Got my first Rejection today...

Whiterabbit

Expert Expediter
got turned down by Landstar cause didnt have recent otr experience...last time i did true otr was 76 to 82,hauling from Detroit. to Ind. an Wisc. with a flatbed,carried up to 10 pallets of firebrick...guess local wk isnt considered close to OTR...Gota interview tommorrow,and two more that im really interested in hopefully later this week...have things changed that much (speakin bout OTR drivin etc.?),at least thier still does seem to be a interest in cargo Vans...ill not be dismayed by the rejection tho,i beleive in fate (up to a point) an destiny so lookout here i come,(someday soon)..:)...be safe an many blessins,best to all,WR

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Many compamies are requiring min. 6 months or more verified recent OTR expierience now, due to requirements from their insurance carriers. (New truck drivers have the highest number of claims, thus more "risky"). There are still some out there who will take "green peas" and people without recent exp, or driving school grads so keep applying. A few years ago Thompson Emergency, Con-Way Now and Tri-State didn't require exp, might want to try those places.
-Weave-

Whiterabbit

Expert Expediter
Was hopin that the fact that i got over 1 mill mi. ticket an accident free and i won the S.E. Mi. truck rodeo champ for 10 yd dumps would sway them but alas ~~~Sniff sniff,(snicker)~~~`(seems like nowadays the insurance companys are our real employers ,dont it?...Got my second reject, from Express1, said theyd like to take me on, but not hiring straight trucks,BUT they said my app. looked really Strong!...They were dang courteous folk they were,so ill keep em in mind when i get me a "real" truck! :)...Got my folddown bed in tonight,...only 23 in.wide, Plenty big for my lanky frame,tommorrow goes in the accesories "tables"...pretty much excited bought it all...if i cant find a existing Co. to lease me an my "rig" out to soon im thinkin ill apply for my own "authority"...so's when i put em out of biz (except for xpress one,cause theyre so darn nice) cause of i took all thier buisness , theyll be in the soup line sayin "darn should have hired that guy!":) Kind of like when all those record labels rejected the 'Beatles' :)...have a good one, Weave,an thanks for the tips

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
If I were you (which I’m not, but if I were!!!) I would find the loads to be delivered first, or the companies that will use your service before I invested the money into getting my own authority. Getting the NUMBER is the easy part! Is it going to be worth all the dead-time waiting on loads that may never come? Is it going to be worth all the deadhead miles getting from load to load? Another thing to take into consideration is the people shipping the freight these days are very leery about using a one man team as apposed to picking up the phone and calling someone they have already used and trust. I am speaking from experience!!!

ASK Your-self! What are you going to do if you get a load from Mi, to say eastern Pa? Now you find another load back in Mi and you are 500-miles away and the load is only going to Oh about a 100-mile trip. Do you tell the shipper you don’t want the load? If you do that you can kiss that company good-by!!! They may never call you again.

I would suggest that if you go this route,
(your own authority) you find yourself a company that is looking for dedicated route drivers and you do the same thing day in and day out. Now if you do this type of running, ask yourself why invest all this money into putting all this (a bed, a table, and all the accessories) into the van and you may find a route that gets you home every night?

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but I call a spade a spade. Sounds to me like you put the cart before the horse on this one!!!
There are some people that paid the $600 plus and got an authority number and are now renting it to drivers with out one, that do part time deliveries or can’t find a company that will hire them. You would do a trip under their # and pay them something like 5 or 10%. You may want to look into doing this until you build up a clientele that would make it worth wild investing into getting your own DOT #

Whiterabbit

Expert Expediter
Thx for the "wisdom" Tony!...should have edited the post (while i had time) i should have said that express1 isnt hiring cargo vans...as found out that Con-Way also is not...now theres plenty of local work here, but the "roads callin me" bigtime for some long runs...I have plenty of 3/4 in finished one side plywood around so its not costin me anything to finish her off. Shes lookin pretty darn good! Thx agin :)

tr

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
White Rabbit, if you have not got things worked out call CTX in Warren MI. Good Luck

Whiterabbit

Expert Expediter
TR...an Colonel...thx had to go with another, ran into time constraints and ... and the "better half" (alice?) that was fun ! Welp 8 wks later and much poorer, listened to "weaveswisdom" at "teas" party boy glad he dont charge nothin...thx for your help guys an gals ! ........
( was almost dam*ed near late again ) ;)

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
RE: fugetaboutit!

Hey WR,

Now you can "fugetabout" that first rejection huh!!!

Congratulations on gettin goin, I'm looking forward to hearing how you're doing.

Who did you decide to go with? I wish you the best of luck, and Lord Willin, I'll be back out there with ya soon.. (just waitin til I can pass my DOT physical again.... had a back prob, and BP's a lil to high.. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Back's gettin better tho, and BP is droppin, taken longer cuz I don't wanna be dependant on BP pills when I go back out, doin it thru diet and exercise, the natural way!

Take care of your back out there, and watch your diet! If ya don't, it'll jump up and bite ya in the medical card.. LOL

Dreamer

Whiterabbit

Expert Expediter
RE: fugetaboutit!

Dreamer...THX!, yeah for now its gotta be a "secret", just dont want to jeoprodize anything, i still have to get that last hurdle the orientation thing out of the way. Also breathlessly awaiting my drug test screen results. Ya just never know ,ya know?...Soon ill tell ya about what went down this A.M. it just figures ;)...really quite hillarious . Health stuff? boy have i been thier, i hear ya on the diet thing i heard that the ideal portion of food is the amount they serve on a airplane so first i cut down on the amount thing,and do feel better,kinda eat like a "bird" now actually a lot of snackin on nuts and dried fruit types ,never thought id take a liking to dried plums = pruins, i think. (jeeez have yet to figure how to quit cigarettes to! but gotta do that cause i want to see my new grankid "Collin" grow up cause ,ya see, me an him got us road trip to go on someday! ( hes 4 mo .old and what a prize he is, just started to smile last week regularly like )...Chronic pain eh? Years back i had a cement truck stop on top of my foot, OUCH , i went thru years of pain meds for that 8, to be exact then they put me on that Synthetic morphine stuff, went cold turkey 1 yr ago, yaknow reality is not bad once ya git used to it! :)...LOL...Back problems (or any chronic pain thing) are a B*ite for sure IF I CAN DO IT SO CAN YOU BUD ! Ill be rootin for ya , ya know prayer really helped me out...about two years ago i was up at 3 am (pain thing) i know ya can relate,and turned on the am station an there was this old black lady talkin bout prayer and she started to pray so i joined in with her and halfway thru, and i swear its true, darned if i didnt feel a "popping" sensation in my foot and the ol foot got progressively better... slowly... but its dang good now ,comparitively speaking. Take that for what ya will my friend !.... It WILL be good to meet ya on the road someday ....Welp i gotta heat some leftovers and this weekend im kinda just lockin the olhomestead down as i wont be here much "hopefully?"...boy a major carear (oh heck howdya spell carrear,LOL ) change at my age huh ~ whoda thunk it!~ man thier was a time i was so down i couldnt even see up ,now thats all there is :) ~ WOW ...thx for the good words my friend ! Many blessings,yours W.R.