Hi no 268 no acceleration

Kyle01888

New Recruit
Mechanic
Hi guys new to the forum. My shop has 22 Hino 268s from 2013 to 2017. I have a 2013 right now that has no acceleration from a dead stop but is fine after about 45 seconds or so and seems to wake up. Its fine going down the road and has plenty of power just not from a dead stop. Replaced the brake switch at the pedal for the hell of it and the fuel filter. Also checked the turbo end shaft play and seems tight. It regens fine and has no dash lights. Anyone else having a similar issue??

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Hi guys new to the forum. My shop has 22 Hino 268s from 2013 to 2017. I have a 2013 right now that has no acceleration from a dead stop but is fine after about 45 seconds or so and seems to wake up. Its fine going down the road and has plenty of power just not from a dead stop. Replaced the brake switch at the pedal for the hell of it and the fuel filter. Also checked the turbo end shaft play and seems tight. It regens fine and has no dash lights. Anyone else having a similar issue??
Is it an air brake truck? There's an air switch on the service brake relay valve, it gets moisture in it and will cause identical symptoms. This can be confirmed with DXII, look for disagreement between the brake switch and stop light switch.

There are a couple switches down there. You'll be able to isolate the correct switch by unplugging one at a time, jumping the harness connector, test driving it, etc. When you isolate it, bring it with you to the dealer. They are hard to identify in the diagrams, so you may have to compare color of plastics, connector shapes, paint dots, stickers, etc.

Sent from my XT1585 using EO Forums mobile app

Last edited:
Reactions: Jordan

wheelcheck

Active Expediter
Hey greasy. Having a similar problem in my 2008 338. Replaced both the electronic switch at the pedal and on the service brake relay valve. Seems to happen randomly and will kick back in after 1-5 minutes of waiting.

Baja

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
I got 2007 hino 268 non airbrakes starts and drives fine and after a while on stop and go traffic starts loosing power. It takes few seconds before i start getting power back
Highway speed runs with no issues or idling
After i changed fuel filter could not prime fuel from the tank to the fuel filter used starting fluid to start.
Found some dirt in fuel lines but think should be fine in that matter. Have friend who helped get primer working again but was told that might be a problem if sucking air
Anyone have similar problem please advise
Thanks

Reactions: davidw787

wheelcheck

Active Expediter
Does it lose power or is there no response from the throttle? The 2007 268's have 2 electronic switches at the brake pedal. One is on the pedal itself and the other is above the pedal and activates when you let go of the brake. Sometimes that switch goes bad and will prevent the truck from accelerating because it thinks the brake pedal is still being pressed. If you haven't changed it yet, I would. It's a cheap enough fix.

Baja

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
IThank you kindly for your response
Basically it looks like it doesn’t have enough power goes very slow after dead stop and gets full power after few seconds and then start driving normally
On highway speed no problem
Sometimes if I stop for a few minutes and restart the engine then it takes a few miles before it starts again but only in stop and go traffic
I will definitely look into it thank you so much

wheelcheck

Active Expediter
Next time it happens put your foot under the brake pedal and pull up a few times and see it starts driving normally. Sometimes the bracket for the switch will get bent and the pedal wont go up far enough to depress the switch all the time. I've had this happen on all 5 of my 2007 268's that have hydraulic brakes.

Hino123

Expert Expediter
Researching
95% it is a brake switch issue. If you have someone watch your brake lights, press down lightly on your pedal and see if you can get the brake lights to stay on. It may take several times. If they ever stay on without the pedal depressed. Your switch is out of adjustment. There is an updated spring that cures the issue in coMbination with a switch adjustment. Sometimes I get trucks that this happens when cornering as well. Check it out and report back.

Hino123

Expert Expediter
Researching
Tsb’s

Attachments

• 349A62E0-75AA-48F7-A934-719DC02CCE14.png
    349A62E0-75AA-48F7-A934-719DC02CCE14.png
    554.9 KB · Views: 87

Jordan

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
Is it an air brake truck? There's an air switch on the service brake relay valve, it gets moisture in it and will cause identical symptoms. This can be confirmed with DXII, look for disagreement between the brake switch and stop light switch.

There are a couple switches down there. You'll be able to isolate the correct switch by unplugging one at a time, jumping the harness connector, test driving it, etc. When you isolate it, bring it with you to the dealer. They are hard to identify in the diagrams, so you may have to compare color of plastics, connector shapes, paint dots, stickers, etc.

Sent from my XT1585 using EO Forums mobile app
greasytshirt you're help is always incredible! Thank you for doing what you do. I'd love to send you money, or a shirt/hat from my biz if you're interested. You're shared knowledge on this site has saved me thousands over the past few years!

Reactions: Hino123