Graduate student with some questions

TerpVet

New Recruit
Researching
US Army
Hey Forum,

BLUF: I am an MBA student at the University of Maryland and I was hoping some of you industry folk can fill out a short survey. If it takes you more than 5 minutes you're probably over thinking it.

Survey:
https:/ /forms.gle/KLnGBrNXKLmWzFfLA
(please copy and paste because I'm a forum newbie) Thanks :)

A bit of back story, as this is also my first post on this forum.
My grandfather was a trucker and I guess the same passion still runs through the familial veins. After undergrad I became a Transportation Officer in the US Army and served with EOD and the 101st. After 6.5 years in the Army I was accepted into graduate school at MIT, where my focus was on the Trucking Industry. Now I am a bored MBA student at the University of Maryland (College Park) and my friend and I need some help with a class project.
Seeing as how the trucking industry is the absolute NICEST in the entire universe I figured I'd post and hopefully receive some help.

Very Respectfully,
Adam
adam.gard@rhsmith. umd. edu

P.S. If you want to talk trucking I WOULD LOVE that, so please email me.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Hey Forum,

BLUF: I am an MBA student at the University of Maryland and I was hoping some of you industry folk can fill out a short survey. If it takes you more than 5 minutes you're probably over thinking it.

Survey:
https:/ /forms.gle/KLnGBrNXKLmWzFfLA
(please copy and paste because I'm a forum newbie) Thanks :)

A bit of back story, as this is also my first post on this forum.
My grandfather was a trucker and I guess the same passion still runs through the familial veins. After undergrad I became a Transportation Officer in the US Army and served with EOD and the 101st. After 6.5 years in the Army I was accepted into graduate school at MIT, where my focus was on the Trucking Industry. Now I am a bored MBA student at the University of Maryland (College Park) and my friend and I need some help with a class project.
Seeing as how the trucking industry is the absolute NICEST in the entire universe I figured I'd post and hopefully receive some help.

Very Respectfully,
Adam
adam.gard@rhsmith. umd. edu

P.S. If you want to talk trucking I WOULD LOVE that, so please email me.
Please don't take this the wrong way, but while i can appreciate your research, i have this thing about clicking on links from people i dont know.

Like jcoppman said, what do you want to know? Can we help here in the forum?

TerpVet

New Recruit
Researching
US Army
Ragman
jcoppman

Totally understand where you both are coming from. I'll add the questions below, thank you for the help :)

Trucking Industry Questions

1) Have you conducted freight transportation within the United States for at least three years? If so, for how long (time need not be consecutive)?

2) Have you ever transported freight to distances greater than 250 miles, incurring a mandatory rest in the process?

3) How many trips in excess of 250 miles do you generally complete per month?
1-3 | 4-6 | 7-9 | 10+

4) Average amount of BOLs that you are responsible for maintaining during your routes?
1-10 | 11-20 | 21-40 | 41+

5) Has maintenance of Bills of Lading (BOL) ever been a nuisance/detriment to efficiently executing your duties, i.e. providing current load documentation to a law enforcement official during inspection? If so, please explain and/or provide an example.

6) Is there any difficulty in getting copies of the current BOL if it got lost or destroyed during the job? Would you be able to rank the ease, or lack thereof on a scale of 1-10? (1: Instantly receive copy / 10: Bureaucratic nightmare)

7) If an application could be used to instantly relay, efficiently recall, and effectively present a Bill of Lading while adhering to all Federal and State regulation would you use it? What would be its most valuable trait?

8) If the application was created, would you tell your peers about it?

9) How often during the day do you utilize applications on your phone? How many of your interactions with these applications are used to improve job-related efficiency?

Thank you for helping out.

Last edited:

jcoppman

Expert Expediter
Unfortunately, your ?s mostly apply to big rigs it seems. In our category of logistics we are either cargo Van's or cubes that are not regulated so ?s #2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 are more pertinent to regulated commercial vehicles 10,001 lbs or over in weight. Large straights do fall into that category but in our role for expedite freight we are predominantly dedicated to one customer....what is also referred to as "hot shot" freight. We deliver direct, with only regulated straights having to adhere to the mandatory HOS. So, single bol, most runs are single customer direct and by in large over 250 miles in length. Most of us use GPS tracking via a phone app. or by Qualcomm...Google MAPS etc.

By the sound of it are you toying with the idea of developing some kind of app?

Sent from my SM-N975U using EO Forums mobile app

TerpVet

New Recruit
Researching
US Army
Unfortunately, your ?s mostly apply to big rigs it seems. In our category of logistics we are either cargo Van's or cubes that are not regulated so ?s #2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 are more pertinent to regulated commercial vehicles 10,001 lbs or over in weight. Large straights do fall into that category but in our role for expedite freight we are predominantly dedicated to one customer....what is also referred to as "hot shot" freight. We deliver direct, with only regulated straights having to adhere to the mandatory HOS. So, single bol, most runs are single customer direct and by in large over 250 miles in length. Most of us use GPS tracking via a phone app. or by Qualcomm...Google MAPS etc.

By the sound of it are you toying with the idea of developing some kind of app?

Sent from my SM-N975U using EO Forums mobile app
Thanks! I'll close the thread :)