Help with computers

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
OK, here we go. My computer is dead, toast, shot, get the picture? LOL! The hard drive is no longer. It is too old and has too many other 'problems' to make it worth fixing.

I know what I need in a new one, sort of. I know I need a 15" matt screen. The entire case must be a matt finish as well.

I run little on it. A GPS program, basic internet stuff, no gaming or fancy things.

I want to be able to run Windows 7, 64 bit. (I think) What I don't know is what kind of processor, how much ram etc. I do NOT need a big hard drive, I only have a little over 40gb on now and see little need to go beyond that.

Suggestions?

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
For a couple hundred dollars I had good luck with the Toshiba netbooks.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Toshiba. You can't kill them.
We are on our second one and our old one which is about 7 or 8 years old is still working.
Walmart has them for around $399.
It has a partitioned hard drive. If it gets a nasty virus you can always restore it back to the new in box condition.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Any $500 to $600 laptop at Best Buy or Office Depot should be more than adequate for your needs. Most come with Windows 7 64-bit, all of which will have more than enough RAM and a fast enough processor to handle Windows 7 and any of the programs you are running. Few have matte cases, however.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Either bestbuy.com or a trip to your local best buy store. You might also want to check a Frye's store if you are where they have them.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Do I need an IM-3, 5, or 7 processor? Is 6GB of ram enough?

I have not found a matt system over the counter for years. I am looking at a custom system to meet that need.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ditto Best Buy. I spent about $600 a couple of years ago. Nice screen, plenty fast, should be all you need.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
6 GB PC3-10600 DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz SODIMM Memory (2 DIMM)

Intel Core i5-2430M Processor (2.40GHz, 3MB L3, 1333MHz)

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.

Will this system meet my needs? I think it will with a bit of room to grow. Don't know enough about the processors.

It is a Lenovo, which is what the one I am replacing is. That one lasted 4 years.

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter

Intel Core i5-2430M Processor (2.40GHz, 3MB L3, 1333MHz)

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.

Will this system meet my needs? I think it will with a bit of room to grow. Don't know enough about the processors.

It is a Lenovo, which is what the one I am replacing is. That one lasted 4 years.

Oh ya, it'll do everything you want it to ;)

If you want toshiba..

Toshiba Portege R835-P84 Laptop

If you want dell. They are selling off a bunch of off lease ones.
DFS30Lap$300 should get you 30% off a 300+ priced machine.

Dell Laptops - Dell Laptops On Sale At Dell Financial Services

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
i5 (sandybridge) processor is more than enough for what you need it for, but it'll leave you lots of room to grow as well. same with 6GB of ram.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Do I need an IM-3, 5, or 7 processor? Is 6GB of ram enough?
Any laptop that comes with Windows 7 64-bit is going to have a more than adequate processor. Unless you have a special need that you have yet to disclose beyond that of GPS and basic Internet (maybe Word and Excel) with no gaming or fancy stuff, then any processor that comes with a Windows 7 64-bit laptop is going to be far more than you'll require. Same with 6 GM of RAM. Unless you are doing intense gaming, or video editing or high end Photoshop work, whatever CPU that comes with a $500-$600 laptop will be fine. Anything in that price range that also includes Windows 7 64-bit.

I have not found a matt system over the counter for years. I am looking at a custom system to meet that need.
Curious to know why such a need for the matte case. The matte screen I understand (muted colors and contrast which is bad for movies, Photoshop and gaming, but great for reducing glare). But the matte case?

Asus has plenty of matte cases, tho.

Lenovo's entire line of professional ThinkPads come with matte screens, and HP and Dell's business line of laptops are also available with matte screens. Anything with "brite" in the description of the screen (like Toshiba's TruBrite) will not be a matte screen.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Any laptop that comes with Windows 7 64-bit is going to have a more than adequate processor. Unless you have a special need that you have yet to disclose beyond that of GPS and basic Internet (maybe Word and Excel) with no gaming or fancy stuff, then any processor that comes with a Windows 7 64-bit laptop is going to be far more than you'll require. Same with 6 GM of RAM. Unless you are doing intense gaming, or video editing or high end Photoshop work, whatever CPU that comes with a $500-$600 laptop will be fine. Anything in that price range that also includes Windows 7 64-bit.

Curious to know why such a need for the matte case. The matte screen I understand (muted colors and contrast which is bad for movies, Photoshop and gaming, but great for reducing glare). But the matte case?

Asus has plenty of matte cases, tho.

Lenovo's entire line of professional ThinkPads come with matte screens, and HP and Dell's business line of laptops are also available with matte screens. Anything with "brite" in the description of the screen (like Toshiba's TruBrite) will not be a matte screen.

