get out with the help of my bed which I knew that I would cause damage to my transmission. After getting stuck, these problems started to occur with my truck not passing 2000 RPM with turbo lag. My friend told me I could be the RGP valve but I'm not too sure, can anyone help me?

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Okay, I have a Hino tow truck 258. When I hit the 2000 RPM my power cuts off and there's turbo lag. I bought a 4000 dollar DPF filter, rebuilt the motor head and the turbo. When I installed the DPF filter (did it myself last week) I still had a check engine light from the last filter so I went to Rush Truck center so they could take it off. I got it back today and it's still lagging at 2000 RPM with a loss of power going uphill but not down hill. before these problems, I remember towing a car in loose sand and unfortunately I got stuck so it took me a while to get out with the help of my bed which I knew that I would cause damage to my transmission. After getting stuck, these problems started to occur with my truck not passing 2000 RPM with turbo lag. My friend told me I could be the RGP valve but I'm not too sure, can anyone help me?
What year is the truck?

What codes is it setting?

Any warning lights at all? ABS, Check transmission, check engine??

What is an RGP valve?

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
You're in limp mode. Several things cause limp mode. Since you have a DPF, your truck is an 08 or later, meaning you can pull codes out of the dash.

Hold the mode button until a submenu appears. Scroll with the UP toggle until you see SYSTEM CHECK. Press DOWN on the toggle. It may say something like NO FAULTS. Hold the toggle UP (I think) for at least ten seconds, codes should appear, with time stamps. Keep tapping up on the UP toggle until you see them all. Write them all down, along with their date stamps. It doesn't matter if the clock is set right or not, we're looking for codes that all happened around the same time.

I'm not going to tell you how to clear them, because that won't fix the problem and they may provide clues later.

Damian Rodriguez

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
The truck doesn't not have a check engine anymore because I took it to Rush truck center to clear them out, they did a system reset and a regeneration, however my filter is acting wierd now, when the DPR system reaches at 3 bars I now have to clean the system because before I had to clean my filter at full bars not three. If I don't clean the system at three bars they disappear but no check engine light comes on.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
The codes are still saved in the dash. Retrieve them. Post them here with the timestamps.

You should rarely.have to manually regenerate. It needs an actual diagnosis. Chances are you will need a set of injectors, a turbo, or a modified itv. Or maybe all three.

Is there heavy soot in the tailpipe? If so, add a Dpf to that list.