Hangin' out the side of the van, sweatin'....

johankey

New Recruit
Driver
So I just started driving a Ford Transit T250 for an owner and through a 3rd-party carrier. I'm totally new to this. I've been out on the road for 10 days so far. I should get my first settlement in 5 more days. The first week was OK. I had 1563 loaded miles, and that was despite sitting in one place for 72 hours with no load available. This was last weekend. Now I'm in my second weekend and it's the same thing all over again.

My question is:

Should I expect to sit in one place every weekend? If so, then how is this worthwhile? At this point, I just walk around Walmart 3 times a day or go to McDonald's and buy a fountain drink and sit for as long as I can.

I was laid off from my last job after being there 3-1/2 years. I have another job lined up (if I take it), but it doesn't start until October. I am basically homeless and figured that this would be a decent gig to at least get me through the Summer. My reasoning was that, by not having to pay rent or utilities, I could live frugally, sleep in the van, and save up enough money to go home in October and have a fresh start. Now I'm not so sure.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yup, pretty much a day in the life of expediting.

You should be able to save up (some) cash till October.
I would be taking that job, but by then, I'm sure you will not need much convincing ;)

johankey

New Recruit
Driver
Yup, pretty much a day in the life of expediting.

You should be able to save up (some) cash till October.
I would be taking that job, but by then, I'm sure you will not need much convincing ;)
Yeah, pretty much sums it up. If I had a CDL B license, then at least I would have a straight truck with an actual sleeper and could chill in there. Also, the loads would pay more. But honestly, it's a lonely way of life and one regularly seems to end up in a sketchy area with no load and no way to blend in (if you're a cracka like me). And, no weapons allowed, goy!

Fisherman

Active Expediter
Driver
Yes, nothing really moves on the weekends.

I have been in expediting for nearly a year, and I have never gotten a load on a Saturday or a Sunday. Literally not a single one.

So what I do on the weekends is either deadhead home if I'm close enough, or I get a hotel for Saturday and Sunday night if I'm too far away from home.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes, nothing really moves on the weekends.

I have been in expediting for nearly a year, and I have never gotten a load on a Saturday or a Sunday. Literally not a single one.

So what I do on the weekends is either deadhead home if I'm close enough, or I get a hotel for Saturday and Sunday night if I'm too far away from home.

Who's your carrier? Is your carrier looking for loads on the weekend? If not, then your expectations should be met. If so, they need to do better.

Reactions: Treadmill

Fisherman

Active Expediter
Driver
Who's your carrier? Is your carrier looking for loads on the weekend? If not, then your expectations should be met. If so, they need to do better.

I work for a small carrier. I don't think they even look for loads on the weekend as our office is closed Saturday and Sunday. I've been trying to move to a larger carrier for a while, but I've called the recruiters at every reputable company I can think of and none of them are taking on more vans right now. They all told me to call back in a month, and I'm sure I'll probably get the same answer then. The recruiter at Load 1 told me he has a waiting list of over 200 van owner operators, lol

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I work for a small carrier. I don't think they even look for loads on the weekend as our office is closed Saturday and Sunday. I've been trying to move to a larger carrier for a while, but I've called the recruiters at every reputable company I can think of and none of them are taking on more vans right now. They all told me to call back in a month, and I'm sure I'll probably get the same answer then. The recruiter at Load 1 told me he has a waiting list of over 200 van owner operators, lol
That sounds about right.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am basically homeless and figured that this would be a decent gig to at least get me through the Summer. My reasoning was that, by not having to pay rent or utilities, I could live frugally, sleep in the van, and save up enough money to go home in October and have a fresh start. Now I'm not so sure.
Sleeping in a van beats sleeping under a bridge.