GVW of a FORD E350

jimare

Seasoned Expediter
Yo Guy's Does someone know the GVW or curb weight of a Ford E350 either a 2004-05-06. Just wondering how do you keep you weight under 10,001lbs. with your personal property and freight, won't be around one to look inside the door till next week. So I thought I would ask the pro's. Later Gizmo:rolleyes:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I'm a bit confused.

You keep the weight lower than 10k by not loading with more than 10k - is that the answer you are looking for?

Seriously, here are the steps I recommend;

You first look at the door pillar sticker and see what the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating is - the reason for this is even if someone here says what it is, you always check. It should be something like 9500 lbs, I don't have my Ford books here so I can't say.

*this part is optional*
Then you go to the nearest truckstop, fill the thing up with fuel and then weigh it.

Then take your GVWR subtract your weight and that will give you how much the thing weighs stripped.
*optional part finished*

Then you load it up with your equipment, bed room set and what ever else you need to have while you are on the road.

Then you go (*back*) to the truck stop and get it weighed (*again). This is your empty weight. Don't forget to stay in or next to the van on the scale when you do this.

You now take your GVWR subtract the latest weight and it gives you your cargo capacity.

For example;
My van has a GVWR of 9660 lbs and it weighs 5900 lbs with nothing in it and that gives me 3760 lbs. I put the etrack in, the little cubby sleeper and all the other stuff which now gives me on the second weigh 6950 lbs which gives me 2710 lbs of cargo capacity.

guido4475

Not a Member
I'm a bit confused.

You keep the weight lower than 10k by not loading with more than 10k - is that the answer you are looking for?

Seriously, here are the steps I recommend;

You first look at the door pillar sticker and see what the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating is - the reason for this is even if someone here says what it is, you always check. It should be something like 9500 lbs, I don't have my Ford books here so I can't say.

*this part is optional*
Then you go to the nearest truckstop, fill the thing up with fuel and then weigh it.

Then take your GVWR subtract your weight and that will give you how much the thing weighs stripped.
*optional part finished*

Then you load it up with your equipment, bed room set and what ever else you need to have while you are on the road.

Then you go (*back*) to the truck stop and get it weighed (*again). This is your empty weight. Don't forget to stay in or next to the van on the scale when you do this.

You now take your GVWR subtract the latest weight and it gives you your cargo capacity.

For example;
My van has a GVWR of 9660 lbs and it weighs 5900 lbs with nothing in it and that gives me 3760 lbs. I put the etrack in, the little cubby sleeper and all the other stuff which now gives me on the second weigh 6950 lbs which gives me 2710 lbs of cargo capacity.

Once again, Greg is correct!!! My 2003 E-350 has a gvw of 9,400, with an empty weight of 7,500,so I can haul 1,900#.

jimare

Seasoned Expediter
Guy's, my question was and maybe I worded it wrong was only the curb weight of said vehicles. Later Gizmo:confused:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I sort of gave that to you when I said my old van weighed 5900lbs with nothing in it, which was a diesel so you have to consider if it is a diesel or a gasser. There is not much difference between gms and fords, sprinters have a light curb weight.

The sticker doesn't have the curb weight on it (curb weight is the weight for the vehicle usually with nothing in it except a driver - meaning as it comes from the factory), the sticker has the GVWR weight, broken down by axle and that's why I copied my explanation from my blog for you.

Using Guido's numbers, I would think his personal effects, plus equipement may be about 1400 lbs assuming he has a gasser.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
jimare wrote:

Yo Guy's Does someone know the GVW or curb weight of a Ford E350 either a 2004-05-06.

GVW is NOT curb weight....and the door sticker is NOT going to give you the "curb" weight......scale it.....

dancorn

Veteran Expediter
Our 2003 Ford 350S with a 7.3 engine, full tank, plywood flooring and a 125 pound driver (no bed, clothes or other furnishings had been added at that time) came in at 6540 pounds last week.
Hope this helps.

guido4475

Not a Member
My van is a 7.3 diesel model.It is extremely heavy for what it is, and I have tried to keep contents to a minimum.The only thing that I can think of making it so heavy is the reese hitch,steel bulkhead behind the seats,steel running down each side as well as the front of the cargo area.And me.And this may explain the less fuel mileage I get compared to some others.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Guido,
You should be getting at least 17 out of the thing, even with a light cargo capacity.

guido4475

Not a Member
Guido,
You should be getting at least 17 out of the thing, even with a light cargo capacity.

