hazmat question

spiderwebbj

Expert Expediter
I was wondering if i need a cdl-c with hazmat for a cargo van? I was wondering because i was told that it is illegal to transport hazmat in a van or anything where the cargo and passenger compartments are connected? If it is illegal why does most companys require cdl-c with hazmat and not just a chouffers licence?

Wild Bill

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
I am not an expert of this. Far from it. But I think you do need one for a cargo van. The only hazmat I don't think you can carry is cargo that would effect your breathing.

I might be wrong about this (and usually am..lol :+ )

spiderwebbj

Expert Expediter
thanks for the answer even if your not sure. I've been calling companys for info and most wouldn't even talk to me without a cdl but the few that did i got 2 differant answers and so i'm all confused. If any other newbies wanna talk to a company for info the nicest one i talked to was bonnie at Try Hours, she was very helpful.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Let me see if this clarifies anything. Most companies, but not all, want you to have the ability to haul reportable quantities of hazmat as freight, and that cannot be done without a CDL (A, B or C) with a hazmat endorcement. Hazmat can, however, be moved in any vehicle if it is less than the book listed RQ (reportable quantity) for the substance in question. Examples of this can be small amounts of dry ice (carbon dioxide), personal cigarette lighters (butane), a breathing oxygen cylinder or a propane torch cylinder, etc.
The company I run with, C&M, does not run hazmat, and I don't miss it after FedEx. Those loads always gave me DOT nerve jitters.
-Weave-

dog

Expert Expediter
Response to your question on hazardous materials in motor vehicle. There is no definition other than motor vehicle engaged in transportation of hazardous by a motor carrier, has to be marked or placarded in accordance to regulations for hazardous materials put forth by Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations. The restrictions come down to the class of Hazardous Material involved and the type of containers used, and specific regulations of requirements put on the operator of the motor vehicle used. There are certain classes of hazardous materials that a cargo van is unable to carry due to type of container required. You may look up rule #397 FDOT Safety Regulations. State and Local governments have past general rules or regulations in regards to hazardous materials more stringent than the federal ones, but they more concern with your route of travel thru their juristictions. There is a general rule pertaining to cargo vans that states: Every cargo-carrying motor vehicle must be equipped with a headerboard or similar device of sufficient strength to prevent load shifting and penetration or crushing of the driver's compartment. It details the location, height and width, strength, penetration resistance, of the material use for the device. Penetration resistance must be capable of resisting penetration by any item of cargo that contacts it when the vehicle decelerates at a rate of 20 feet per second. The device must have no aperture large enough to permit any item of cargo in contact with the device to pass through it.
I do believe the latter rule is the one that is being confused into the hazardous material regulations, but in reality pertains to all cargo transported commercially in a cargo or other type of van fitting the definition.
Hope this helps answer your question, yes I do haul hazardous material in a cargo van, and have the hazardous material endorsement, it just requires an additional written test.
Best of luck to you.

spiderwebbj

Expert Expediter
thanks alot you guys i really appreciate it and i'm really liking this website and business alot and i'm really thinking about doing this for a living, thanks to all the help i've gotten on here mostly.