HI from... The oil guy!?

existenz

Active Expediter
So I've been browsing these forums since the expedite show.
I was there with speedco/shell Rotella, and got my interest peaked after looking at the straight trucks sitting in front of me.

I've considered doing expedite before, usually in a T/T since thats what Im used to, but the sleepers made possible in a S/T setup made me drool a little.
I think someone came behind me to clean it up.

I've sent a message to a S/T team here and got back some info, and will keep reading the threads for now.

I can't make up my mind on if I want to do specialized and heavy haul, since I have a back ground driving skate boards, or do expedite.
Even then, If I do expedite, its a toss up on driving a S/T or T/T. The S/T seems so much more...pleasant..... and easy going. Yet, I would think the T/T offers slightly more net profit potential.
Solo driver BTW.

Any who, just thought I'd make a formal hello!
-Chris.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Hi Chris, and welcome!
One big difference is that expediters do a bit [ok, sometimes days on end] more waiting between loads. If that would drive you crazy, cross expediting off the list.
It does give you more time to do stuff [chores or fun], but less time at home, so your own personality is a major factor in which one is better for you.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Hi Chris glad you are posting lots and lots of information on the forums!

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Don't be so sure about the net profit potential of a T/T vs S/T.
Maintenance and wear and tear can be less on an S/T as the truck will never be running at 80,000 pounds. 6 or 10 tires vs 18, 4 or 6 sets of brakes vs 10. IRP Plates are less and there is usually no Heavy Vehicle Use Tax. I believe insurance is less too.
You can also go more places and not have to leave your trailer behind. And since you won't be swapping trailers you can store some of your stuff in the box if you want.
One upside to a T/T. If you don't like expediting, bed bugging, flat bedding or whatever you can take your tractor to just about any company and try something different.
Oh, and welcome to the forums.

Last edited:

existenz

Active Expediter
Hi Chris, and welcome!
One big difference is that expediters do a bit [ok, sometimes days on end] more waiting between loads. If that would drive you crazy, cross expediting off the list.
It does give you more time to do stuff [chores or fun], but less time at home, so your own personality is a major factor in which one is better for you.
I'm used to sitting now as it is. In my current gig, doing marketing, I drive 40,000 a year if even. I either sit in hotel rooms, the sleeper, or in the trailer while talking to people. I am also on the road 9-10 months of the year, with one week home during that time. I see having slightly more free time and fun time doing expedite, from what I have read...
Hi Chris glad you are posting lots and lots of information on the forums!
Thanks for your answers from earlier!
Don't be so sure about the net profit potential of a T/T vs S/T.
Maintenance and wear and tear can be less on an S/T as the truck will never be running at 80,000 pounds. 6 or 10 tires vs 18, 4 or 6 sets of brakes vs 10. IRP Plates are less and there is usually no Heavy Vehicle Use Tax. I believe insurance is less too.
You can also go more places and not have to leave your trailer behind. And since you won't be swapping trailers you can store some of your stuff in the box if you want.
One upside to a T/T. If you don't like expediting, bed bugging, flat bedding or whatever you can take your tractor to just about any company and try something different.
Oh, and welcome to the forums.
You are right, I should of rephrased it. The gross income potential might be higher in a T/T is what I meant. But either way I wouldn't really know since I have only seen random numbers. It's the S/T that interests me the most, by far.
I have no home, or apartment. SO a S/T would be like my camper/office! I could live in a 96" easily.

When I was 18 I traveled with a carnival for 9 months. I lived in a 6'x3' room in a RV type trailer. It sounds more spacious than it actually was.....
Welcome and ask away!!

Thanks!
Currently I am just trying to get a feel for average pay, cost's, and company to sign on to.
I've been in contact with two, both of whom are on this board.

Time will tell!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
The gross income potential might be higher in a T/T is what I meant. But either way I wouldn't really know since I have only seen random numbers.

Random thoughts ...

It isn't all about the numbers it is about the flexibility.

More often than not, a tractor will not sit when a straight truck will. With the right company - like Panther - you can find freight to stick on your truck at 15% cost to you and move the truck as you see fit without waiting for that great load.

A tractor, even though has a higher cost of running, makes up for that higher cost with capacity.

Don't get trapped into thinking that your straight will be running in any economic slow down, it most likely won't be compared to a tractor.

Moving from one company to another with a straight truck limits you to "expediting" companies, but with a tractor, you have a lot of places to go.

AND tractors that have been taken care of are easy to find, straight trucks on the other hand do require some searching.

leezaback

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
hey-hey oil guy-welcome to our world-decisions,decisions,check out landstar for the flat-I here they make gooood monies. do as your doing-ask-compile info-take what you need and spit out the rest-whatever you chose I hope you enjoy the ride.