Have cdl permit need road test HOW??

Rikk

Expert Expediter
I am retired from the computer industry, and my wife would like to change jobs from the computer industry to drive with me. I have taken my written test and DOT physical and have my permit (CDL B). I just need to take my road test. Without owning a truck, how does one go about road testing? Also, we were looking at buying a truck but it hasn't worked out yet.

We have no children, love to be together, and own our home outright in the mountains (Easier to park a truck there rather than the city)

From what I have been reading we are a good match for the expediting industry. Is there any companies or fleets that would help us through the rest of this proccess?

Thanks in advance!

Rikk

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I am in somewhat the same situation.

I know that a lot of people will complain about this, but I have driven a lot of trucks in the past and feel confident that I won't be a hazard out on the road.

The first thing is make sure that you have a hazmat endorsment and airbrake endorsment tests out of the way.

So here is what I am doing or did.
I found a testing center that rents trucks, went there and looked at the truck I am going to take the test in. It is a 26 foot D unit International with a 6 speed trans and air brakes. i also talked to the tester, she was really nice and informative.

I then went to ryder and reserved the same like truck but under 26K, they won't rent to me unless I have a CDL. I am going to use the truck to go through several practice tests, get some road time and even practice backing up to my freind's dock, for three days. I got a good deal on the truck rental for three days, so I say why not.

Even though I am going to do this, I am starting out in a cargo van next week to get some money rolling in.

I hope this helps.

leymas

Expert Expediter
If you know some one with a CDL rent a truck for a day and have that person drive you to the test site. May be if you have a private trash hauler like waste management,allied,bfi some one like that they MAY help by having a truck meet you at the test site. That's not likely due to insurance reason but you never know. Do you have any truck driving training schools around you?

Rikk

Expert Expediter
I do have a friend with a CDL, as for schools none near me. But your post and the one prior is a good idea, thanks much!

>If you know some one with a CDL rent a truck for a day and
>have that person drive you to the test site. May be if you
>have a private trash hauler like waste management,allied,bfi
>some one like that they MAY help by having a truck meet you
>at the test site. That's not likely due to insurance reason
>but you never know. Do you have any truck driving training
>schools around you?

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
If you need a testing company, your local DMV should have a list. It cost us $100 to get the certificate for my nephew's license. I used my own truck, but I'm sure if you rent one (hint: a U-haul or Ryder doesn't require a cdl to drive), you should be able to use it for a test. I don't know if they rent them with air-brakes tho.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Believe you gotta be in a CDL truck (+26,000) to test ride for a B. The testers do earn their money and check (sometimes)

Pappy

Expert Expediter
Thats the catch--Being in a CDL Truck. A CDL truck will have air brakes. Thats the only way you'll be able to do the air brake inspection part of your pre-trip inspection. Do'nt know about your state, but in mine-- on test day, you do the pre-trip, the general skills test before the examiner ever takes you out on the road. Also, I'm not in favor of having a friend with a CDL rent a truck for you. READ one of those lease agreements. In case there was an accident, You and Your friend could be in major trouble. I reccommend finding a driving school. A number of them will let you sign up for only several days in order that you may familiarize yourself with a particular truck, practice with it a bit, then take your test in it. Remember, SKILL comes only eith EXPERIENCE. Every day that you survive on the road, greatly increases your chances of surviving out there another day! Good Luck,Be Safe

Pappy

34 years Tractor/Trailer

roadweazel

Expert Expediter
I live in Ohio and the truck school had us go up north to a privitly ownd test site(State approved). Tested there and after passing went to BMV office and got CDL. If you put what state your in someone in your area might see and know where you can go.

Rikk

Expert Expediter
RE: Have cdl permit need road test HOW?? Updated

Well, from what I found, in West Virginia it was easier for me to get a class 1 firearms license, CCW permit, and manufacturer of destructive devices than it is to take a damn road test. I have a friend that ownes a truck in virginia but it is not apportioned. hence he can't cross state lines. I have to use a West Virginia tester... Can't rent a truck.. And no schools for class B Geeez do I really want to be in this industry........

elton10

Expert Expediter

Rikk
I signed on as a team driver on a D unit with my Class B permit..We are limited to 14 hrs a day. You have to have a CDL driver accompany you to the test. I had a friend who rented a 24 st 25.500 Ryder for three days to practice and then went in a 26.000 plus truck with a licensed friend to take the test.
GA also requires a pre trip and basic skills before the actual road test

G

Look in the yellow pages under truck driving schools and you may see some listings for truck rental just for the cdl driving test. There are two places that do this in the Dallas area. It's a good service--they meet you at the testing place, get you familiar with the truck you will be testing with, and give you some pointers on passing the test.

I tested for my class B on a school bus so I have my passenger endorsement as well. Cost me $250.00, which I thought was a great deal.

Another option for the adventurous would be to go to a truck stop or a dealer's shop and look for a driver who is stranded for a while getting his truck worked on. Ask him to accompany you to rent a CDL truck and then accompany you to the road test. Pay him $100 or so.