hino 145 buy

Wyoming21

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Hi,
I'm about to buy a hertz Hino Truck 145, year 2005
180k miles!
My question is what problems do these trucks usually have with this mileage? What do I have to look for (on Monday) when I see the
Truck?

Everything helps!!! Thanx!!!!
Steven

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Interesting. I didn't know this truck existed. I see up to 17900 GVWR, does anybody know empty weight? Is this a super budget 5 ton or more like a "3 ton"

Edit: never mind. Doesn't look like the truck would be able to act as a 5 ton with sleeper lol

Last edited:

Wyoming21

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Interesting. I didn't know this truck existed. I see up to 17900 GVWR, does anybody know empty weight? Is this a super budget 5 ton or more like a "3 ton"

Edit: never mind. Doesn't look like the truck would be able to act as a 5 ton with sleeper lol
Hi,
It's a 14' box truck ( 14k gross)

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Hi,
I'm about to buy a hertz Hino Truck 145, year 2005
180k miles!
My question is what problems do these trucks usually have with this mileage? What do I have to look for (on Monday) when I see the
Truck?

Everything helps!!! Thanx!!!!
Steven

These things love to break exhaust manifolds. The 2008-10 trucks were much worse about it though. They're also kind of slow. Definitely test drive it. Listen for sounds of injector failure (nailing, misfire).
The biggest problem I have with the 2005 145s is how remarkably ugly they are, especially with the white grille and those headlights. Ugh.
Basically, do a thorough pre-trip inspection. I always recommend sending the truck to a shop for a combing-over, mabe 2 hours long, looking at all major systems. If to a dealer, even better. You'd be able to see if it's been overheated a bunch of times by using dealer software.

This is certainly not an expediter truck, lol.

Reactions: brokcanadian

Hino123

Expert Expediter
Researching
I might add having a compression check near this mileage is not a bad idea. These older J05 4cyl engines start to show there demons at roughly 200k. Also as Greasy mentioned they are kind of a dog/underpowered.