Hello from Maryland

armored777

Active Expediter
I'm thinking about becoming an owner operator. Currently I work for an armored truck company making $11/hr. (no pay increase -- just dedicated route and 2 trucks of which I'm the only driver for the larger one) I was promoted from a day route to a shuttle at night. The biggest truck I drive there is a 37 foot long tandem with a tag axle (coin truck)

Needless to say, I'm getting sick of working for anyone else and have nothing to show for it. Heck, I can't even afford my own place.

I went to a freightliner dealer & I'm thinking about a sprinter versus going big like a straight truck with a sleeper. I have a CDL AMTX. I would like to avoid a tractor trailer because its been forever since I've driven one & people make perfectly good money with straight trucks.

I'm leaning more towards a sprinter. Is the 3500 with a high roof, extended 170" wheel base a good choice with duals in the rear? What about the one with the longer body as well?

Who does insurance for sprinters? How much is it? Is it better to go with Fedex or Panther or just with no company and chase loads? What is the best way to chase loads?

Is there a good book or two which REALLY goes into detail on the numbers side of the business. :D

Driving and routine mechanical maintenance isn't a problem, just the business side of things I don't know about. :confused:

Last edited:

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
If you read back a few years, most of the info you need is right here and a few here may give you real numbers in Private Messages
The pay must depend on the area, because I worked on an armored car and made much more than $11

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
CIS advertises right here and can give you an idea how much insurance will be...it ain't cheap!!! I was paying over 500 a month for a straight truck

The Enemy

Veteran Expediter
Dakota, I'm only paying $80 a month on my sprinter with a $20K declared value. Newer Sprinters will cost more to insure.

As far as a 3500 goes its only 38 inches between the rear wheel wells, so it won't fit a skid. What most people do is build a platform to the top of the wheel wells that way you can get a skid past the wells. That's why most of the sprinters out here are the 2500's.

Check the truck forum, there is a "sticky" on a thread with a wealth of info about Sprinters.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Dakota, I'm only paying $80 a month on my sprinter with a $20K declared value. Newer Sprinters will cost more to insure.

Straight trucks might be totally different, I was paying for trucking, non trucking, liability and cargo insurance at the 250K to 500K level I think(whatever was required by Ceva) with a 75K declared value