Hello Ladies

1stariel

Seasoned Expediter
Would love to hear some advice regarding taking the Road Test for B license...I am almost ready to take the plunge. Been riding with hubby for almost 4 years now off and on, the past 2 1/2 being in Expedite. Never really wanted to drive, but Im convinced we will do much better financially. Have my permit, now just need to take the Road Test, which I'm nervous about.:eek: Any "pointers" would be certainly appreciated! I will be making my appointment with the DMV in Georgia next week and have a truck lined up to rent for practice.

gotta go

Veteran Expediter
Welcome Ariel, I'll pass on the advice that was given to me. At every opportunity practice your pre-trip, OUT LOUD. Don't be embarrassed. You'll do better if you portray confidence. Remember to turn the key on when doing your airbrake test. :eek: I don't need to tell you where that suggestion came from.
Good luck, let us know how you do.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Jeanie is correct. Out loud, with confidence and in the exact same order every time. The pre-trip for me was the hardest, only because I was afraid of missing something. It was easier to remember each item when it's done in the same order. Good Luck!!

Freckles

Seasoned Expediter
Hi Ariel and everyone else here at EO. I've been lurker here for sometime, just reading, learning and storing away useful information. You guys have a great community here! Ariel has touched on a topic that gives me an opportunity to contribute. I've been a trainer/driver developer for FedEx Express for some 15 years and have guided many folks through their CDL tests in the states of MA and RI.

Ariel, what gotta go says is dead on the money. When you are doing your pretrip you want to exhibit confidence. I tell my folks to walk, talk and touch the things that you are inspecting. This shows the inspector that you know what you are doing. If you come to something that you forgot the proper name of, just keep going. You can always come back to it. Don't look to the inspector for answers. He won't have any for you.

While I'm not familiar with testing procedures in GA this is the way it usually goes. Paperwork examination, Pretrip, Brake test, Skills Test and if you get past all of that, the Road Test.

It's the little things that will do you in, so be mindful of the details. Ensure that all of your paperwork is in order and that you have everything that GA requires. This includes the trucks paperwork, your own paperwork and your sponsor's paperwork. This should be listed in the GA CDL manual.

First thing you do is put both wheel chocks down. One in front of the left rear drive tire and one behind it. Yes, two wheel chocks are required. I've seen many a prospective CDL holder get sent home because they had no chocks, one chock or simply just forgot to put them down.

Remember to pick up the chocks prior to doing a Rolling Brake Test. If the Brake Test is done before the Pretrip make sure you put them back down again and then remember to pick them up again before going into the Skills Test. Each time you exit the vehicle remove the key from the ignition. Whenever you are in the driver's seat put your seat belt on and if the inspector is in the passenger seat ensure that he/she has theirs on. If they don't, ask them to put it on.

Each state has to meet certain standards for testing to satisfy FMSCA requirements, but they all have their little idiosyncrasies. It will be in your best interest to find out what these are as they pertain to GA before you go. Examples are in how retesting is done. In MA if you knock over a cone, the test is over and you have failed. In RI if you knock over a cone, points are deducted from your score. You can continue until you either pass or exhaust your point allocation. In MA all testing is facilitated by the State Police but RI all testing is done by CCRI (Community College of Rhode Island) who hires retired drivers to carry out the testing. They do a great job down there.

Try to find out ahead of time what the retesting procedures are. They differ from state to state. In MA you either pickup where you left off or just do the maneuver you failed. In RI you start from scratch. If you have to go for a retest don't be discouraged. Many people don't pass the first time out. Look at it as a learning experience. You'll do much better the second time around.

Lastly, take your time and try not to get rattled. If you find yourself getting rattled STOP, take a breath, think things through and try again. Try not to think of it as a test, but just another practice session. ;)

I wish you the best of luck.

Craig

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Great help, Freckles!
Ariel: as Jeanie said, just keep doing it every chance you get, [even in your head, when you are nowhere near the truck], until it's automatic.
And relax - it's not that bad, really - no worse than a root canal, lol. ;)

NightDriver

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Great advice, everyone. ;) Ariel, I thought you might like to read my blog entry about my road test:

Proper Expediting: Road Test

It was uneventful and went well, but I sure was glad when it was over. Don't worry - I think we're all nervous on road test day. Just do your best!

Stanger1379

Seasoned Expediter
Hi Ariel, looks like Niagara Falls in the background. That is where I live, and I too am going to be driving expediting with my husband in the very near future, and all this info is great.
Thanks EO.

JennaTillich

Not a Member
Are the extra expenses and regulations of a straight truck worth it? I am making darn good money in my sprinter. Could I expect to make much more in a bigger truck? I average 965 a week so far after expenses.