Green diesel Sprinter tune

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Anybody using the Green Diesel tune? EGR is dead and its decision time, fix or eliminate. My sprinter has to go for emissions, and they hook up to the OBD2 and access the computer, as well as opacity test.

I've heard the GDE tune get good reviews on Sprinter-source and the MPG and EGR problems gone sound great...

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Try to clean the EGR value. Remove three bolts and maybe a hose. Don't use a steel brush spray with brake cleaner. Wipe it down repeat until clean and the baffle operates smoothly.

Reactions: brokcanadian

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks...Quick scan at sprinter source said the 05 up wasn't cleanable, but I've I've nothing to lose and it WAS working thru most o the 6 hours drive home...pass emissions then GDE tune :D

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks...Quick scan at sprinter source said the 05 up wasn't cleanable, but I've I've nothing to lose and it WAS working thru most o the 6 hours drive home...pass emissions then GDE tune :D

I have a 05 and clean it once a year. Soot builds up at the end and forms a cone other junk gums it up. I had one that the baffles would not close all the way. Engine light came on and limp mode to only 65 mph. After cleaning if worked good as new. Just don't strip out those bolts!

Reactions: Turtle

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The older 02/03 EGR valve needs to be regularly cleaned thoroughly all up in there, but the 40/06 EGR valve has blades that make it essentially self cleaning, comparatively speaking. That's not to say the new 04/06 valves won't benefit from a good annual cleaning. Sometimes it's the actual electronics module that goes bad, but mostly likely it just needs a good cleaning. I spray brake cleaner (tons of it) and use a small brush.

This guy certainly has an interesting and novel approach with his brush. :D

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Anybody using the Green Diesel tune? EGR is dead and its decision time, fix or eliminate. My sprinter has to go for emissions, and they hook up to the OBD2 and access the computer, as well as opacity test.

I've heard the GDE tune get good reviews on Sprinter-source and the MPG and EGR problems gone sound great...

I've often wondered about the Green Diesel tunes ....
I've read the stuff on Sprinter-Source before, but was always curious how it would perform in the expediting environment.
If you get it installed, please share your thoughts on it.

Great video ...

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Will do, i'll have a good baseline by the time I can afford it - first is the iCarsoft MB II to reset the TCM, having that handy on the road for future problems to me is a must for a Sprinter.

I'll purchase it regardless of mpg, I see reports of 10% but who knows, it's worth it to avoid limp mode due to egr...

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Be careful with this tune. I read somewhere that the EGR valve needs to be functional, it will just not open. If the EGR valve is not functional you will still get the CEL.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I heard the opposite online, who knows...I'm hoping the egr will work for now anyway after cleaning, I'll be the guinea pig for this forum when money's not so tight

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Issue with my van: DPF failure code cannot be resolved. CEL on constantly. On a couple of visits to The Doktor over the past 8-9 mo, for other minor issues, the DPF failure code remains. All systems appear to be operating normally .. no egr issues, no swirl valve issues, no excessive oil consumption, no excessive fuel consumption, cat converter temps fore & aft look fine, etc, etc .... overall van performance is fine. I always use the Mobile spec oil. On those visits, soot levels have been measured at 12-30 grams. I think the 30 grm measurement was an anomaly, I had a glow plug that was out for about a month. Forced regens gets the soot level into the single digits but not much lower. The reading from the DPF filter, which is a measurement of the pressure inside the filter, could be an inaccurate, false reading. The filter doesn't appear to be clogged. The DPF filter could be bad, only $$ spent will tell ...

Now I'm faced with this decision: Throw $$ chasing this issue, which will most likely only get worse, egr, swirl valve, swirl valve actuator .. all this stuff is always on the horizon .... or get the Green Diesel tune & forget about it. Turn the clock back & make my van a dirty diesel.

Lots of info on sprinter-source, not much on EO. Has anyone on EO actually installed it? If so, feedback?

Will do, i'll have a good baseline by the time I can afford it - first is the iCarsoft MB II to reset the TCM, having that handy on the road for future problems to me is a must for a Sprinter.
I'll purchase it regardless of mpg, I see reports of 10% but who knows, it's worth it to avoid limp mode due to egr...

Did you ever get the Green Diesel tune?
http://www.greendieselengineering.c...inter&name=Sprinter+3.0L+CRD+Eco+Tune&model=+

I don't know about older years but shutting off the egr on post 07 models works fine. You need other things done but it works.

Xiggi, correct me if I'm wrong but I believe your Sprinter is the same model years '07-'09. Have you turned this stuff off?

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
On an 07-09 I believe you can do a dpf delete with no problems (and you'll see a mpg increase) but without the ECM being tweaked your cel will stay on. There's a shop in Florida that thrives on tuning. (I had a 2007)

Reactions: Grizzly

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Nothing to add...other than the hundreds of happy users of the green diesel tune on Sprinter source, still havent saved up for it

Reactions: T270_Dreamin

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Oh if I had swirl valves you'd better believe i'd do it, as far as 2006 and previous the egr is not very hard to...uh...fix permanently :D

Reactions: Grizzly

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You save fuel and also get cleaner shifts and more power for climbing mountains. Don't ask me why I haven't done it yet???:rolleyes: A) Because its expensive and B) Because if I plan on staying in the shipping game I need to upgrade to a 2014-18 Sprinter (with upgraded suspension seats) or a 2012-13 Straight truck w/ Air suspension/seats w/ 22 ft box and sleeper. Tired of these long hauls kicking my tail! o_O SF to Houston about to head out I'm the king of lost productivity, but the load is full and well planned.

Hristo H.

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
I bought the green diesel engineering tune model in the beginning on July because i had a problem with DPF and after using this tune and deleting the DPF filter, the truck in running really good with the acceleration up the hills and is not dropping the power. The MPG has also increased for 20 to 22-23 depending on how I drive the truck. It has helped me a lot and saved me a lot of money. Thank you green diesel engineering for a great product and service.

Reactions: brokcanadian

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
one thing that help me is ace's 2 from bnd automotive.com, putting it in every time I filled up fuel
help fuel burn more efficiently. took care of egr system. 1 gallon treat's 2,000 of fuel
one oz treats 15 gal's of fuel