High pitch whine

fatboy1

Veteran Expediter
We have a 06 columbia, when pulling a hill with decent load or a long grade, when truck downshifts, we hear a whine that sounds like coming from turbo area any suggesrions or has someone had this prob. Before, fuel economy has decreased since this started last week.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Hard to tell. Could be a bad pulley or tensioner on the belts? If you are convinced that it is the turbo, I would have it pressure tested. You could have a leak on the air charger causing a drop in pressure to the turbo.

smokn72ss

Seasoned Expediter
sounds like loose clamp .. torn flex hose ..... I had a turbo replaced on a western star .. dam mechanic didn't tighten **** on it .. check the clamp on the turbo itself ..

smokn72ss

Seasoned Expediter
is this truck stick or automatic ? if automatic maybe a restriction in the cooler lines to the trans cooler or vibration from fluid pressure raising in the lines as you put more strain pulling the hill that is transmitting to the frame .. is there transmission filters mounted over on that side maybe one is getting some restriction just trying to think or the posiblities

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The noise gets worse when the truck downshifts under a pull,
Fuel economy has gotten worse,

2 things there point to either a turbo or a leak in the air intake piping or charge air cooler. Under load the boost is higher, after a downshift it rises considerably. That event will expose any weakness your turbo or piping etc will have.

Does the noise happen in any gear after a downshift or only when you drop out of top gear? If it only happens in 1 gear you may need to look else where.

fatboy1

Veteran Expediter
took truck to freightliner in raleigh,nc, it coded,they checked and said egr temp sensor was bad replaced(still under warrenty)
so far havent heard the high pitch whine like before. so thanks for all the sugguestions,knew i could get some here.will check fuel in a couple days and see if that helped. be safe and have a merry christmas:D

smokn72ss

Seasoned Expediter
I forgot about the egr system down there .... on the new ones ... I hope that helps maybe its a restriction in the egr system too .. on top of the sensor ..... good luck

fatboy1

Veteran Expediter
ok so far so good,have heard the whine since sensor was replaced,been working like a top. thanks for the suggestions
:cool: