Have you ever wondered how they make that?

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Don't you find it amazing all of the really great businesses we get to see in this job? We just picked up at a place that makes sound equipment and rents it to stage productions. What a warehouse then we got to take that to the Indianapolis State Fair grounds. That is a great fair grounds. We have delivered plastic pellets to the place that makes the dies for anything that is made by injection molding. We delivered in the middle of the night and the shop foreman took us on a tour. Very interesting place. We delivered to a place that makes the cardboard corner packing, that was very interesting to watch that process. Just standing and watching machines stamp out parts is amazing. Ink for a place that made candy wrappers. Everyday you get a chance to something new and different.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
"Just standing & watching machines stamp out parts is amazing" - if you're not getting paid to do it, in which case it's drudgery, lol. My favorite place made what I thought were igloo shaped doghouses, when I saw them scattered outside on the grass - they turned out to be nosecones for aircraft instead. And when I delivered the one I hauled, the sign on the gate said "Taxiing aircraft have the right of way" Well, duuuh! Who's gonna stand there & argue with them? :7

ATeam

Retired Expediter
>Everyday you get a chance to something new and different.

Absolutely! While some expediters call their work "paid tourism," expediters get into places and see things no ordinary tourist could ever hope to see.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Being a guy, some of the coolest to me so far have been Saleen, where they make the Ford GT, and the Corvette plant. Some of the smaller shops where they make just a few specific components are pretty cool too. Another that was cool was the Harbor Hospital in Baltimore, just because the view of the Chesapeake Bay was beautiful from the back side of the hospital. I don't want to be sick but if you just had to be then having a room on the back side of the building would be the place to be.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5507, 5508, 5509
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
I saw enough $ waisted on high dollar (millions) in racing equipment to last me a lifetime.

What impresses me is the guy who imports and ships out stuff, not his inventory but collects a % of everything that comes trough his door. Kinda like these Expediting Companies, in inventory, no trucks etc.... just load em and empty them.

Now I am going on a bit as there is a need for them, but how one starts a company with no inventory, no equipment out lay well when I get that Associates its gona be in Distribution not how to build the widget just to ship it and resell it over and over again, you know like a used car lot ever thought about how much $ is made off of the average Honda Accord in its 18 years on the road? Intrest for the first 6 loans each salesman probably added 1K or more to the price, a couple of details, one or two accident repairs this car probably had 25 to 30 K added to it in peoples pockets lined that people squeezed out of it before it turned to junk.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
I think the coolest place i've seen in expediting was in kabul,afganistan just before i got out of the service. I was expediting the smack down on the taliban and some of osama's boys.

bryan

Veteran Expediter
Hi
I delivered repair parts to the Trans Canadian Pipeline in Tunish Ontario.It was a true load from hell getting it there, but once I got there it was a really cool place.I also got to deliver parts for the Dale Earnhart memorial car at the GM Oshawa plant.

I have also met some prety cool people.A Craftman Truck Series Team owner.A professional hockey player{I had no idea who he was, but once I called into dispatch they made go back and get his autogragh}.And one of my first loads was picking up samples at a guys pole building and take them to GM.He didn't even know what they were going to use his invention for.My kids now work at 2 of his factories and he just retired with a net worth of $5 billion.One of his companies was just awarded Ohio's top exporter.Should of invested in that one!