Hazards of stopping on the shoulder

TruckingSurv

Seasoned Expediter
The danger of being anywhere near moving traffic!

This link gets updated daily, so the story will move down the page, so for later readers, here is the short summary:

Updated information indicates on September 10, 2013 at approximately 1:45 p.m., a 2001 Subaru Legacy four-door station wagon with three adult occupants was stopped on the inside median shoulder of Interstate 5 near milepost 218 after having a flat tire. The three occupants were outside or near the opening of the car's left side doors.

A 2014 Nissan Versa four-door driven by KIMBERLY M. PHILLIPS, age 30, from Phoenix, Arizona, was traveling southbound in the left lane when an unidentified pickup braked and began to slow quickly. PHILLIPS steered to the left, traveling onto the insider shoulder where it struck the parked Subaru and the male standing outside.

You can NEVER predict what is going to happen, you can blame the pickup who slowed all you want, the real cause will likely be found that the lady that hit the parked car was following too close, couldn't brake quick enough, ran off the road hitting a disabled car, of course if she was looking any further ahead than the end of her hood she would of also seen that the shoulder was occupied.

Be very aware of traffic if you have to stop on the shoulder, especially if you need to exit the vehicle.

TS

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
My Guess is she was right up the bumper of most cars the way they drive today, they think they can PUSH you or the car in front, Bump draft you know they were trained by last weeks Nascar race....I was in an accident around Feb in my personal car, young man was right on my bumper when the light changed quickly and my 4 disc brake Mazda stopped way faster then his GMC SUV ever could, He wiped the rear of my car right off...his fault, tailgating, driving too fast for conditions etc...

Tailgating should carry a larger fine but it wouldnt help, Todays Nascar freeway drivers drive any darn way they want, and theyve watched all the Nascar races so there trained in High Speed insanity...

TruckingSurv

Seasoned Expediter
Todays Nascar freeway drivers drive any darn way they want, and theyve watched all the Nascar races so there trained in High Speed insanity...

I agree with you 100%, probably was trying to text too! I call them Ricky Racers and I agree with your assessment as to the NASCAR contribution.

TS

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
always put your 4 way flashers on when you pull onto shoulder
keep eye out for people who aren't looking for you to be on shoulder
ware bright colors when outside vchle

Heisenberg

Not a Member
I've seen people having a picnic on the shoulder before. I guess those fools never watched the movie "Black dog!" The shoulder is a very dangerous place to stop and have a bite to eat. But then again look at how educated our adult population is in this country. Most four wheelers can't even read the speed limit signs.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I like the one where they change drivers on the shoulder and never close the drivers door. Just makes you want to knock it off. :rolleyes: :cool:

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
No one here has had traffic stop so fast in front of them they had to take advasive action? Must be texting or something. Maybe just maybe it was what you call an accident.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

roadeyes

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The vast majority of "accidents" can be avoided regardless of which party may be technically at fault if everyone practiced situational awareness.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
But not everything can be avoided. People are always pointing fingers and coming up with reasons it happened when they really have no idea or proof. Gang mentality.

Last edited:

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
An accident is caused by Circumstances....If you allow room to brake, room to manuever, you wont have an accident...but try explaining that to the little gal behind me whose in a hurry to get to her pedicure when the light changes FAST and there less then a car length behind you...IN THE BOOK its called REACTION time, but theres also the time it takes for Brakes to function, Equipment to respond, and Or Brakes to grip the road, but if its wet, or snowing...or the car hasnt seen a brake job ever...etc etc...Circumstances/Reactions Time/Equipment Functions correctly etc...ACCIDENT.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Or the aggressive 18 wheeler on your bumper so when you need to react to something in front of you you also have to figure them into your reaction which could mean jumping onto the shoulder to avoid being rear ended.

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Im pretty unforgiving to ANY trucker who tailgates, Ill get your picture, Ill get your plate and Ill call your company and the cops, There is no excuse for any trucker to tailgate and those that do need to be out of this business. It does happen all the time by these super truckers who think pushing someone out of the lane they think they own is the ok....frankly any DOT/LEO who sees a truck within 20 feet of the rear of a car or another truck should get a ticket...when you figure in Reaction time and the response of the Air brake system, 20 feet is non existent,...

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
I had this idiot co-driver back when you could do 5 & 5. If we hit a rest area or truck stop when he was at 4.75, he'd insist on continuing and stop on the shoulder 15 minutes later, so I'd be stuck doing the swap & pre-trip or walk-around with traffic whizzing by me, followed by safely getting off the shoulder and up to speed. He just wouldn't listen.