Hello to Everyone

Semperfi3069

Seasoned Expediter
Hello everyone this is our first post to EO forum. We have been interested in Expediting for a few years now and this may just be our year with our son graduating and heading to serve our country in the Air Force. We will be at the Expo next week (thanks to Bob and Linda for the advise) and look forward to it. Seeking a mid life career change sends many emotions and I know we are headed in the right direction. It is only the first step of many and we look forward to the journey.

Dexter & Heather Allen

"Success is not based on that which one has, but upon that which one has overcome"

dad4evr1

Seasoned Expediter
Welcome fellow Marine and Semper Fi to you as well, speaking only for myself, this is one great mid-life or semi-retired career. My retirement account was hit hard in the '08 crash...it has since made a recovery but I have to say, I love this work and consider it a paid vacation of sorts. Even though my account rebounded and gained, there's no way I stop doing this until it actually feels like a job and I'm not even close yet. :^ )

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Welcome aboard, any idea on what you will be driving or who you will be driving for?

Semperfi3069

Seasoned Expediter
Welcome fellow Marine and Semper Fi to you as well, speaking only for myself, this is one great mid-life or semi-retired career. My retirement account was hit hard in the '08 crash...it has since made a recovery but I have to say, I love this work and consider it a paid vacation of sorts. Even though my account rebounded and gained, there's no way I stop doing this until it actually feels like a job and I'm not even close yet. :^ )

Thank you for the welcome and positive words. Look forward to future conversations. Will you be at the Expo ?

Semperfi3069

Seasoned Expediter
We will be driving a straight truck. We hope to drive for FedEx. I know the Expo will really give us a hugh amount of knowledge and look forward to it.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
We will be driving a straight truck. We hope to drive for FedEx. I know the Expo will really give us a hugh amount of knowledge and look forward to it.

Is there a reason you picked FedEx? Do you just prefer the big company idea?

Semperfi3069

Seasoned Expediter
We are learning and listening with open ears and a open mind. FedEx does seem like a secure company to be a part of. But we do look foward to learning of other opportunities while at the Expo as well.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
We are learning and listening with open ears and a open mind. FedEx does seem like a secure company to be a part of. But we do look foward to learning of other opportunities while at the Expo as well.

If you look through some of the posts you will see FedEx has come up a few times as of late. In my experience driving for smaller companies has been more enjoyable and less stressful as long as they are not so small you are not moving.

jimby82

Veteran Expediter
The "problem" we ran into when looking for prospective carriers, was our lack of recent (w/i last 2 years) driving experience. We really only had two choices, FedEx and Panther (seems to be an insurance requirement). Everyone else wanted at least 6 months recent over-the-road experience. FedEx also requires the 6 months experience, or you can pass a skills evaluation test (which is what we did.)

We chose FedEx, having spoken to several current drivers here and in person. Just seemed to be the best fit for us. Nothing at all against Panther.

Oh, Semperfi3069, sent you a PM.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Hope to meet you and everyone at the expo, I am kind of easy to pick out of a crowd, I am fat and have a flame tattoo with an American flag design in it on my right forearm, you can see some of it in my avatar picture.