Heading out into Expediting the 13th. Any advice?

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Heading into the wild blue yonder the 13th. Any bits of wisdom for a single driver with a quad axle, 30 foot straight truck. Where to go/not to. etc?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
OVM, that's not like you... Maybe impart some great van knowledge for the poor sole who is lost without a clue ... like not to take the parkways in NYC or beware of the drivethough at McDonalds.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
OVM, that's not like you... Maybe impart some great van knowledge for the poor sole who is lost without a clue ... like not to take the parkways in NYC or beware of the drivethough at McDonalds.
great advice? yeah right...best advice is he should stay in the Keys....:D

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
Head strait to Michigan. Any other state will be real skeptical about all those axles. Why do you think we have such crummy roads? Oh, and at least 20' of that 30' should be a sleeper with a sauna and a hot tub.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Col.what did you do ,buy a dump bucket?I just can't see why anyone other than someone doing onstruction work would need a 4 axle straight truck

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Col.what did you do ,buy a dump bucket?I just can't see why anyone other than someone doing onstruction work would need a 4 axle straight truck

Nah! No dumpers for me. With 18 spots on the floor and with some dense freight it can weigh up a bit. The extra two doughnuts up front allow me to carry up to 35,000 without getting involved with heavy use tax, CDLA, or having to drive one of them things that hinge in the middle and are way too long.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Nah! No dumpers for me. With 18 spots on the floor and with some dense freight it can weigh up a bit. The extra two doughnuts up front allow me to carry up to 35,000 without getting involved with heavy use tax, CDLA, or having to drive one of them things that hinge in the middle and are way too long.

Have you a photo to share? Dakata's hot tub comment got me to thinking.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
believe the heavy tax is based on gross weight.your quad axle straight truck and 35000 lbs of freight going put you over the 55000 weight limit ,your still going pay heavy tax

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
believe the heavy tax is based on gross weight.your quad axle straight truck and 35000 lbs of freight going put you over the 55000 weight limit ,your still going pay heavy tax

Believe I typed "allows me to", I like to stop at 54,000lbs.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
U just gonna go knock on doors somewhere and say give me freight or do u have ur own authority to find loads??:D

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Advice? If broken down in the winter don't melt yellow snow to get drinking water.