Hello from Kentucky!

marwatson

New Recruit
Researching
I've been stalking this forum for a few weeks now. I really appreciate being able to have this resource to learn more about the trucking side of the supply chain. I also wanted to say THANK YOU to the people that contribute in this forum because some of the advice and insight I have seen here has saved me a lot of time, money, and heartache...thank you, thank you, thank you!

I'm trying to find my place in the supply chain. I've been mostly doing shipping and receiving in recent years and really do love it...but the wear and tear on my body from years of hard labor has really been presenting itself lately. Tennis elbow, wonky shoulder, bone spurs on feet, and varicose veins in my legs that throb. I guess I'm finally at an age where I need to think about where I'm going and what I'm doing. Trying to figure out what my end game is.

My husband and I thought we had it all figured out last week. My interest in freight brokering gave us the idea to get a cargo van and start a regional courier service. I would find loads and he would just drive. Diving deep in forums and research, it seems too risky of a venture when thinking of risk vs reward. He decided to stick to his plans to getting his journeyman license as an electrician, which is probably for the best.

I really have my heart set on being a freight broker or dispatcher of some kind though. I keep trying to talk myself out of it but haven't been able to let it go. I think I would be really good at it and would love to provide a valuable service to truckers that need it. I see the conflicts of interest being a real issue and I'm disappointed to hear so many stories about dishonest or ineffective brokers. I'm also having zero luck getting hired on at a firm to work as an agent without experience. Trying to go the DIY route and find my own training but everything seems like a scam. I've bought several books on Amazon and they have all been garbage. I'm confident I'll find a way to do it one day, but it's all up in the air right now. Any advice or quality reading recommendations is greatly appreciated! I'm also wondering if there is a market for virtual assistance for truckers. Probably not...just wanting to find a way to work with truckers in a way that I'm adding value instead of siphoning money.

Anyhoo, that's me. Nice to meet ya'll!