DOT Got pulled over in KY

Tobster317

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
On 75 heading North out of Berea. Get the under cover car, lights me up with the blues. Pull over. Comes to the passenger side and ask me to roll down my window. He wants to check the TINT on them. I said What, since when. He said that they are going to be checking. Had the little meter in his hand and checked. I was 29%. Need to be 70% or better for a CV. Just a heads up. Not sure if he was serious but I was pulled over in OH last week without a problem. Anyone else had this happen in KY?

Attachments

• IMG_0026.JPG
    IMG_0026.JPG
    334.9 KB · Views: 72
Reactions: RoadTime

hedgehog

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I got pulled over in PA on I-79 just south of Cranberry Twp. several years ago by one of the locals.

A younger cop had a densitometer on his "attack/tool belt" and measured one of the windows which were quite dark at the time I owned the van.

Anyways, he cited me for the above crime and said I had 72 hours to correct the situation and drive back to the PA twp. to have the van re-inspected. Failure to do so would result in a fine and loss of license do to the reciprocity laws between Ohio/PA.

I totally ignored his warnings and scare tactics and did nothing.

I have made lots of deliveries in PA and western NY since then and have suffered no consequences including loss of license upon renewal. (knock-on-wood).

I replaced that van 2 yrs ago and the first modification I made was to tint ALL WINDOWS for privacy for both me and my customers.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Most states tend to not be a dick about it, but each state has tint laws that apply to all vehicles operating on the public roads of that state. It doesn't matter where the vehicle is registered, since you have to abide by the motor vehicle laws of the state in which you are driving. If you go to court and fight a tint citation, you'll almost certainly lose.

A few years ago I was pulled over in Iowa for (A) having window tint (they allow none) and (B) not having a front license plate. I explained the window tint was the darkest that Kentucky allows, and he seemed OK with that. He gave me a warning, and told me that if I was going to spend extended times in Iowa that I should remedy the situation. I told him that while a corn-based diet clearly produces extraordinarily beautiful women, my job generally requires that I spend as little time in Iowa as possible, and that I'm fine with that. He got a kick out of that.

He was more concerned with the lack of a front license plate. He even called in to his dispatch to confirm that Kentucky does not issue front plates. Weird.

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Most states tend to not be a dick about it, but each state has tint laws that apply to all vehicles operating on the public roads of that state. It doesn't matter where the vehicle is registered, since you have to abide by the motor vehicle laws of the state in which you are driving. If you go to court and fight a tint citation, you'll almost certainly lose.

A few years ago I was pulled over in Iowa for (A) having window tint (they allow none) and (B) not having a front license plate. I explained the window tint was the darkest that Kentucky allows, and he seemed OK with that. He gave me a warning, and told me that if I was going to spend extended times in Iowa that I should remedy the situation. I told him that while a corn-based diet clearly produces extraordinarily beautiful women, my job generally requires that I spend as little time in Iowa as possible, and that I'm fine with that. He got a kick out of that.

He was more concerned with the lack of a front license plate. He even called in to his dispatch to confirm that Kentucky does not issue front plates. Weird.

Awesome Turtle! Lol..