From Ohio to NC, I got 17.8 keeeping it under 65,And from NC to Fl I got 18.2, under 65. The last trip,Ga to NC, I had 900# and was running 70-75 and got 15.7. I know there is an optional 3:55 rear end gears available for these vans, although rare,But I think it may do more harm than good.So I am looking at adding and or changing some things to bring the mileage up.And I am thinking my heavy empty weight is having alot to do with the fuel mileage as well.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Do you have a 5 speed trans or the old four speed?

If you have the 5 speed, I would consider a gear change but look around and see where the volumetric efficiency is for the 7.3 for that year. I know it was talked about on one of the Ford Diesel sites and it may be at 60 (what ever the engine speed is for 60 in your van).

I would try to figure on that engine speed for say 67 mph because you have the low end torque with the engine, it should give you an all around good performance and better mileage. I think depending on your rear axle, Richmond Gear may have something near what you need.

My 6.5 got a solid 17 when I drove it, the other drivers for some reason dropped it to 14, they had to be dogging it.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
That's low fuel mileage. I get 21-22 ridin about 62.. drops to about 19-20 if lot of hills, or puttin my foot in it.

Very impressed with the ol thang!

Dale

guido4475

Not a Member
I am positive it is a four-speed.I thought they mated the 5-speed to the 6.0.Like I said, if I keep it at 65 or under it does alright, but I like to cruise around 70.The price I pay for going fast, I guess.

idtrans

Expert Expediter
I have a 2003 E350 with 7.3 power stroke and I get around 18 and I runb real hard average speed is about 85 / 90 . I have a bullydog programmer but I am gonna put my old programmer back in its a older superchips I think I may get better mpg with that one.

I also plan on putting a 4" exhaust from turbo back $400 on ebay
k&N air filters $100 or so
and get my emissions crap pulled off $100 to local diesel nuts

so for about $600 the van should jump to the 22mpg area running like I do and 25 to 28 if I drive slow or the speedlimit.

My friend did all the above to his 2003 dually f350 and he is getting 23 mpg hwy so my van should do way better.

I know I run to fast but heck I always have cb on , bird dogs alert, and gps ready and never run half asleep . I always run wide awake.

I am getting ready to do what others on here recommend for O/O like me to lease onto multiple companies. I wanna run the 3k mile average per week since I only work 3 weeks 9000 miles per month will be fine.

BTW The walmart diesel thing is what I do as well also at times sams club . QT has cheap diesel also and darn good coffee.

OK I am off to the gym gotta work out on my days off. I gained 6 pounuds last run LOL darn florida runs fatten me up with the layover days.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a 2003 E350 with 7.3 power stroke and I get around 18 and I runb real hard average speed is about 85 / 90 . I have a bullydog programmer but I am gonna put my old programmer back in its a older superchips I think I may get better mpg with that one.

I also plan on putting a 4" exhaust from turbo back $400 on ebay
k&N air filters $100 or so
and get my emissions crap pulled off $100 to local diesel nuts

so for about $600 the van should jump to the 22mpg area running like I do and 25 to 28 if I drive slow or the speedlimit.

My friend did all the above to his 2003 dually f350 and he is getting 23 mpg hwy so my van should do way better.

I know I run to fast but heck I always have cb on , bird dogs alert, and gps ready and never run half asleep . I always run wide awake.

I am getting ready to do what others on here recommend for O/O like me to lease onto multiple companies. I wanna run the 3k mile average per week since I only work 3 weeks 9000 miles per month will be fine.

BTW The walmart diesel thing is what I do as well also at times sams club . QT has cheap diesel also and darn good coffee.

OK I am off to the gym gotta work out on my days off. I gained 6 pounuds last run LOL darn florida runs fatten me up with the layover days.

Yep 152k on my 03 7.3 and she runs like a champ

"I usually played such things as rough-neck and thug.
Opaque melodies that would bug most people.
Music from the other side of the fence."
Captain Beefheart

guido4475

Not a Member
85-90 mph running-sounds like Smokey and the Bandit to me, lol.

So what do you gain by going that fast, anyway?I'm just curious.

idtrans

Expert Expediter
I get where I need to be and then get some rest. Other than that I gain nothing just time. Plus I honestly like to see the miles get over with on my runs.

85-90 mph running-sounds like Smokey and the Bandit to me, lol.

So what do you gain by going that fast, anyway?I'm just curious.