Hi, we're newbies.

fifaref2

Seasoned Expediter
Hi, We just filed our LLC. Looking to purchase a used 2500 170WB sprinter, have looked at CV's but figure sprinter might be better route. Is there a cutoff in years to consider? Figured 2008 or newer but have seen some 2007's that may work.

Waiting to hear back from CIS. Going to file EIN then DOT #'s. Is it just a couple weeks for DOT #?

Is there anyone out there that uses Sylectus on their own to find their loads?

What type of software you use to keep track of everything for taxes?

We may purchase a sprinter if we come across a can't pass up kinda deal but we probably won't expedite til November. I referee high school and college soccer which will keep me busy nearly everyday til November. Emme will be the owner and work her job for sometime to come. We won't be a team, just myself driving at this point. Dropping hints to her that a straight truck as a team down the rd is the way to go.

We went to the Expo and are gathering info and just waiting to pull the trigger. Since we're in Chicago we hope there's lots of freight to run out of here often.

Thanks,
Em & M Transport
Mike & Emme

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
I think I heard to stay away from 07 & 08 Sprinters.
Get a real accountant.
How are you getting loads? Cold calls?

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Hi, We just filed our LLC. Looking to purchase a used 2500 170WB sprinter, have looked at CV's but figure sprinter might be better route. Is there a cutoff in years to consider? Figured 2008 or newer but have seen some 2007's that may work.

Waiting to hear back from CIS. Going to file EIN then DOT #'s. Is it just a couple weeks for DOT #?

Is there anyone out there that uses Sylectus on their own to find their loads?

What type of software you use to keep track of everything for taxes?

We may purchase a sprinter if we come across a can't pass up kinda deal but we probably won't expedite til November. I referee high school and college soccer which will keep me busy nearly everyday til November. Emme will be the owner and work her job for sometime to come. We won't be a team, just myself driving at this point. Dropping hints to her that a straight truck as a team down the rd is the way to go.

We went to the Expo and are gathering info and just waiting to pull the trigger. Since we're in Chicago we hope there's lots of freight to run out of here often.

Thanks,
Em & M Transport
Mike & Emme

Welcome to EO and thanks for attending the Expo!

I'm curious why you are not leasing to a carrier?

fifaref2

Seasoned Expediter
Was looking for info about using Sylectus on our own to find loads. Does anyone do that? After I find that info good or bad that will determine our next step for loads. We will look into some Carriers also which is the norm. I haven't created a list yet for companies to call for cold calls yet.

fifaref2

Seasoned Expediter
Was hoping by being in Chicago that we could make Sylectus work w/o leasing to a carrier. That may not work as well as I would hope then we would have to lease on.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
You may want to stop now and actually learn about the industry before you try to run a business. I don't want to sound rude but so far everything you have accomplished is a waste of time and money. You aren't qualified to use Sylectus because you need at least 10 vehicles.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Suggestion 1- Do not buy an 07 or o8 sprinter.
#2 Do not buy now talk to a dodge dealer and see when they expect their new vans.
#3 Lease to a carrier for at least 6 months and learn about the business before trying it on your own.
#4 Do not buy an 07 or 09 sprinter.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you have a another source of income you might consider waiting until February. December and January can be slim pickings out here.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Suggestion 1- Do not buy an 07 or o8 sprinter.
#2 Do not buy now talk to a dodge dealer and see when they expect their new vans.
#3 Lease to a carrier for at least 6 months and learn about the business before trying it on your own.
#4 Do not buy an 07 or 09 sprinter.

And don't buy an 07 or 08 Sprinter.
But correct, hold into your LLC. But learn a lot about this before moving forward. It only costs more moving forward. Even if you do round up 10 drivers to sign on.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
And don't buy an 07 or 08 Sprinter.
But correct, hold into your LLC. But learn a lot about this before moving forward. It only costs more moving forward. Even if you do round up 10 drivers to sign on.

I thought a LLC was only good in your state of residence .not recognized out of state??

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums mobile app

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
LOL!! If that's the case, I'm F'd!!!
No, your company is based in your home state but you can deliver wherever you pay to operate. If van(s) and Sprinters you don't need to worry about single state registration to operate there. Your MC authority will suffice.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Meet with an accountant. Talk about filing your S-corp, if thats your route. BUT, don't move forward until you either have a sales plan or get on Sylectus. (10+ trucks)
But do a lot of reading here on EO first.
Do a lot of soul searching!!!!
But KNOW how you will make money.
Not guesses, know.
I dropped a big chunk of my 401k into starting. If it fails......

paullud

Veteran Expediter
LOL!! If that's the case, I'm F'd!!!
No, your company is based in your home state but you can deliver wherever you pay to operate. If van(s) and Sprinters you don't need to worry about single state registration to operate there. Your MC authority will suffice.

He is talking about the LLC covering you legally in your home state. There is rarely a time when an OO of any vehicle will need to file an LLC because you aren't likely to have an accident in your home state. The other issue is that as an OO you have no protection because if you hit someone you will be sued as the driver which leaves your personal assets on the line any way so the LLC is pretty much a waste.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Yeah, useless as an OO. But it sounded like he had bigger plans. Plus, the LLC is already filed. He'll have it whether, or not, he uses or needs it.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Yeah, useless as an OO. But it sounded like he had bigger plans. Plus, the LLC is already filed. He'll have it whether, or not, he uses or needs it.

Before someone spends their start up capital on dreams of the future they should probably hold on to it for the here and now. Researching the business you want to produce an income from is important because it can help you save important start up capital. When I tried out running a CV I found out through this site that there are some states that I wouldn't have to pay sales tax on the van. A little research, a little time explaining to the DMV clerk, then her supervisor, and a phone call to Albany and it saved me over $1k in sales tax because oddly enough NY has the loophole. I started a thread about it when it happened.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
He is talking about the LLC covering you legally in your home state. There is rarely a time when an OO of any vehicle will need to file an LLC because you aren't likely to have an accident in your home state. The other issue is that as an OO you have no protection because if you hit someone you will be sued as the driver which leaves your personal assets on the line any way so the LLC is pretty much a waste.

What I thought.. there were useless as OO..

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums mobile app

fifaref2

Seasoned Expediter
That is an option we have and were considering. Thanks.
If you have a another source of income you might consider waiting until February. December and January can be slim pickings out here.

fifaref2

Seasoned Expediter
It's info, not rude. Thanks. A Sylectus rep led us to believe we could move fwd w/ 1 truck but that obviously isn't accurate but that's why I ask and dbl check.
You may want to stop now and actually learn about the industry before you try to run a business. I don't want to sound rude but so far everything you have accomplished is a waste of time and money. You aren't qualified to use Sylectus because you need at least 10 vehicles.

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's info, not rude. Thanks. A Sylectus rep led us to believe we could move fwd w/ 1 truck but that obviously isn't accurate but that's why I ask and dbl check.

You should try NLM, not Sylectus. If you have cv only, then you don't need a USDOT #
Unless you have lots of $$$ til you'll actually start making money with your company, you better get leased with other carriers.
Oh, and stay away from a site named Cargosoup. They'll take your money and you won't get not even a thank you.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using EO Forums mobile app