Have you noticed?

Weady2Wun

Seasoned Expediter
As of a couple of days ago Fedex has changed to 54/55 mph to calculate the time it takes to perform a run. This was done without any notification to the Drivers. Our CC said they were not notified and that they are waiting to hear back on some questions that they have submitted.

If your run is strictly on Interstate highways, then this may not have any consequence, but in the real world that is not the case. Freight securement checks, fueling, driver change, breaks, secondary roads and traffic will make this a real challenge if not impossible without showing late.

Safety Drives Fedex :)

Weady2Wun

Seasoned Expediter
Just heard back from Fedex and they said that someone will be in this afternoon to fix the issue with the MPH calculation.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
Ok cool thanks. We got behind on this one because it was 150 miles of back roads from the start and right now we are about 2 hours ahead by running interstate and making up time.

jimby82

Veteran Expediter
We have been getting to run around on the load we are on right now. 3 different dispatchers, 3 different answers. :( Last one said it was a procedure change (dispatch at 55) and we should have been notified of the change!?!?! What the heck? Will let you all know what happens. Not real happy at the moment.

piattteam

Active Expediter
Yup, we have had some HOURS on back roads runs lately, and a Long Island, crossing the GWB at 1730!!!! run this week. NEVER keep a 55mph average on those!! We'll be awaiting a response to your inquiry on this!

BigCat

Expert Expediter
If one dispatch said it was procedure change then it very well could lead to accidents,speeding tickets and lower on time delivery if not fixed. Could be bad for CSA score.

jimby82

Veteran Expediter
OK, we were told they were working on the "problem", and they hoped to have it fixed by next week. Did not say one way or the other what was happening, just that there was a problem with some of the ETAs. This from our CC. Guess we'll wait and see on our next load opp.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Our current run is calculated at 52.

Sent from my PG06100 using EO Forums

jimby82

Veteran Expediter
The one we were just on was 53.2 going by the dispatch message. 54.5 if you go by when we actually left the shipper. ETA did not bump out. 1094 miles, 20.56667 hours to run. They eventually had to bump out our ETA 1.5 hours, for a total time of 22 hours. That's 49.7 mph.

We hit evening rush hour in one major city, and also near our delivery. Had to swap out drivers twice, plus various RR / stretch breaks. And to top it off, heavy fog for about 2 hours this morning.

Fun.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
The whole week we have been getting messages we are running behind even when we moved at the speed limit right out of the gate.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Send QC messages stating that you are running on back roads, construction, traffic, weather or anything else that is influencing your delivery time. Send the messages on the QC as they are easier to find if you are dinged with a late delivery.

If I remember right the computer is supposed to (key word supposed) dispatch at different speeds depending on the route. Back roads get a slower speed.

Send the messages to document what is happening with the load and there is no reason to get upset, speed, or take unnecessary risks.

jimby82

Veteran Expediter
I would just like to have an answer as to what is going on. No one seems to be on the same page other than to say it's a "problem."

Taking time to read a barrage of QC messages and to respond takes even more time, that can only be safely done while stopped.

Hope they get thus fixed soon. I really hope this isn't an attempt to speed up delivery times to gain a "competitive edge" on the competition. That would be a case of driving safety right into the ditch.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Send QC messages stating that you are running on back roads, construction, traffic, weather or anything else that is influencing your delivery time. Send the messages on the QC as they are easier to find if you are dinged with a late delivery.

If I remember right the computer is supposed to (key word supposed) dispatch at different speeds depending on the route. Back roads get a slower speed.

Send the messages to document what is happening with the load and there is no reason to get upset, speed, or take unnecessary risks.

It's a problem on FDCC's end, Linda. We started the week with a 1333 mile run that we got less than 24 hours to complete. Agent said for us to do our best to make up for that time. I told him to get out his calculator. He adjusted the delivery time.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We had not noticed it. We just drive at the same speed, day in and day out. When we get there, we get there. Guess we will have a look at our Monday load and see how it looks. Did not really pay attention to the load we just delivered, beat that time by 8 hours.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Today's run of 1004 miles is dispatched at 47.

Sent from my PG06100 using EO Forums