I like the matte case because I use my computer for my GPS. Those shinny cases create a LOT of glare going down the road. The matte screens and cases help cut down on that glare.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Oh, OK. Then 400 grit sandpaper and Minwax Polycrylic on the case will solve that problem. :D

So would a standlone GSP. :D

Seriously, since you have no special computing needs beyond the basics, don't get too bogged down in the processor and the amount of RAM. Any laptop that comes with Windows 7 64-bit will have plenty of power and plenty of RAM, more than enough for your needs (I would recommend 6 GB, or if you get one that has only 4 GB, spend the money on RAM modules and upgrade the RAM to 8 GB. Chances are that if you get a laptop that already comes with 8 GB, you'll be wasting money on a higher end processor and other bells and whistles than you really need). Instead, using the Windows 7 64-bit as the base, concentrate on that matte screen, as even the fastest computer with the most RAM possible will be useless if you can't see the screen in the daylight.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Oh, OK. Then 400 grit sandpaper and Minwax Polycrylic on the case will solve that problem. :D

So would a standlone GSP. :D

Seriously, since you have no special computing needs beyond the basics, don't get too bogged down in the processor and the amount of RAM. Any laptop that comes with Windows 7 64-bit will have plenty of power and plenty of RAM, more than enough for your needs (I would recommend 6 GB, or if you get one that has only 4 GB, spend the money on RAM modules and upgrade the RAM to 8 GB. Chances are that if you get a laptop that already comes with 8 GB, you'll be wasting money on a higher end processor and other bells and whistles than you really need). Instead, using the Windows 7 64-bit as the base, concentrate on that matte screen, as even the fastest computer with the most RAM possible will be useless if you can't see the screen in the daylight.

Got it! I assume then that an IM-3 is all I need, with 6GB of RAM? That is what I am leaning towards.

Only other question. Do I NEED Windows 7 PRO or is Home Premium enough?

I don't like stand alone GPS systems. They are FAR too difficult to input routing when a specific route is required. That is quite often a requirement on our loads.

Thanks for all the input

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Intel Core i3-2350M Processor (2.30GHz, 3MB L3, 1333MHz)

Home premium = $679

Same system with

8 GB PC3-10600 DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz SODIMM Memory (2 DIMM)

is $759

Much less if I go to AMD processors.

AMD Accelerated Processor A4-3300M

This is $679

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Got it! I assume then that an IM-3 is all I need, with 6GB of RAM? That is what I am leaning towards.
6 GB will be plenty. Most laptops that come with 6 are upgradable to 8, tho (32-bit Windows only supports 4 MB of RAM, 64-bit supports just a snotload if it, 192 GB). I always upgrade mine to whatever the max is, because I do a lot of multitasking and I work with some large images in Photoshop. I'll be looking at getting a new laptop soon, and I'll almost certainly go with a 6GB model and then upgrade it immediately to whatever the max RAM it can hold (which will be 8 GB or 12 GB in that price range).

Only other question. Do I NEED Windows 7 PRO or is Home Premium enough?
Here's the comparison of the different flavors. There are a few more differences than are listed, but they are mostly very technical (that only geeks and nerds need deal with). If you are an average to above-average (and certainly a below-average) computer user who will use Windows 7 in a home or home business setting, the Home Premium Edition is most likely the edition that you will want.

Users of Windows 7 Professional will be small to mid-size businesses and companies who need advanced networking features, such as Active Directory and domain log-in support, as well as network backup, an Encrypting File System (EFS), and the ability to connect to and control a remote PC via Remote Desktop.

Windows 7 Professional does have an XP Mode that Home Premium does not, which allows users to install and run applications that only work in Windows XP (primarily only business applications, usually those which require networking, require this).

There's also Windows 7 Ultimate, which adds additional security features that you will never have use for.

Basically, unless you have special networking needs, then Home Premium is all you will want or need.

I don't like stand alone GPS systems. They are FAR too difficult to input routing when a specific route is required. That is quite often a requirement on our loads.
It's actually pretty easy if you know how. It's just that it's different than using laptop software. Inputting specific routes on a laptop is pretty difficult, too, if you don't know how. But I'm not going to try and convert your mind on a standalone GPS at this time. :D

Thanks for all the input
You're welcome.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Intel Core i3-2350M Processor (2.30GHz, 3MB L3, 1333MHz)

Home premium = $679

Same system with

is $759

Much less if I go to AMD processors.

AMD Accelerated Processor A4-3300M

This is $679

I'd go with the middle one. Though AMD’s dual core A4-3300M APU supports Turbo Boost (the Intel i3 does not, the higher priced i5 does) with which its clock can rise to 2.5 GHz from nominal 1.9 GHz, the AMD is not able to compete the dual core 2.2 GHz Intel’s Sandy Bridge Core i3-2330M. The Intel is considerably faster.

Go with the Intel and the 8 GM of RAM. You can go with the Intel 6 GM and then upgrade, but you won't be able to upgrade it to 8 GB for anywhere near $80.