GPS

dpea9

Expert Expediter
I am looking to buy a GPS I was wondering what brand and model some of you are using and if you like them.
Thanks
Dan

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
If running a laptop, my choice is Delorme. Can be bought from $99.00 to 135.00. It is an all in one package. Only real downside is that it does not know or care about low bridge, or hazmat routing.

DocRushing

Expert Expediter
Dan:
The past three months Marda and I have used a Lowrance iWay 500C.
We feel extremely well pleased with it.
The large screen is very nice.
It's very user-friendly.
It does not know about low clearances, so we still check the tables in the front of the Rand-McNoodle.
It also does not know about hazmat routes.
When we encounter a required hazmat bypass or detour, we do what the signs require, then the GPS gizmo promptly figures out the new route.
The same thing applies to any other detour or deviation.
Rarely do we stumble onto an unanticipated hazmat bypass.
Using GPS is not only very helpful but also super-cool and a real hoot.
Our gizmo has already paid for itself several times.
Good luck!
Doc.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Everything Doc Rushing said!!! We have found the Lowrance to be one of the best purchases we have made. We had the GPS antenna attached to the computer but did not have a good enough stand to hold the computer so it flopped around to much. It was a good system though but not nearly as easy to use as the Lowrance. We have become so dependent on the darn thing we even use it to watch our speed!! We follow "Lori" almost all of the time and when we miss a turn she gets us back on track. The one thing bad about the Lowrance is that it does not like to get hot. Bob made a bracket that fits just above the air vent so her behind is always cool!! http://www.lowrance.com/ This is the link to their home page.