Help and Opinions on the Sprinter Van

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have just referred a friend to this site who REALLY wants to go van expediting, and is REALLY interested in buying a new Sprinter to do so. He asked me for my opinion about it versus a Ford or Chevy gas or diesel van, and as I’m not into the vans, I couldn’t really answer him other than a few things I have seen on this forum and a few of my own thoughts.

Are there any long term Sprinter owners here who were previous Ford/Chevy owners? His big question is will the Sprinter really save the owner more than the other vans over the period of ownership- say 300k miles all inclusive? (Fuel, repairs, downtime, etc) Are there any Sprinter owners who swear by it and would never go back to Ford/Chevy conventional gas or diesel vans?

When asking if the Sprinter was the wave of the future for vans in the USA, I said I didn’t really know either, but Ford and GM have vans very similar to the Sprinter in Europe, and have been very shy about bringing them over here. I told him the Sprinter has been on the market here for a while now, and I don’t think it’s taking the country by storm. I’m not sure what the reasons are why it isn’t, but thought I would ask van owners why not?

This is just me, but throughout my car and truck buying ownership and experiences, I have not been impressed with the quality of Chrysler or Daimler Chrysler products, including my Freightliner trucks. I’ve just felt that they have been more interested in pumping them off the line in as great of quantities as possible than putting that little bit more into them to make their cars and trucks a really decent quality product. Is it the personal vehicle ownership experiences that might be shying potential Sprinter owners away from buying one? That is the one factor that has my friend asking the questions right now and holding off the purchase. Any input on this from a solid standpoint? Or is it just a what day of the week was it made gamble?

Thanks for any replies here, I hate being put on the spot:eek:
-Weave-

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
I know there have been a lot of problems with the new Ford Powerstroke diesel and service and parts seem to be more expensive at Ford . Sprinter seems to have its bugs too . The Chevy Duramax seems to be the best bet . Chrysler should have made a van with the Cummins engine . ( The Jeep Liberty is now available with a new 4 cyl. diesel .)

Tom Robertson

Veteran Expediter
Weave...
I posted this on another Sprinter thread...the Sprinters I have in service are about 1 year old and have close to 150K. Two minor problems...each taking longer than it should have to repair. In my opinion the additional revenue and interior space available, coupled with the much better fuel economy leave the other vans well behind.
here's a copy of the post...

I have Sprinters in service with my company...
advantages over a one ton van are
1. better fuel economy Sprinters average 22-26 mpg...factors affecting this are weight, speed driven, and wind (high profile catches more wind) average E-350 Ford 18 mpg
2. LWB models are 166" in length considerably longer than the extended vans... thus allowing 3 standard size skids to be loaded with room to spare
3. interior height is 72" allowing the majority of us to stand upright in the van
4. if converted correctly... alomost 14 feet of livable space when unloaded
5. because of the abiality to handle 3 skids... more loads are available at slightly higher rates
6. cost difference new to E-350 will be made up within the first year of ownership
7. Mercedes-Benz - nothing more needs to be said
disadvantages...
1. most Dodge dealerships have no idea how to service and do not stock many parts... including air and oil filters
2. when parts are needed they usually take 2-3 days and no one can tell you when or if they are coming
3. some older models have had EGR valve problems... the above mentioned problems will apply
4. more difficult to heat/cool the interior using only the standard heating air conditioning system...

Will I buy additional Ford E-350's or a like van by GM... NO

Would I buy additional Sprinters... YES

We have had two service related problems, both taking about a week to resolve... (stay away from FYDA in Youngstown...incompetent on this vehicle and disinterested management)... even with the down time the Sprinters earned about 20 more revenue that the Ford E-350s.

I am presently working with another individual on this site to alter our present conversion to make it even more effective. If we are able to make the conversion work, we will invest in additional Sprinters.

I cannot help with the question regarding what carriers sign on these vehicles...because I don't know.

Tony

Expert Expediter
At this time (info from GM) the Duramax is not offered in the vans. If anyone has better info please post, expanding (maybe) and need more options. Not comfortable with Sprinter or anything to do with Chrysler, Freightliner included(dealer service s***s). That leaves Ford,and a 1990 model is not an option(last reliable Ford diesel, JUST MY OPINION). I can't add anything regarding gas engines, oh h*** I can't really add anything except my own misguided attempts at help.

