Hazmat GPS w/multiple routes

Phoenix4774

Seasoned Expediter
I see several models that have Hazmat routing, I'd like one that can do multiple stops, just wondering if anyone has any recommendations on this, thanks.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Both of the Rand McNally's 500 and 700 do exactly what you are asking for....with bigger screens then most offer...I will say the 7" is just a bit too big for my taste, its like having a 2nd laptop mounted on the windshield....but the 5" is really nice...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
If you want the best truck-specific features, and HAZMAT routing, the Rand McNally is the best of the bunch. It has a lot of shortcomings, though. No GPS unit is perfect. They all have their shortcomings. Like the Garmin and Tom Tom has better routing in general, but their truck-specific features fall short. The PC Miler has some nifty truck-specific features, but it's the least accurate for mapping, routing and POIs. If you need truck-specific features and HAZMAT, then the Rand McNally, even with it's shortcoming, would be the way to go. If you would rather have more accurate routing, then the Garmin would be best (tho, some model other than the 465T, cause it sucks), if you can live without the truck features and HAZMAT.

Just stick with a brand name that does mapping and routing as their primary thing. Just because Cobra does CB radios well doesn't mean they can do GPS well (hint, they don't).

Phoenix4774

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks for your opinion Turtle, the job I'm considering involves up to 6 hazmat stops a night, so I think the PC Miller's multiple route optimization is a nice plus. By the way, it seems to be offered in a lap top platform like Streets & Trips as well:

PC*MILER|HazMat: ALK Technologies

I'm gonna call them tomorrow to find out about it.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yes, PC Miler can be run on a laptop of a desktop. It will, absolutely, do what you want.

But it is not a standalone GPS unit if that's what you're after.

Also, it is not the same, not even remotely close, to the PC Miler standalone GPS unit, even though it carries the same name, so DO NOT confuse the two.

Also, also, be sitting down when you ask them the price of the software, and you should probably go to the restroom just before you make the call. :D

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Just keep in mind that the PC Miler GPS unit is not PC Miler. If you'd asked for the price of the software when you called, then compared that to the price of the standalone unit, you'd immediately see that there is no way that ALK is going to take a $2500 software package with a $1000 add-on and cram it into a standalone hardware solution and then sell it for $400 or less. :D

Phoenix4774

Seasoned Expediter
I talked with a Rand McNally rep and she said the Intelliroute can optimize multiple point Hazmat routes, so I think I'll go with it—I like its interface and it has free updates that are mac compatible.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I'm a Garmin guy for several reasons, not the least of which is that's the interface I'm used to and like, but also because I know it's the most accurate as far as mapping and routing goes. I'm also in a van and don't need most of the truck specific features, and my carrier won't put HAZMAT on a van, so I don't even need that, anymore. But if I did, I'd go with the Rand McNally despite being a Garmin guy (because the Garmin version of a truck GPS is not that good).

I also have the software PC Miler on the laptop, which I use a lot, too. I also use Google Maps, both on the Web and the Google Navigator on the phone, plus Streets & Trips, you name it, I use all the tools necessary. Most people do the same thing. Don't rely on a single mapping or routing program too heavily. I've got a load that delivers in the morning, for example, that only Google Navigator on the Droid or Google Maps on the Web can locate. I can locate the same point on the Garmin GPS, then have the Garmin to the navigation.