Grass always looks greener

tblount

Seasoned Expediter
They say the grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence.... but is it? ...and if so, how much greener?

Having worked for both Panther and FedEx Custom Critical and kept meticulous records and spreadsheets at both here is some bottom line FACTS that the records revealed....

Both averaged paying 1.43 cents per mile including fuel.

The average pay per mile - after fuel and insurance and escrow and qualcomm are deducted, is about 80 cents per mile - for both (when adjusted for the variations is fuel cost at the pump.)

CC paid about $200 more per week while both averaged just over 1,400 miles per week (loaded and deadhead.)

Panther's deadhead averaged 24% of the miles while CC averaged 34% deadhead miles.

CC gives a solo driver about 20 loads per month while Panther takes 50 days to give a solo driver 20 loads.

I could say a lot more about the comparisons of dealing with company employees, like recruiting and dispatch... and compare the dispatch systems, logging, orientation, etc... however this probably isn't the place and I may get banned for stepping out of bounds since this would be my opinions and not based on factual numbers. So if you want to know anything else just email me.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
What date range were you at each company, i.e. mm/yy-mm/yy? Those are interesting statistics, especially the average pay being the same. How was the truck classified, i.e. C or D, WG or std. freight etc.? I'm most surprised by the timeframe for 20 loads to a solo. What time of year was that? Thanks for the interesting post.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Is that a standard freight truck or a White Glove and Elite Services truck?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Both averaged paying 1.43 cents per mile including fuel.

The average pay per mile - after fuel and insurance and escrow and qualcomm are deducted, is about 80 cents per mile - for both (when adjusted for the variations is fuel cost at the pump.)

CC paid about $200 more per week while both averaged just over 1,400 miles per week (loaded and deadhead.)

Panther's deadhead averaged 24% of the miles while CC averaged 34% deadhead miles.

CC gives a solo driver about 20 loads per month while Panther takes 50 days to give a solo driver 20 loads.
=========================================
I am with Leo on this one. Some information is not listed so it is hard to tell.
Surprised as well at the identical same rate?
You numbers or the explanation is confusing . How can you have the same milage, same rate, doing 20 loads in 30 days with one and the other takes 50 and only wind up with a 200 per week variance.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I think the d/h difference is what equalizes it between the more at CC but I'm still curious about the other questions.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I quess that is possible. I am also surprised at the 1400 mile per week. I would have thought somewhat higher at either place. Maybe not?

tblount

Seasoned Expediter
I am with Leo on this one. Some information is not listed so it is hard to tell.
Surprised as well at the identical same rate?
You numbers or the explanation is confusing . How can you have the same milage, same rate, doing 20 loads in 30 days with one and the other takes 50 and only wind up with a 200 per week variance.

You are correct... they are nearly the same. The difference appears the day after finishing a load. When days out are divided into the pay (right after a load) the daily average will jump $20 to $25. When the daily average is multiplied by 7 that is when the $200 difference shows up. But wait till the next day and they will be the same. That factor in an active spreadsheet also causes the average pay per mile to jump up about 5 cents.

The only important thing is that neither Panther or CC actually pays more than about 23 cents per mile for fuel - when you calculate actual miles from where you are sitting to where you unload. That means that a D truck operating at 53 cents per mile for fuel pays the owner 90 cents per mile... not $1.20

Last edited:

tblount

Seasoned Expediter
I quess that is possible. I am also surprised at the 1400 mile per week. I would have thought somewhat higher at either place. Maybe not?

If I am allowed to post the link to the spreadsheets they are online at the google spreadsheet option.... so I can easily share.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
There is always that chance that someone will cry about it, but I don't see it as a problem. If a company can't hold up to some outside scrutiny, they shouldn't be out here in the first place.

dcalien

Seasoned Expediter
This is the greenest grass I have found so far, and second place isn't even close. Of course I have limited experience having been with only two other carriers.

Wish I had come here to start with.

tblount

Seasoned Expediter
This is the greenest grass I have found so far, and second place isn't even close. Of course I have limited experience having been with only two other carriers.

Wish I had come here to start with.

Yes, it's pretty good pay for a straight truck even though it is quite a bit sort of the promises. I also worked with another expedite company and have come to the conclusion that there are only 2 companies that get the majority expedite freight (maybe 3 if you count Lanstar) and the others try to make it from loads that pay a lot less and are passed on.

In reality, we are the lowest bidders for most loads or the companies would just take a cut and broker them to someone who would haul them for less. About the only real thing we have in our favor is that we are in a location close enough to a load to arrive at pickup time. When time is not an issue they can always find an outside company to haul it for less ...and we wouldn't get it. After all.... profit is their bottom line.