Heater broke...

Perioodic

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Alright so I have a knock off brand heater

Online Shop Air Parking Heater 5KW 12V diesel for car camper caravan ship truck bus etc similar to webasto heater ( not webasto ) | Aliexpress Mobile

That one to be exact, and it randomly stopped working. It turns on for maybe 20-30 seconds and then shuts off again error code (1E 31). Sometimes it'll stay on but blow cold air and it gives me an error code on the thermostat (1E 90) and it'll shut off when I try to go back and turn the temperature up or down and it'll give me another error code (1E 80). I noticed on the thermostat one of the wires was pulled out of the fuse( at least I think it's the fuse) here's a picture.
24f05a99abac3818fca7bcc41f2e0411.jpg

The black "fuse box" is what powers the heater and the grey wire was hanging out of it when I noticed it wasn't working. I plugged it back in after a few attempts and tried it again and still nothing. I can hear the fuel pump turning on when I turn the heater on so I'm sure the fuel pump works. I'll have to wait until I'm at home to test it to be 100% sure. I've already ordered a new thermostat and I hope that solves it. Anybody else know what the problem might be?

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm the last person who should to try to answer this :rolleyes:
But, if it isn't the pulled out wire, I had a similar thing happen.
My Espar set up is two Auxiliary batteries connected to start battery with an isolator.
Somewhere on mine before the wires connect to the starter battery, is a 30amp fuse that blew causing the same situation. Fuse replaced, problem solved. Just something else to check for.

Last edited:

Perioodic

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm that last person to try to answer this :rolleyes:
But, if it isn't the pulled out wire, I had a similar thing happen.
My Espar set up is two Auxiliary batteries connected to start battery with an isolator.
Somewhere on mine before the wires connect to the starter battery, is a 30amp fuse that blew causing the same situation. Fuse replaced, problem solved. Just something else to check for.

Yeah good idea. I'll see if I can find one. Thanks.

Here's a better picture of the wires

8a01c81ee64f3ea2e4e5b924f51a50e8.jpg

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My espar will not start whenever certain trouble codes are logged (like overheat) until the computer is reset. Maybe they copied the safety features too? Try removing power for a while then restarting, or seeing if there is a reset button...

Edit: supposedly there is a reset button near the exhaust on some espars....heres some reading material Resetting a Locked Espar Heater - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

Last edited:

Perioodic

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just checked the fuse, not it. I'll try to see if there is a reset button, if not I'll just disconnect it for a few hours while I drive.

Perioodic

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My espar will not start whenever certain trouble codes are logged (like overheat) until the computer is reset. Maybe they copied the safety features too? Try removing power for a while then restarting, or seeing if there is a reset button...

Edit: supposedly there is a reset button near the exhaust on some espars....heres some reading material Resetting a Locked Espar Heater - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

I removed power from it and I'll be trying to power it up in a few hours when I stop to grab some food. The thread you linked pretty much says glow plug and I should invest in a new heater . Thanks for the help.

Reactions: brokcanadian

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Also Roadtime, you said you had a similar problem? What was your espar doing?

Exactly what you said yours is doing. I don't know what the codes where. I Still have the 30amp fuse they said was blow. Personally, I can't see where it's blown :rolleyes:

Reactions: Larry Scott

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hopefully the power off will do it...mine is tied into the sprinter's computer and requires a MB scanner tool for reset

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What's the brand name of the heater, did you try googling error codes for it?

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Here's a sample page of a lockout reset from a Webasto manual. I'm not telling you it will work, I'm saying you need the manual for that unit (maybe ask them where you bought it from). It does say you need to correct the problem before resetting. One lockout mode occurs when power is removed from the control unit (you mentioned that wire)
Screenshot_20161115-015906.png

Perioodic

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What's the brand name of the heater, did you try googling error codes for it?
It's a Chinese brand AKA no name, luckily I still have the invoice so I spoke with the manufacturer and he said the 1E30 code means low voltage, still waiting to here about the other error code.

Here's a sample page of a lockout reset from a Webasto manual. I'm not telling you it will work, I'm saying you need the manual for that unit (maybe ask them where you bought it from). It does say you need to correct the problem before resetting. One lockout mode occurs when power is removed from the control unit (you mentioned that wire)
View attachment 14931

Perfect, I'll try this after I get a another battery. I have a manual but it's not much help because it doesn't show error codes in it, or many trouble shooting options.

Perioodic

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Okay so 1E90 means "Glow plug broken circuit" so that would mean the loose wire is the problem, or should be the problem.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
I can only speak for my espar, but there is a wire in one of the connectors that you can have connected, or not depending if you want to use the temp sensor in the thermostat or the temp sensor in the heater itself.

So that wire if it is disconnected is not a problem, it is designed to be that way.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Reactions: Perioodic

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Okay so 1E90 means "Glow plug broken circuit" so that would mean the loose wire is the problem, or should be the problem.

That sounds like the problem, that mole X style plug is easy to repair, strip the wire back if you can get the terminal out and reinstall it, other than that you might be able to solder it, if your so inclined splice a small wire and connect to the same color one on the other side, it just wouldn't be as easy to remover the harness in the future when moving the unit into another truck.

Sent from my iPad using EO Forums

Perioodic

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That sounds like the problem, that mole X style plug is easy to repair, strip the wire back if you can get the terminal out and reinstall it, other than that you might be able to solder it, if your so inclined splice a small wire and connect to the same color one on the other side, it just wouldn't be as easy to remover the harness in the future when moving the unit into another truck.

Sent from my iPad using EO Forums

Will try and do this. If anything I'll just get another glow plug.