Has anyone heard of this ???

TS462

Seasoned Expediter
I just went to work for a big company. And passed the dot and drug test. But the company said they was not taking my dot which i found kinda odd but never the less they didn't take it because they said they had tougher guide lines than the dot ok whatever. But i guess the question in all of this IS can they do this without being unfair and or discriminate on me or anyone

charlee

Seasoned Expediter
Any company can require their own DOT physical. More and more are doing their own as more drivers are using pencil wackers instead of actual physicians.

-charlotte

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
When you say you 'passed the Dot', what does that mean? Isn't it a bunch of info the doc posts on the form? So, say 'doc' put blood pressure at... whatever number.. how do you know it was a 'pass' in the end? Is there an end piece where the doc says, 'yes, he passed the Dot', or 'no, he failed the Dot becuz of this'? Or is it a bunch of data the company looks at to determine whether, as a whole, it meets their specific criteria?
Not being argumentative, just trying to understand.

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
Can it be considered discrimination for a carrier not to agree to lease any given person on, due to whatever reasons? If it were an employee relationship, I believe it could be, but when you're simply entering into a contract with someone, don't both parties have the right to contract with whom they wish?

TS462

Seasoned Expediter
When i took my dot phyical less than a week ago my blood pressure was 130/ 78 passing Did the caugh and turn your head for the males out here and passed that. Nothing wrong in the pee test and in the drug test as well. So i thought things were going fine. Then they told me after there doctor passed me they had a tougher guild lines than the dot. And they was not going to take my phyical which is fine if u give me your guild lines and give me the chance to pass them. But they did not even give me the chance to pass them just let me go. I hope this make more clear for some

nobb4u

Expert Expediter
May I ask what your weight and height are? Might just be a way to discreetly discriminate if you are over weight.

TS462

Seasoned Expediter
no i don't mind i'm 6'4 and go about 340. i know thats kinda a big guy but i seen larger out here

nobb4u

Expert Expediter
So have I, but I do know that this how some carriers manage to discriminate against drivers. I don't know what company you were looking at but if you see any of their trucks out and about look at the size of their drivers and see if my idea might hold true. Just an idea.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
TS462,

I'd be interested to know what company that was (I beleive I know). PM me if you'd prefer not to post it here.

My feeling is if the doc passed you, and you're healthy, they had no right to refuse you.

Dale

late4dinner

Seasoned Expediter
There are some doctors out there that could care less about your ability to pass the test. I once had a DOT done in a truckstop and the doctor asked me if I could touch the floor, then said of course you can, your are standing on it. The eye exam went like this, walk up to the chart and back up until you can just read the third line, now read the second line. He asked what my blood pressure averaged, and he put that number down on the sheet. The companies are getting wise as to who these jokers are, and it could be that you mistakenly went to one. Just a thought, did the company tell you what part of their requirements you didn't meet????

TS462

Seasoned Expediter
It was a doc they had come in and he did about 40 people that day and i guess we all passed it was later on the next day they told me. I still the long form which he passed me. then they came in later and said i didn't meet there standards which is an ok whatever