Greiger Motors AAAA++++++ Panther2 AAAAA++++++

hondaking38

Veteran Expediter
ive finally made it... got the cdl, got the hazmat, called greiger motor sales, they had me approved for the sprinter i wanted, picked it up on monday, went to panther2 orientation on wed and thur, drove home for military duty for friday sat and sun..sunday afternoon i will make myself available for duty...its been a long 4 month process, since the first time i started reading these posts, until i am ready to roll..my goal is to have at least one other sprinter on the road within 2 months..i have a lot to learn, and learn i will...oh did i forget to say my wife isnt to happy about this over the road, gone away from home business...

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
RE: Greiger Motors AAAA++++++ Panther2 AAAAA++++

Good luck and keep us posted.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter

You should slow your butt down and see how you do with one sprinter before you put another on. I hope you've been reading ALL the posts... INCLUDING the ones that tell how van freight is as slow as molasses in January!!! :eek:

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter

Follow T-Hawks advice and read Racemans Posts and go way back. It tells it the way it is. If your not gona pay cash for a second vehicle you just might find yourself (probably) in a whole lot of trouble (financial).

Give yourself a year don't rush it'll still be here and you will even be smarter now that you took the TIME to digest what you have lerned and take others stories and figure out why did that work for him but not for the other person? Can't figure those kind of stories out in a couple of months.

Heck look at T-Hawk hes a Seahawk fan can't find another team that has actually been to a Superbowl, and there out there. See he is taken his own advice waitin another year.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

T Hawk will be waiting more than 1 year especially since half the team usually goes to prison during the season.
Now watch out for thos mighty pure hearted Jacksonville Jaguars.

raceman

Veteran Expediter

Very happy to hear you are moving along. Nice looking Sprinter. I am wondering why you needed a CDL for a Sprinter.

I love your goal of a second vehicle. If the business was booming. I am always told how straight forward I am and that includes top notch people from this site as well. That being the case, here I go.

Set your goal of a second vehicle but set it with numbers. Figure out what you need to be making to support You and your family, a driver, two Sprinters, insurance etc. Once you are making enough money in your Sprinter to handle all those bills minus the extra Sprinter payment then go for it. I would actually wait until your Sprinter could pay for everything but I am being kind by saying minus the one payment. I will give you that much.

In other words be sure this business is doing well enough for you to cover all that stuff and be sure you give it a few months at making that before you add on.

I am telling you this business will not support all that right now. You also need to be sure you understand what this buyout at Panther is really going to mean.

Now the last thing I will tell you is you had better have enough money stuck away to pay all your bills for atleast three months. This will help you if things take a bad turn.

I am all for your plans but do it slow and informed and atleast wait until Panther settles down and business picks up. It is my opinion this is not the time to add vehicles.

I wish only the best.

Raceman
OTR O/O

TJ959

Veteran Expediter

Amen........... Don't be in a hurry to add another truck. Freight is slow for me in a "D" truck and I hear it's much slower in the vans. Welcome to the fray. If you've got the reserves you can do very well in a sprinter. Good luck.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter

Now wait a minute, guys!!! No one on the Seahawks have gone to prison! I do hate to see Koren Robinson go though. But I like their reciever pickups in the off season. Pathon and Jerivisious <sp> have good hands. Maybe no more games lost cause of dropped balls. ;)

G

The thing that jumped out at me in the original post was that your wife was none too happy about you going over the road and being away from home. That is a little scratch that can get very infected and can eventually require an amputation. You need her on board to be successful. Pay close attention to that as well and understand that without her support you may need that second van to keep your stuff in. ;-)

Best of luck, though. It's an exciting time for you and I know that all of the posts above only want to temper your excitement with a little reality. Don't let it discourage you. Take it as sage advice.

Reactions: jcochristoph

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter

Great Observation on Wife being part of the Team. Hope she signs up before the Seahawks get her, but that could be another season with no Superbowl or 20 seasons.

mvbn1

Expert Expediter

Good luck hondaking! Like everyone has already stated, slow down and see how things go. It's great to have goals in life, but remember, those goals need to be tuned and tweeked as you go.

Also, let me tell you from my own experience, if your a family man, this "life" will start to wear on you real quick. I realized a couple of weeks ago, that I'm missing out on alot of things at home, that I would have been involved with. My boys, 22 and 15, are very involved in sports, and I've always been there for them, and now I only get to attend those events, when I make it home. I'm seriously thinking about getting out of the business, after only 4 months, and finding something that allows me to be at home on a regular basis. If your wifes not happy about the whole thing, then maybe you didn't think everything through completely.

Again, good luck!

raceman

Veteran Expediter

Mike, my kids are 16, 21 24 and 26 or maybe 27. anyway, I see from your POST or response to Hondaking you are starting to see why I am happy with this dedicated I do. Seeing family each day is worth some amount of dollars. Right?

Remeber we all measure success or happiness in different ways. When I was with E1 it was worth a few less miles to be treated like a human. In my dedicated run now I see how much home time is worth and it is worth a lot. I refer to home time as a benefit.

Raceman
OTR O/O

Drluvv

Expert Expediter

All of us expediters can't be wrong HondaKing, slow your ##### down and don't think of investing money you don't have on another van. Your not impressing any of us just because some slick greased up salesman says you've qualified for a loan. We've seen the good and the bad in this business, freight right now is slow and is gonna get even slower now that GM is having money problems and is laying off people and closing plants. Sorry to bust your bubble but you should save what ever money you have and hide it under your mattress. You should've struck while the "Iron" was HOT not when its cooling off.LOL