Headlight bulb replacement ?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Has anyone in here ever dealt with the company linked below? If so, were they could? How did the lamps hold up.

I am looking at the 9005/6SX in either the Super Bright in 5500-6000K, OR, the Diamond Blue Night vision.

I am OUT of replacements, used the last 9006SX today. I need to stock up. I can almost never the the "SX" models, the straight base, out here on the road. The one time that I did I paid $20 for ONE bulb.

http://autolumination.com/headlights.htm

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I've never dealt with them. Their Web page sure is an eyeful. If their light bulbs don't blind you, their Web page certainly will. Holy crap.

Looking at the Web site, where the contact e-mail address is, the "contact us" address is a post office box, then a quick whois (for the actual registrant's address) and Google Maps query, I get the impression that this is a drop-ship business run by a 17 year old out of his parent's basement in suburban Phoenix.

Then there's this,
and this,
and this.

My advice: look elsewhere.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Apparently, those bulbs are hard for anyone anywhere to find locally. Looks like Advance Auto Parts may carry them, but it's hard for me to tell. Even looking on Amazon I couldn't find much in the way of "SX" bulbs.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Apparently, those bulbs are hard for anyone anywhere to find locally. Looks like Advance Auto Parts may carry them, but it's hard for me to tell. Even looking on Amazon I couldn't find much in the way of "SX" bulbs.

I used to buy them from Amazon. They no longer seem to have them. Having a hard time finding them I have tow of the high beam 9005SX left, none of the 9006SX. I want to buy 2 more high and 4 low. I like having a few on hand.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Be wary of many of these colored light bulbs, especially the blue ones. Many are not D.O.T. compliant. While a four wheeler may get away with bright blue lights, a truck at a scale house might not be as lucky.

On a side note; have you been through the truck museum next door to the I-80 truck stop? I have stopped twice; once was before hours and I got a load so couldn't hang around and the last time I was under a load, had time to stop, but it was after hours.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Be wary of many of these colored light bulbs, especially the blue ones. Many are not D.O.T. compliant. While a four wheeler may get away with bright blue lights, a truck at a scale house might not be as lucky.

On a side note; have you been through the truck museum next door to the I-80 truck stop? I have stopped twice; once was before hours and I got a load so couldn't hang around and the last time I was under a load, had time to stop, but it was after hours.

No, I have never been there long enough to stop in and see it.

I am not looking for the 'colored' lights. I would love to find the plain old 9006SX and 9005SX bulbs. Having a tough time of it.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am not looking for the 'colored' lights. I would love to find the plain old 9006SX and 9005SX bulbs. Having a tough time of it.

I am looking at the 9005/6SX in either the Super Bright in 5500-6000K, OR, the Diamond Blue Night vision.
Sorry I blew it. I took "Blue" in Diamond Blue to mean the color blue. Of course when dealing with real diamonds, color is less desirable.

Have you tried J.C. Whitney? They have a large selection of lighting and usually state if the light is D.O.T. compliant. My wife had a 1999 Jeep, which my son now has and I hope to get back in the near future, with the straight rather than 90º 9006/9005 lamps. I replaced them once with lamps from J.C. Whitney because they were unavailable at local auto parts stores.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Sorry I blew it. I took "Blue" in Diamond Blue to mean the color blue. Of course when dealing with real diamonds, color is less desirable.

Have you tried J.C. Whitney? They have a large selection of lighting and usually state if the light is D.O.T. compliant. My wife had a 1999 Jeep, which my son now has and I hope to get back in the near future, with the straight rather than 90º 9006/9005 lamps. I replaced them once with lamps from J.C. Whitney because they were unavailable at local auto parts stores.

I looked there but I did not look right. They have that 'find a bulb' thing and don't list Freightliner. I did not look for a 1999 jeep. I will try that.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Look for the SX if that is the straight rather than 90º 9005/9006 lamp.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Look for the SX if that is the straight rather than 90º 9005/9006 lamp.

Yeah, I knew what I needed but was having TON of trouble finding it.

I found them on "DirveWire" got them ordered. When they come I will have 4 of each on board the truck. That should last me for a bit. I only have 2 HIGH beams left right now. Oreder 3 high and 4 low. SAE and DOT compliant etc.

Hope I don't have a low beam go out before I get them .

Thanks for the input

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Are those factory lights? Those are some tough to find bulbs. I think I'd be looking into a complete overhaul of the lighting system that uses bulbs which are a little more common.

Incidentally, I'm still on my original, factory installed high beams. I've had a replacement set with me ever since I bought the van, but so far have never needed them. A year and a half ago I replaced the right headlight assembly, which comes with all new bulbs, so that gave me a third high beam bulb. Sitting at the house is a new left headlight assembly, so I'll have a 4th one. Yay.

I replace the low beams pretty often, because I use those Silvertar Ultras. Very bright, but short-lived.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Napa, Advanced Auto, Amazon and the Freightliner dealer all seem to have those. I would consider buying 9006 and "fixing" the problem for the straight socket bulb as I had to do on one of the trucks.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Many place claim to have the "sx" model but it seems that they 'sold out' when you get there. I may have to find a way to 'modify' the lights.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Call napa and ask them about ordering them. With a million vehicles that use them, I don't think you should have a lot of problems ordering them.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I already ordered them. From a place called 'DriveWire'. When they arrive I will have 4 low and 4 high beams in reserve. That is assuming that none go out prior to my getting them. Both low beams have to hold up for about 3 weeks, when I get home next. I don't like being without spares. This one went out about 6 miles down the road AFTER I did my PTI. What a pain. It was raining as well. Back roads. I drove the remaining 12 miles to my pick up and replaced it there, where there was no traffic etc.

I doubt that I will ever need to order high beams again. I will reorder the low beams when I get down to 2 in reserve. Then maybe I can avoid this problem.

I have only ever found ONE low beam on the road, at a TA. It was OLD. Package was torn and dusty and the charged me $22 for that ONE bulb. I was trapped, I needed it, so I paid the price. Better than the DOT jumping on me.