Hi All! Kinda new around here...

ChuckinDetroit

New Recruit
Driver
Hi Guys!

I'm kinda a newbie around here. Got a CDL-A, and don't have alot of experience. (Long story)

Family issues prevents me from doing the 8 weeks with a trainer thing too. :oops:

I'd like to find a straight truck gig, that would have me out for a week and back home on the weekends. (I know, good luck!)

Anyhow, nice place here! ;)

-Chuck

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Welcome to EO.

Due to the general nature of expediting, you are probably better off going with a same day delivery company if you can't stay out for a stretch of time. It works for me.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Welcome Chuck.
I've got a friend that works for a same day delivery company in the area.
He's getting ready to retire.
He goes out and back, home every night and weekends.
If you don't mind driving a 13 letter sh1t spreader, maybe he'll post up in here and give you the contact info.
It'll be big shoes to fill.........

Sorry, to me a Navistar will always be a 13 letter sh1tspreader

Reactions: TeamPaul and ttruck

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Welcome Chuck.
If you don't mind driving a 13 letter sh1t spreader, maybe he'll post up in here and give you the contact info.
Sounds like what I do! Do I know him?

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
  1. Us farmers used to call an International a 13 letter sh1tspreader.

Internationals are now called Navistar.

My friend drives a Navistar box truck.

ChuckinDetroit

New Recruit
Driver
Welcome Chuck.
He's getting ready to retire.

Sorry, to me a Navistar will always be a 13 letter sh1tspreader

Oh, okay.... :p I was wondering... a manure truck? No way, my tummy ain't that strong.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Chuck, I'm just messing with Ragman.

One of the serious people of the site will probably give you some legit help tonight.

They are both on line today.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
All kidding aside, Chuck.

There are several same day companies in Metro Detroit. That would be my advise. Like I said it works for me.

ChuckinDetroit

New Recruit
Driver
All kidding aside, Chuck.

There are several same day companies in Metro Detroit. That would be my advise. Like I said it works for me.

To be quite honest, I really don't want to do local *anything* I just don't have the nerves to deal with city traffic. I'd like to find regional in a B truck. you know Michigan, Ohio....area.

ChuckinDetroit

New Recruit
Driver
I guess I should toss this in too. I drove, between 1999 and 2000; a 24 foot straight truck. I picked up Pallets at K-Mart stores around Michigan and Ohio.... and I loved it. :cool:

I was home every night, made decent money (9-10 an hour) and I loved the job. :D

I could drive a class B 24 to 26 or bigger straight truck and be home on the weekends. If I could find that, I'd be happier than a big eyed boy in a watermelon patch! (as my dad likes to say...) :D:p

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
To be quite honest, I really don't want to do local *anything* I just don't have the nerves to deal with city traffic. I'd like to find regional in a B truck. you know Michigan, Ohio....area.
I do mostly out and back. Very little local. I might take a load from Livonia to Findley, Oh or Ft Wayne, In, then dh back.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If you can carry furniture, become a day laborer for a moving company.
Or a helper on an appliance delivery truck.
No driving. You get to ride shotgun.

ChuckinDetroit

New Recruit
Driver
I should also say that this straight truck, wasn't considered a B truck, it was an old budget rental truck. little 4 cylinder English Ford engine in it. Didn't have a lot of power. :confused2:

ChuckinDetroit

New Recruit
Driver
Welcome to EO.

Due to the general nature of expediting, you are probably better off going with a same day delivery company if you can't stay out for a stretch of time. It works for me.

I could do a week, but I'd feel like a real butthole leaving my folks for any longer than that.

You see, Dad's 70 years old and Mom is her 60's. They need the help. and I am their only kid. So, it's on me to help out. I live with them too. So, there's that.