Hendrickson air ride front axle

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
My straight truck has a hendrickson airride front axle i'm having problems with the front end of the truck bottoming out on either the axle stops or the airbag stops when hitting even a small bump. have been to a couple of shops they can't find anything wrong so I got it at a shop that specializes in truck front ends and frames they felt the same thing i feel when they road tested the truck but don't have an answer only suggestions. They say the front airbags could be old and rubber not as stiff as it should be or try to find a better shock than the factory shock or try to upgrade the airbag to a bigger one. i sked them to check the ride heith to see if it was within factory spec they said there is no adjustment for the ride heidth. they seem to think with the tractor stretched out and box put on it that it's too much weight for that airride front suspension. The front end has 1 airbag, 1 shock, and one leaf spring that is just for stabilazation on each side of the front end. the truck is an 07 Freightliner Columbia class 8 with a 24' box and liftgate, and 2 rear drive axles. wondering if anyone has had this same problem or if you have any thoughts or ideas.
Thanks

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I'd get an accurate weight and any numbers I could off axle/suspension parts.
Then I'd call Hendrickson customer service. They may lead you to some
help.
Maybe the people at Donvel can help. They make valving to help control air into and out of the bags.
Someone on here has used their products and liked them.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
if the bags are old i would replace them. shocks also. i would then address the spring issue. it may be there for stabilization but it is there for help in dampening also. at 7 yrs old being a single spring it is toast. i would replace and upgrade it at the same time. the spring has a weight rating and i would go to a heavier or a spring and a half or two springs. there is a place in terre haute, in called burke spring [google them ] they have spring packs for everything and they can custom produce. they turned my spring and a half taper leaf set up into a full taper leaf set up and increased my spring weight from 12k to 13200k for about 200$ a side for the springs and bushings and misc. parts. they are really good at what they do. give them a call

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
if the bags are old i would replace them. shocks also. i would then address the spring issue. it may be there for stabilization but it is there for help in dampening also. at 7 yrs old being a single spring it is toast. i would replace and upgrade it at the same time. the spring has a weight rating and i would go to a heavier or a spring and a half or two springs. there is a place in terre haute, in called burke spring [google them ] they have spring packs for everything and they can custom produce. they turned my spring and a half taper leaf set up into a full taper leaf set up and increased my spring weight from 12k to 13200k for about 200$ a side for the springs and bushings and misc. parts. they are really good at what they do. give them a call

Shcks were replaced in December, Drivers side spring was replaced a year ago because it broke, airbags are original.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
Shcks were replaced in December, Drivers side spring was replaced a year ago because it broke, airbags are original.

i would still consider doing all of it at once. maybe minus the shocks but they are taking a beating in its current condition. call burke spring !!!!!!!!!

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I will call Burke spring thanks for that info, I would also like to increase the rating from 12,000 to 13,200 like you did, Is it hard to find tires rated at 6,600 lbs? just talked to the shop we are putting new OEM airbags on the front and also shocks I will let Burke do the spring I am short for time at the moment as I am booked on a load that picks up sun in north Jersey drops in miami, Fla then return to Jersey. It's an entertainment load that pays very well.
Thanks for the info on Burkes.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
I will call Burke spring thanks for that info, I would also like to increase the rating from 12,000 to 13,200 like you did, Is it hard to find tires rated at 6,600 lbs? just talked to the shop we are putting new OEM airbags on the front and also shocks I will let Burke do the spring I am short for time at the moment as I am booked on a load that picks up sun in north Jersey drops in miami, Fla then return to Jersey. It's an entertainment load that pays very well.
Thanks for the info on Burkes.

find some " H " rated tires, should be close to that. continental makes a nice H rated HSR steer tire and i think michelan makes the XZA 3 in an H.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Are you sure it's the springs or bags? Have you looked real closely at front cab mount bushings (isolators)?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums mobile app

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
Are you sure it's the springs or bags? Have you looked real closely at front cab mount bushings (isolators)?

that could be a possibility, he did say it was bottoming out on the spring and air bag stops so i was guessing he has seen evidence on those that brought him to that conclusion. bad cab mounts will make a hard ride also.

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Thanks for bringing that up I will have them check that.
The truck feels like its bottoming out on something like an airbag stop or axle stop because it even the mechanic felt it on the test ride but I will bring up the cab mount bushings.

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
So I spent $800.00 for new airbags and a front end alignment that the shop said was the problem got on the road and no change in ride. While I was in Miami I took it to the dealership they checked a few things and discovered the truck had the wrong shocks and were too short. They were installed by TA truckstop 6 month's ago. Thanks alot TA you will be missed......NOT!

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yes it made all the difference in the world. Do you think TA will reimburse after 6 months. Personally I think they should pay the freitliner bill for troubleshooting and putting on the right shocks

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I would think they would. Easier if you had old shocks and or Frtliner wrote ticket as replace wrong shocks.

The can compare specs/sizes of their shocks to the Frtliner shocks and see the size/travel difference .

Definitely worth a phone call/letter or two.

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't have the old shocks but freightliner did put on the bill wrong shocks, also the shocks that TA put on were a Monroe and Hendrickson makes the only shock for that front end no one else makes one for it. The hendrickson shock is also fatter around then the Monroe that TA installed Freightliner tech said the TA guy should have known it was wrong when the shock bolts would not tighten down on the shocks cause they were too skinny.