Here's my Sad tale....

Hightech_Hobo

Expert Expediter
I own a 2010 Sprinter. The problem started with a Diesel Exhaust Filter Indicator light that would not go out even after adding the DEF fluid.

The dealer told me that as a result of running one tank of 5% bio-diesel that the DEF Filter had clogged up and that the part alone was $2500.00 dollars.. As you can imagine I was upset that such an expensive repair had to be done at 160,000 miles.... I looked for alternatives...

I found that a DEF filter can be cleaned using a special process by DPF Regeneration out of Stanford, CT for 500.00 and got more upset with my dealer as they did not even mention this was an option... I decided to go this route and thought I could remove the filter myself and send it in, have it cleaned and re-install it upon its return. I took some time off in Feb to achieve this end..

When I got under the vehicle and looked at how to remove this section of the exhaust system I found I could not even see the starting point of the exhaust system to begin the removal and determined it was beyond my skill level to remove at least the front end of the exhaust system. I was in Bonita Springs, FL at the time...

I called the local Mercedes Benz dealer and asked them if they would remove this portion of the exhaust system so I could send it out for cleaning. They refused...citing "Legal Reasons" ..3 other Dealers in south florida gave me similar answers...

I finally found freightliner was not so shy so I cut my vacation short and returned to my Columbia, SC base where the freight liner dealer said he would remove and re-install the portion of the exhaust system in question. Cost should be around 250.00 ...

I dropped the van off on a thursday and was convinced that a local shop could do the cleaning and I could save the shipping costs, so I agreed to this plan. They apparently did not get to the van until Friday and sent off the part. I had expected this to be done by Sat. so I could go back into service on Monday. It seems as a result in the service delay we did not find out until Monday that this company did not have the right fittings to clean a sprinter filter.

Now the part will have to be shipped up to CT., go through a 48 hour cleaning process and be shipped back and reinstalled. This would delay going back into service for another week.

Finally I get the call the job is done and I go down to pick up the vehicle and am handed a bill for $1100.00.(this is only for the labor of removing and re-installling the section of the exhaust system. The cleaning and shipping bill is a separate bill from DPFRegeneration.(around 650.00 all told).

Imagine my reaction...

After scaring a few customers with in hearing range the labor bill was negotiated down to $845.00 and I left the establishment still quite upset but determined to let it go as a bad experience and move on... I go back into service and have about a month of trouble free expediting...(other than a very poor showing of revenue for the first quarter)

2 days ago the DPF light comes on again...I add the required fluid...Light goes out...39 miles later...Light comes on...another 2.5 gals of fluid...Light does not go out..I think how is it possible to use this much fluid...

i attempt to add more fluid only to find tank is full and can take no more...Been stuck in TX for 5 days with no runs or offers and I'm frustrated on that level so I say to myself...go home for the weekend, stop by the dealer and get what I now assume is a sensor installed incorrectly or gone bad as a result of the recent repair corrected and knock off a couple of other small issues while there. Take the weekend and lick your wounds and get back at on monday...

I was just informed by the dealer that the reason for the DPF light is an "SMS"(not sure of this abbreviation)..but it is the basically a catylitic converter is "still bad" and they had informed me this needed replaced along with the DPF filter at the original diagnosis.

I do not remember being told of this and if I had I certainly would have approached it at the Feb repair. I am also informed this part is a $2000.00 part and requires the same section of exahust be removed.

I am quite certain that I would remember being told $4500.00 in parts plus labor vs $2500.00. I think the service advisor after seeing me react to the $2500.00 part he did not get to the SMS part of the diagnosis in his explanation.

End result I am looking at another $3000.00 repair.. I can delay it a bit but ultimately it will have to be done.

The manager at the sprinter department of my dealer got a bit of an ear full to and we left it at him making some calls to see what he can do...

I will update as the story progressess....

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just a word to the wise. Talk to others about Sprinter problems and what the solution was. Also read Sprinter forums on the Web. You will often find yourself armed with info the techs do not think about. The dpf, cc problem is not an uncommon one. Anytime there is a problem with one the other needs checked. On 07 and up models idling is your worst enemy.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using EO Forums

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Dang i love my Chevy/Cargo Max.....and yes there is a 2010 Sprinter in the family, so i do understand your pain...it is running around with a Cat that is over 70% plugged right now....I have the name of a really good Sprinter tech in Toledo , if you need it, PM me...

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
Dennis i wonder if the clogged cat is what is causing my def problems with the light staying on.? But holy cow its expensive to replace. Maybe all my problems boil down to a clogged cat or dpf. Don't see why someone hasn't come up with a dpf bypass yet seems tons of people have trouble with them

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
Man I feel bad for you and glad for me that I did not buy a Sprinter (always wanted one)..
Serious $$ for an exhaust system tho now that I think about it the DEF box on a new Cascadia will set you back 15K to replace.

Last edited:

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
Also making me scared to buy one more and more i hear about these problems sense I'm getting close to buying this one. Cargo max is looking pretty attractive lol

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Dennis i wonder if the clogged cat is what is causing my def problems with the light staying on.? But holy cow its expensive to replace. Maybe all my problems boil down to a clogged cat or dpf. Don't see why someone hasn't come up with a dpf bypass yet seems tons of people have trouble with them
As Dennis just told you..it was 70% clogged when you took over driving it....it won't unclog itself....it needs to be changed....

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Almost all dpf and cc problems are caused by idling. Notice I did not say excessive. Set it up right to avoid idling and avoid the problem.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
What's an excess amount of idle time for sprinters?

At this point of engineering they seem sensitive to any idling at all....keep in mind 2010 is the 1st year of DEF...problems are bound to occur.....same thing happened in 03/04 with our EGR's clogging up....in 05 the redesign greatly improved the problem.

Last edited:

robh2

Veteran Expediter
Sorry HoBo. This is terrible. I hope things get better.

This is why I would only get gas and not diesel. The EPA has killed the diesel. I could not live with the anxiety of things going wrong and the expenses involved with a diesel.

Robert

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What's an excess amount of idle time for sprinters?

It seems to be anything other than that occured in the normal course of driving. In my view its more of an hours idled thing. Once you reach x hours overall your gonna have problems. Now if someone could just figure out what x=

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I see Hobo hasn't been back to reply... He's set up with an Espar and a generator with a roof A/C, so idling isn't an issue for him.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Hearing things like this are what makes thinking Sprinter a scary thought. The 185 inches of load floor is attractive for hauling 3 and maybe even 4 skids but the huge expenses and almost $20k higher purchase price makes a Nissan NV look more appealing all the time. The Cargomaxx also looks good except when looking at the mpg numbers. I hope this Sprinter tale has a happy ending. I guess bio-diesel is not the Sprinter's friend.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I see Hobo hasn't been back to reply... He's set up with an Espar and a generator with a roof A/C, so idling isn't an issue for him.

Was just coming in to say that. He is set up for "0" idling. I dont remember if he told me if or how much he idled before getting everything set up.

Deville

Not a Member
It's stories like this that make me stay away from the sprinter & stay in my Ford van.

I'm sorry you are going though this. I had a similar exaust issue with my Frieghtliner. I needed a new exaust & my mechanic wanted $1800 to replace it. I wound up doing it myself for less than $500. Thank God I did not have these types of issues.