Marty

Veteran Expediter
I had my Sprinter for 162,00 miles. Replaced 5 egr valves,6 injectors, and had numerous other problems.
Out of about 15 Sprinters that haave been leased on to the same company as I there have been 3 Sprinters with blown engines. Replacement costs were aroun $12,000. There was one Sprinter with a blown transmission. The replacement cost was $8,000.
Parts availabity is dismal, to say the least.
The Sprinter is a great van if you don't have problems with it or if you never need parts, but if you do you will soon learn the true meaning of the word nightmare.

pellgrn

Expert Expediter
I think the fords called the Hinos or something like that,they have a 4 or 5 cyl diesel that might be a Volvo i can't recall.There's a old post we had with some dicussion and a link to there web site so you can look at them.

Twmaster

Expert Expediter
Ford's current Diesel is still made by Navistar (International) Hino is Made by Toyota.

--
Mike N

Faster than a speeding poulet.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Thanks for all the help. He decided he is going to purchase a Sprinter, a 2500 extended version, mainly because he just likes it. Our local Freightliner dealer here in Buffalo, FMI, has been giving fairly decent service on these vans, so I hope that won't be a big issue later on. He is installing his own bulkhead and a little sleeper, and installing a Webasto heater. That should limit idling only to hot summer days, and hopefully cut back on EGR problems. I encouraged him by saying that with good maintenance it shouldn't be any more troublesome than any other vans, as long as it wasn't made on Monday or Friday ;)
-Weave-

Sprinting

Expert Expediter
I think the warranty offered on all the above mentioned vehicles, speaks volumes. If the other vans compared, they too could offer a 7 year, 100,000 mile warranty. I put alot of miles on a Chevy express, could have purchased a Ford with A plan, but when I did my homework I drove home in a Sprinter. No regrets.

pellgrn

Expert Expediter
Twmaster,I may have the name wrong cause Toyota isn't involved,and International to my knowledge doesn't have a 4 or 5 cyl.If i knew how to reseach and repost the thread i would,it was very interesting along with pics and stats.They look alot like sprinters and there in use in Europe cause that thread has to be a year old or so.If for sold them over hear you'd be better off with the Sprinter cause getting parts and service would be very difficult.Oh and there's not way it's the 6.0 International engine.

larrybadger

Expert Expediter
>Is that seven year bumper to bumper? or drivrtrain only.

If you're asking about the Sprinter:
<from http://www.dodge.com/owners/index.html then linked to 2004 Sprinter Cargo Van>
I could not find the specific warranty for the 2005 model.

Basic Limited Warranty Coverage 3 yr/36,000 miles.
Powertrain 7 yr/70,000 miles if you are first owner, or second owner with paid ($150) Powertrain Transfer, with $100 deductible.
Diesel engine components 7 yr/100,000 miles, 1st owner or 2nd owner with paid Powertrain Transfer. Otherwise 5 year/100,000 miles. ($100 deductible after 5 years).

pellgrn

Expert Expediter
NO that's not the link,i was just confirming what i already knew about the warranty,it's nothing special.Ford has a van overseas that is alot like the sprinter,it will be interesting to see if it makes it over in the next couple years.

larrybadger

Expert Expediter
< NO that's not the link,i was just confirming what i already
knew about the warranty,it's nothing special. >

Oh, okay, understood. I guess when I read your reply...

< Is that seven year bumper to bumper? or drivrtrain only. >

I thought it to be a sincere question, not a rhetorical one. I guess I have difficulty discerning between the two sometimes.

As far as the link, it does take you to the Dodge Sprinter site, then you must find the tab in the middle of the page that reads VEHICLE CARE CENTER, click on WARRANTY INFORMATION, it should then pop up a page that reads WARRANTY COVERAGE, click on the drop down box labeled “year” and click 2004, then go to the “vehicle” drop down box and look for “Sprinter Cargo Van” and it will take you directly to the page that reads WARRANTY COVERAGE AT A GLANCE. I can’t understand why it didn’t work for you, but it’s there should anyone want to peruse it for the information directly from Dodge. Is someone wants the full nitty-gritty warranty, you just click on the heading “SUBMIT REQUEST” under the “VEHICLE” drop down box and it will take you to the full warranty page. OR…you can go there directly at: http://www.dodge.com/crossbrand/warranty/pdf/SPRINTER04.pdf .

Larry Badger

pellgrn

Expert Expediter
It didn't work cause i didn't go there.The link i was talking about has nothing to do with a Dodge/freightliner Sprinter.I thought Dodge my have went bumper to bumper for 100,000 miles,which would be about a year in the expediter world.It's good info you put up there,i don't have a use for,however i'm sure someone had a use for it so in that context it's good info.