Help any idea? MBE 900 oil pressure

ajakapari

Expert Expediter
I took my Freightshaker M2 106 to a shop they had to replace EGR and fix some oil leaks and reseal the oil cooler on it ...
today after they did all that they called me saying they don't want to start it because the truck won't build oil pressure for some reason.. before I took it in it started oil pressure was fine.
they are saying to me they disabled the truck from starting so it doesn't damage the engine.
I asked how they figured wasn't building oil pressure they told me when they crank it gauge should move
and it didn't .. also after they seen that they opened the oil line that goes to turbo to see if oil gets there while they crank it.
so now they are telling me they have to open the OIL pan to see if oil pump and oil induction pipe are fine ..
a 4k $ JOB
any ideas or suggestions ? what might be causing this
also does the OIL GAUGE move on just crank or the truck needs to start to actually start moving?
I am confused they also changed the oil on it ..

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
90% or more trucks do not show oil pressure until they have been running for a second or two. This is caused by either the ECM not sending data right away (or doing another guage sweep) or the fact that most oil pumps simply don't actually pump well enough to suck oil out of the pan and fill all the empty oil galleries in the engine until they reach a couple hundred rpm (of oil pump speed..not engine).

I don't like to throw shops or mechanics under the bus....but based on what you have said, these guys have either screwed something up on this job and are trying to hide it...or they are just outright trying to fleece money out of you.

$4000 to drop an oil pan and look at the suction screen is ridiculous.

ajakapari

Expert Expediter
Ya thats what I said ,should I just go over there and start it? and see if the oil pressure goes up on the gauge ? they are saying that they don't want to start so it doest damage the engine.... and they need to open the OIL pan to check and see if the screen is not clogged , I don't understand how they even figured its low in the first place by just looking at the gauge when they only crank it...
The stuff they were suppose to do doesn't have anything to do with the OIL PUMP or anything in the bottom end so I am not sure how they could of screw something up...
I don't know what to do...
Thanks for your responses.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
As soon as you go over there and try to start it....anything that happens after that is on you unfortunately...thats just the way that works.

I'd be asking them why all of a sudden it has (according to them) no oil pressure or that the pickup screen is now suddenly clogged so bad you need to drop the pan to see. I'd also ask them why they need so much time to drop the pan and look. Even if thier door rate is $125/hr...$4k is 32 hours of labour....you can almost rebuild the whole engine in that time!

Either way... I'd be pressuring them to provide some answers as to why an operating engine when it drove in the door is now suddenly so fragile they are scared to try and start it.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
I would call the factory rep, and ask him what is going on, also do you have a tv station like we have in VA , 10 on your side, Just saying there name is to drive them nuts, they make 6 pm news, and people see it on the news

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
just threat of it , also said call factory rep 1st

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ok i will go there tomorrow morning and see whats going on... Thank you piper1
What Freightliner dealership are you at? Sounds like a fleecing to me.
I would also send a pm to greasytshirt. He is our resident mechanic and moderator.

ajakapari

Expert Expediter
its not a Freightliner dealership I took it to.
its Smith Power Products
they work on Mercedes Engine, Detroit and more
I was recommended this place by someone I know so I went there its a really convent location for me its right next to my Truck parking lot.
and I was not happy with the local freightliner dealer that I have been going in the past
so ya these guys are working me I know it ... I told them to open the PAN and call me so I can go see my self
if the pump and induction pipe/screen needs replacing ..
cuz I dont trust them we will see what happens today I guess .

ajakapari

Expert Expediter
Update ;
So they opened the pan found that some gasket on the induction pipe is broken and missing pieces of it ... they say hopefully it fixes it .
That's all they told me . So hopefully it works ... I still didint believe them honestly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
I wouldn't distrust them completely. I had another vehicle that would take a long time building oil pressure when there was air in the system. After that initial long time it had good pressure. Opened the pan and the screen on the pickup tube was clogged with gasket material.

So if they changed the oil it is possible the oil pump lost its prime. But 4k to drop the pan is a bit much.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Reactions: hdxpedx

ajakapari

Expert Expediter
I actually argued a bit for that price and did drop it down to $2370 + gaskets
I just hope that fixes it .

ajakapari

Expert Expediter
What is a decent price for that sort of job?
I got more arguing in me left!

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
It's sort of suspicious that they resealed the oil cooler and now there's an oil pressure problem.

Or it could be totally legit. It'd be nice if they took pictures. I always take pics of sketchy stuff, if for no other reason than covering my ass.

Sent from my XT1585 using EO Forums mobile app

Reactions: ajakapari

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
cc0d2db53c043050c86c6f50e742955f.jpg

Here's the oil pickup tube out of a maxxforce engine that had oil pressure problems.

Sent from my XT1585 using EO Forums mobile app

Reactions: ajakapari

ajakapari

Expert Expediter
It is suspicious to me aswell that I drove it with good oil pressure and after did do oil cooler and other stuff no oil pressure .
Maybe they did som Mickey Mouse stuff on it or not idk , I just want it back running next week when I get it.
Pictures or video footage would be nice to watch them work for sure . .